Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2023, 10:36 PM

Default Dependable autoloading shotgun?

For all you waterfowl hunters out there. What would you say is the most dependable and problem free autoloading shotgun out there? Would a Beretta A400 be a good one?
Old 09-23-2023, 10:43 PM

Beretta, Benelli, Winchester and Browning all make very reliable semi autos. The A400 is an excellent choice, if it fits you, but most hunters really don't understand shotgun fit, or even know what drop at comb and cast are.
Old 09-24-2023, 03:57 AM

A400 x 2

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 09-24-2023, 06:15 AM

As elk said fit is more important than name
I literally went through the entire store mounting and re shouldering shotguns. It was down to the A5 and the Benelli sbe11 for me
I would not get a new sbe11 or sbe111 now as they have point of aim issues.
Go to a store and not even look at the name.
Just start shouldering guns.
Go for lunch try another store. You will know when it fits instantly.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:55 AM

To further add to the topic of fit, many newer semi autos have shims to adjust the fit, the problem is, that if you need to change the drop at comb significantly with shims, the pitch is changed, which can result in your cheek taking a beating. As well, the angle of the comb is changed significantly, making cheek placement very critical, which can be an issue , with straight up, or very low shots. What I personally do, is to close my eyes, shoulder the gun, then without moving, open my eyes, and see if I am looking along the rib, and not down at it, and I also see if the rib is centered left and right. While this isn't a perfect way to check fit, it at least verifies whether the barrel is pointed where you are looking. I find that Beretta and Browning are pretty much opposites, if one fits, the other doesn't, due to large differences in drop at comb.
There are many low priced Turkish made shotguns on the market now, they are the ones that I would avoid, as materials and workmanship can be hit and miss, and you may not find parts years down the road. They may be advertised as Benelli or Beretta clones, but while they look similar, the materials and workmanship are not up to the same standards.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:05 AM

I have had an A 400 for over 15 seasons and shot hundreds of rounds through it. Never had an issue with it. Best gun I ever owned.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:43 AM

In our hunting party, guys have a400s, SBE11s, Browning Maxus, Browning Silver, and Winchester SX3s. All have proven equally reliable. As has been said, fit is everything.

My journey with semis recently has been SBEII, then a400, now Winchester SX3. The Winchester was a fluke. I left home and forgot my shotgun in a hurry. Called Elk11 and asked if he could throw his backup in his truck as I was too far down the road. Damned if it didn’t feel like an extension of my arms. Put my a400 up for sale and bought an SX3. It has proven as reliable as either the SBEII or the a400.

Browning, Beretta, Benelli, and Winchester (manufactured by Browning) all make reliable guns.

If you are in Edmonton go to P&D and talk to Gus. No one else. Phone and ask when he will be in. If in Calgary, take a drive out to Silver Willow Sporting Clays. They understand shotgun fit also.

Good luck.

Last edited by sns2; 09-24-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:02 AM

Any brand that starts with a B is a good rule of thumb imo. I also love the fit, feel, and swing of that F brand and if I did a lot of upland that'd be my choice.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:43 AM

Bennelli Super Black Eagle 2. There is a local bird guide who rents shotguns to his clients so they do not have the cross border hassle.

These guns are many years old and are shot daily from September to November.

There also is a clone in the Stoger 3500 that copies the SBE2.

The sleeper in the bunch is the Weatherby SA8. It is also Turkish build, and it copies a number of well known Italian shotgun actions with tested design.

I actually find both the SBE2 and the SA8 are so similar in performance and reliability that either will serve you for years. But the SA8 is quite a bit less money.

Drewski
Old 09-24-2023, 10:19 AM

Focus on the geometry and fit for the shooter.

I have both the Benelli SBE2 and M2. They are awesome. I tend to favour the SBE2 for the heavier loads and hunting geese from a blind and decoy spread, the M2 for lighter loads and walking for uplands or jumping puddles and canals for ducks. My SBE2 cycles faster than the M2 but the M2 is smoother. I experienced the issues of the SBE3 and would avoid that model.

Several friends have the Beretta A400s. Nice gun but it just does not fit and balance as well as the Benelli models. They are all adjustable so maybe an extra shim or two would make them just as comfortable as my Benellis.

The Browning A5 already mentioned is another good choice. I have used a friend's A5 on several shoots and although I hit every clay and bird, it never felt right. The geometry is not right for me.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:28 AM

Default Dependable autoloading shotgun

Here’s a question for you gentlemen. How often do you need to clean them. I know if you’re in layout blinds it would be more often, but how about just regular shooting situations? Thanks guys.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Here’s a question for you gentlemen. How often do you need to clean them. I know if you’re in layout blinds it would be more often, but how about just regular shooting situations? Thanks guys.
The more often you clean a gas operated shotgun, the easier/quicker it is to clean. I clean mine every 100-200 shots or so, and it takes 15 minutes or so. Sns2 bought an SX-3 that likely had 1500-2000 rounds through it, and I had to soak the gas piston in solvent for hours, and scrub and soak the magazine tube that the piston rides on. That shotgun took an afternoon to get clean, and hopefully he will clean it much more often than the person that he bought it from.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:03 PM

About five years ago I purchased a Turkish made Stoeger 3500 semi auto. This thing cost half what Binelli or Beretta cost and never had a single hick up! I think I paid around $700 back then…
Old 09-24-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
About five years ago I purchased a Turkish made Stoeger 3500 semi auto. This thing cost half what Binelli or Beretta cost and never had a single hick up! I think I paid around $700 back then…
I have the same one m3500, never a hiccup either. I have heard mixed reviews of the smaller m3000 though.

One place has the m3500 on for 26% off.

Bullseye north has some great savings on shotguns right now, and a lot of different makes.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:35 PM

Still have an 1187 I bought 30ish years ago. Now granted I haven't hardly touched it in the last many years, but shot the crap out of it when I still lived out in goose country. Have never cleaned it and it has never missed a beat. Seems pretty dependable
Old 09-24-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Still have an 1187 I bought 30ish years ago. Now granted I haven't hardly touched it in the last many years, but shot the crap out of it when I still lived out in goose country. Have never cleaned it and it has never missed a beat. Seems pretty dependable
I just cleaned an 11-87 that likewise had never been cleaned. Holy hell. It was like a farm implement

BTW, if anyone needs an o-ring (gas seal for an 11-87 or 1100) shoot me a pm.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The sleeper in the bunch is the Weatherby SA8. It is also Turkish build, and it copies a number of well known Italian shotgun actions with tested design.

I actually find both the SBE2 and the SA8 are so similar in performance and reliability that either will serve you for years. But the SA8 is quite a bit less money.

Drewski
I can second this owning both of those guns. The weatherby is only a 3" gun but damn nice to shoot and so far has been very reliable and very quick and easy to clean.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:44 PM

I ran a Remington 11-87 for almost 20 years, cleaned it on average at the start of bird season, used the shotgun thru the spring and summer at trap night too. Of note is buy Teflon o-rings instead of the buna, or the stock offering material, I haven’t changed the o-ring since switching, and my boy now runs it without any troubles.

I’ve ran a Weatherby 18i for 3 seasons now, clean pre waterfowl season and runs 2-2/4 dram trap loads to 3-1/2” crushers without a hick up.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-26-2023, 09:47 AM

I've got about 15 years on one of my SX3's. Very simple to dismantle for cleaning. Its got about 4500 rounds of 3.5" through it and probably 7000 rounds of target load. Only very recently has it started giving me a few jamming issues but I'm pretty sure I bent the shell catch so that's on me. I think once you reach a certain price point theyre all pretty reliable these days.