Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 06:48 PM

Default Stuck Choke Browning Maxus

For the first time in my life I have a seized choke. A month ago shooting skeet it was coming loose. I finger tightened it in only. It was oiled when I put it in with a real heavy oil I use that has served me well for years. I went to change it in the blind the other day and it would not budge. I soaked it in penetrating oil for the past 48 hours and tried it again and broke the tabs off the browning T-Bar wrench. Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in AB so I don't have to ship it across Canada to have it removed? The choke I'm not worried about but the barrel I am.
Pic is of the gun. It's a Maxus Sporting Clays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7711.jpg (26.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-22-2023, 06:57 PM

I have dealt with a few stuck chokes for other people, I would try soaking it overnight in kroil, with the threads fully submerged,then put the barrel in the freezer, then warm the outside of the barrel with a heat gun, then try to remove it again. I bought an all metal Browning crank style choke wrench to remove a stuck choke for a friend, using this technique, after he broke two of the T wrenches. I have found anti seize the absolute best at preventing stuck chokes.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have dealt with a few stuck chokes for other people, I would try soaking it overnight in kroil, with the threads fully submerged,then put the barrel in the freezer, then warm the outside of the barrel with a heat gun, then try to remove it again. I bought an all metal Browning crank style choke wrench to remove a stuck choke for a friend, using this technique, after he broke two of the T wrenches. I have found anti seize the absolute best at preventing stuck chokes.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:34 PM

I used a plastic bag to hold the Kroil, as you can squeeze it around the barrel OD, and tape it, and it takes much less Kroil to keep the threads fully submerged. And you can use a freeze spray on the inside of the choke tube, as you warm up the outside of the barrel, instead of freezing the entire barrel. Expanding the barrel, and shrinking the choke tube seemed to help to loosen the threads. The wrench that I used, is the Browning Universal Speed wrench. You can hold the barrel in a padded vice, and tap the wrench blade to get the choke tube moving.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-22-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I used a plastic bag to hold the Kroil, as you can squeeze it around the barrel OD, and tape it, and it takes much less Kroil to keep the threads fully submerged. And you can use a freeze spray on the inside of the choke tube, as you warm up the outside of the barrel, instead of freezing the entire barrel. Expanding the barrel, and shrinking the choke tube seemed to help to loosen the threads. The wrench that I used, is the Browning Universal Speed wrench. You can hold the barrel in a padded vice, and tap the wrench blade to get the choke tube moving.
I do the exact same thing.
Cat
Old 09-23-2023, 08:48 AM

If the kroil doesn't work give Oscar at ribstone gunsmithing a shout. Talking with him I know he has gotten some real stubborn ones out before.
https://ribstonegunsmithing.ca/

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-23-2023, 09:09 AM

Best of luck getting your choke tube removed.

As another tidbit, use some anti seize compound on your choke tube threads instead of oil.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...-0383775p.html

https://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-Count.../dp/B000GL19WG

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-23-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
If the kroil doesn't work give Oscar at ribstone gunsmithing a shout. Talking with him I know he has gotten some real stubborn ones out before.
https://ribstonegunsmithing.ca/
Geepers I forgot all about him. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 09-25-2023, 11:11 AM

Default Kroil?

Not sure what that is. Had a browning cynergy with stuck full choke so used old wss product called breakfree. Inserted muzzle into sandwich baggie with 2 heavy elastic bands overnight. Took some turning with padded standard browning key but did come out. Wish i had browning crank speed tool but have mostly berettas so cant justify tool for 2 browning shotguns
Old 09-25-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Not sure what that is. Had a browning cynergy with stuck full choke so used old wss product called breakfree. Inserted muzzle into sandwich baggie with 2 heavy elastic bands overnight. Took some turning with padded standard browning key but did come out. Wish i had browning crank speed tool but have mostly berettas so cant justify tool for 2 browning shotguns
Kroil is a very good penetrating oil, that also helps to loosen carbon formed from burning powder.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:45 PM

Default Elk11

Thanks only heard of it on this forum a few times.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:36 PM

Just removed a stuck choke in my SX4.
Tried soaking in penetrating oil, snipe on the T- wrench, heat, nothing budged it. Thought for sure I was headed to a gun smith.
What finally got it out was my 12v impact and heat.
I cut a 1/2" deep slit in a 3/4" socket to slide over the T-wrench, heated the barrel and then a quick rat-tat-tat, and out it came.
Trick is to make sure you don't cut the slit so deep that the socket bottoms out on the barrel. You need to push pretty hard to avoid damaging the notches in the choke.

Threads are a bit tight now, as like any rammy bugger would do, I didn't take my time and work the choke out slowly after it broke free, I just hammered it all the way out with the impact. (Hangs head in shame).
So if anyone may need a 13/16 fine thread tap for thread chasing, I should have one here in a couple days. LOL

Will be using anti-sieze from now on and remove it every few outings.