Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2018, 04:24 PM

Default gutless dressing question.

Once you have taken the meat off, what do you prefer to put the meat into to get it out of the woods? Any suggestions for keeping the evidence if sex attached?
Old 11-21-2018, 04:58 PM

I do half the animal at a time. Once it’s off the animal I rest it on the first half (skin side) of the hide. once I’m complete I’ll put it in game bags. Either load your pack right away and come back to do the second half or do it all at once and string it in a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2018, 05:01 PM

Once quarters come off they are in game bags, unless I can put them down in some snow to cool, etc.

Keep the evidence of sex/species attached by not cutting them off, and ensure both are on the same side as you've tagged in AB
Old 11-21-2018, 05:10 PM

If I’m packing it out I put it into kifaru meat bags as seen in the picture. They don’t leak so my pack stays clean. They weigh close to nothing, hold as much or more then I can carry and I can hang them off a branch if I fill more then one.

Couple weeks ago I shot a doe with the boys that we could drive close to. I just boned it out and put it straight in the cooler.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:33 PM

You can leave the hide right on the legs if you want and take them out like that, the rest goes into garbage bags etc.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 PM

Default born and raised

The guys on born and raised skin out a hind quarter with and just cut part of the penis so it stay attached, no need for hair as far as i can tell in regs. but could have missed that part. Would be a bit hard for a female to keep proof but i am sure there is a way. I can remember which youtube video it was but one of their more recent ones
Old 11-21-2018, 07:46 PM

The quarter the tag is attached to retains a teste/mammary and if it’s a deer the tail also remains on that quarter.

LC
Old 11-21-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The quarter the tag is attached to retains a teste/mammary and if it’s a deer the tail also remains on that quarter.

LC
This is what I do
Old 11-21-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
And if it is a six point Elk? And you have a ten km hike to get it back to your vehicle? Keeping those antlers and the hind quarter with the tag attached (and teste) plus the hike out is a serious consideration before pulling the trigger.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:10 PM

Yes, its coming down to the crunch. Thanks for the great replies. I'm getting older so hauling out just meat is my option going forward. I've found animals a lot closer than 10kms.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The evidence of sex, species or class that must be retained is as follows:

moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep - attached to the same part of the animal to which the tag is affixed, one of the following:
testicles, scrotum, or udder, and in the case of deer only, the completely haired tail, or
the head with horns or antlers attached if the animal has horns or antlers, or
the head (complete with the skin on it) if the animal has no horns or antlers, and in addition
the complete skull plate with horns or antlers intact must be retained with the carcass of the male antelope, male elk or male non-trophy sheep
the complete head must be retained with the carcass of a calf moose harvested under authority of a Calf Moose Special Licence.

Head and then the quarters, back strap, neck meat etc all Into the sled/pack

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-22-2018, 11:58 AM

To keep the meat clean, I carry a space blanket with me to put the boned out meat on and game bags to put the meat in.