Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 PM

Default educate me on "fish finders"

looking at picking up a new fish finder this spring. I have only every bought the 100-200$ basic models. Looking at spending under 800$ this go around.

Whats the difference between GPS and Sonar?

I fish 90% of my time for big pike. So I like the idea of being able to tell the where in the water column the warm water meets cold water. It looks like this is only available in GPS units.

I have never used side scanning units before. Would this be helpful when casting for pike on drop offs, weed lines etc?

Ideally I would like a through the hull mount. Does this change whats available to me?

What else do I need to know?

Whats the difference between a 400$ unit and a 800$ unit?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
Whats the difference between a 400$ unit and a 800$ unit?
Well I'm going to get in on this before some other smart guy does.

Answer is about $400
That is all, carry on.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 AM

HDS 5 is in your price range.
Sonar is the "fish finder" which allows you to see your depth and fish
GPS is Global Positioning that allows you to see where you are. Much like whats in one for a car.

Most units will help you identify the thermocline but will not tell you the temperature other than at the surface through the transducer.

The HDS 5 is side scan capable with the addition of LSS2 for about 6
$600.00 - $700.00. You can add that when budget allows.

Side scan would be better with transom mount
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 AM

Also if you do a search there are lots of threads with alot of info.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 AM

Humminbird 597di
Around $600 at Bass Pro
I've been looking for a bit too and it's my 1st choice.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM

For another 100-150 you could get the HDS-5 and down the road add side scan as well. As well as be able to network another HDS if you choose.

And if you get the HDS5 plus an LSS-2(side scan) soon(purchase between 2/14/13-4/7/13)both have to be purchased in that time frame. You can get a $300.00 rebate which should bring price for both to $1000.00 - $1100.00 or so.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-25-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Humminbird 597di
Around $600 at Bass Pro
Second that
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Humminbird 597di
Around $600 at Bass Pro
bought a 597ci a year ago.

used it all last summer and have it coverted to portable now and been using it as a flasher on the ice.

nice to have sonar and gps built in. return to waypoints you saved in the summer etc

awesome unit.

buy the nicest bird you can afford and dont look back!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post

Whats the difference between GPS and Sonar?
I don't think anyone answered this question;

Sonar = a beam shot out of your transducer to return sonar signal which, essentially, "paints a picture" of what is below you. This is most useful to find structure, drop offs, changes in depths, weed-lines and, of course, fish.

GPS / Chart = a beam shot out of your antenna, to a satellite, that tells you, exactly where you are, within a few feet. "Marking" these spots allow you to quickly return to good drop offs, underwater structure, good fishing spots and whatever you choose to "mark" on your unit. Before GPS, I was amazed at "how far off" I was compared to "where I thought I was".

GPS will improve your catch rates.

As far as good units - Lowrance and Humminbird both make excellent products.

A Lowrance HDS 5 or a 597ci HD DI Humminbird are excellent choices.

Add a $150 bucks to the Humminbird (598ci HD SI), at $899, you get side imaging as well. I would suggest the 598 is the best value in the market right now.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Sonar = a beam shot out of your transducer to return sonar signal which, essentially, "paints a picture" of what is below you. This is most useful to find structure, drop offs, changes in depths, weed-lines and, of course, fish.

GPS / Chart = a beam shot out of your antenna, to a satellite, that tells you, exactly where you are, within a few feet. "Marking" these spots allow you to quickly return to good drop offs, underwater structure, good fishing spots and whatever you choose to "mark" on your unit. Before GPS, I was amazed at "how far off" I was compared to "where I thought I was".

Add a $150 bucks to the Humminbird (598ci HD SI), at $899, you get side imaging as well. I would suggest the 598 is the best value in the market right now.
thanks!

I know how GPS works, but I thought for some reason new technology might be using it with fish finders besides just marking spots...
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:

A GPS unit is a reciever only. It does not transmit any signals. It just recieves and interprets signals transmitted from the various GPS Satellites
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=EZM;1864810]I don't think anyone answered this question;

I'm certainly not an expert by any means but here is a simple explanation of basic Sonar and GPS as I understand them.

Sonar is a low frequency sound signal transmitted in Kilohertz (KHz) (Usually 50kHz or 200kHz by most portable units) , from the transducer to a target - usually the lake bottom. The sound waves returning from the lake bottom (echo) are picked up by the transducer then sent to the Sonar unit for interpretation and display.. Any signals returned by an object located above the botton are generally interpreted on the display as Fish. .. other objects such as trees, branches or whatever will be graphically displayed as well.

Signals returned from the bottom are displayed as bands on the bottom of the units display screen. Generally speaking soft bottom (mud for example) echo returns are displayed as wide bands as a soft bottoms absorbs much of the sonar signal and the returned echo signal is weaker. Hard bottom like rock or gravel returns a stronger signal and is indicated on the display as a bolder,narrower band. It does take some time and effort for a user to correctly interpret all the information that is being displayed.

GPS units operate similar to a Sonar units. However, a GPS unit is a receiver only. It does not transmit a signal. It interprets by triangulation and time the signals from the various GPS Satellites it is receiving and displays a very precise Global position, altitude above ground , and other info depending on a particular units capabilities.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=Salavee;1865871]
Quote:

I'm certainly not an expert by any means but here is a simple explanation of basic Sonar and GPS as I understand them.

Sonar is a low frequency sound signal transmitted in Kilohertz (KHz) (Usually 50kHz or 200kHz by most portable units) , from the transducer to a target - usually the lake bottom. The sound waves returning from the lake bottom (echo) are picked up by the transducer then sent to the Sonar unit for interpretation and display.. Any signals returned by an object located above the botton are generally interpreted on the display as Fish. .. other objects such as trees, branches or whatever will be graphically displayed as well.

Signals returned from the bottom are displayed as bands on the bottom of the units display screen. Generally speaking soft bottom (mud for example) echo returns are displayed as wide bands as a soft bottoms absorbs much of the sonar signal and the returned echo signal is weaker. Hard bottom like rock or gravel returns a stronger signal and is indicated on the display as a bolder,narrower band. It does take some time and effort for a user to correctly interpret all the information that is being displayed.

GPS units operate similar to a Sonar units. However, a GPS unit is a receiver only. It does not transmit a signal. It interprets by triangulation and time the signals from the various GPS Satellites it is receiving and displays a very precise Global position, altitude above ground , and other info depending on a particular units capabilities.

Hope some of this helps.
My intent was to provide a basic explaination and difference between the two technologies answering the OP's original question.

I believe the Op's intent was to determine the best technology, and what the basic premise of the technology is, and determine his needs for his intended application or use.

Thank-you, however, for pointing out that a GPS is a reciever and does not actually transmit a signal itself. You are correct a beam does not shoot out of your GPS - It is, indeed, a reciever.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Humminbird 587ci HD DI

Getting my dear wife to pick me up one of these at BPS while down in Calgary. Though it is a discontinued model that should mean that all of the bugs have been worked out of it. I like that it has both traditional Sonar AND down imaging. Quoted price to me was $475 but they dont have many left. I tested out the 597 at Cabelas last week and found it to be very easy to use
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM

hi
getting a FF too for new boat what do ppl thing about garmin GPSmap 431S
price range below $600 and anyone try the iphone FF?
http://buydeeper.com/index.php?route=common/home

this is a 1st time getting FF i dont know if im going to use it that much just want it for cold lake
and what is the DL map thing do i have to get it or can i get it off a friends that has the map? sorry im very new to the fish finder thing
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 AM

There have been a number of fish finder threads in various price ranges you can find them with the search function. Im sure the garmin would be fine though.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Dont know of anyone that has the phone one yet but have heard about them. Stick with the major brands. Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM

Default FF

The only place I have ever seen a Garmin, is a bass boat.$449 us is steep for 4 inch of screen. Once u usde a good sonar, u will b hooked. Lowrance and Hummingbird are the best hands down, just decide on what ur needs r; color screen, side imaging, down imaging, size, networking, ipilot connection,GPS internal or extrenal. Dont worry about price till u decide on options.
HB 798cisi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre2k View Post
hi
getting a FF too for new boat what do ppl thing about garmin GPSmap 431S
price range below $600 and anyone try the iphone FF?
http://buydeeper.com/index.php?route=common/home

this is a 1st time getting FF i dont know if im going to use it that much just want it for cold lake
and what is the DL map thing do i have to get it or can i get it off a friends that has the map? sorry im very new to the fish finder thing