Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Arrow weights

what’s everyone’s preferred hunting arrows weight including broad head .
Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 PM

I use an 400gr arrow.

LC
Old 02-28-2018, 06:45 PM

Mine came in at 406 last year
Old 02-28-2018, 06:56 PM

415 at 300fps last year giving a heavier insert a try this year arrows are 490 now haven’t chronyed them yet should be 280fps ish hope is that slower speed and higher FOC will help with fixed blade flight.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 PM

465 grains at 292 fps.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:24 PM

At least 10 grains per pound of draw weight...
Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
At least 10 grains per pound of draw weight...
Curious about your reasoning behind this that seems excessively heavy. 700grain arrow for my 70lb bow seems crazy heavy.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:55 AM

Depending on the bow, and what I am hunting ,my arrows weigh from around 500 gr on the light side to 800 gr. Most come in around 620gr.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:03 AM

For the past 7 years, most of the time I’m shooting 530 grains at 290+ fps. If I’m hunting bigger stuff I’ll go heavier but the mid 500 range works well. I’ve had more penetration issues with 400-450 grain arrows then I care to remember and have never had a 550-700 grain arrow stay in any animal on any hit so I like to keep the weight up by today’s standards. Those in vogue, soda straw arrows leave you vulnerable on any bad hit or angle that requires 3’ of penetration. If you do a bit of testing, a heavier arrow (within reason) does very little to your trajectory within “normal” bow range.
I used to have a picture on my phone of two arrows I shot from my bow at 70 yards. They were 420 and 530 grains, difference in vertical POI was about 4”. Difference in penetration potential is significant.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:57 AM

525 grains out of 70# bow, speeding along at whatever speed they fly - doesn't matter what speed they fly 'cause they haven't met an animal that likes them yet.

Have gone through almost all of the animals I've shot at. The ones that didn't make it through still brought the animal down fast (more to do with BH that arrow weight). But the arrow weight does play into whether there's only one hole, or two.

J.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Curious about your reasoning behind this that seems excessively heavy. 700grain arrow for my 70lb bow seems crazy heavy.
The OP didn't say what kind of bow
Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
For the past 7 years, most of the time I’m shooting 530 grains at 290+ fps. If I’m hunting bigger stuff I’ll go heavier but the mid 500 range works well. I’ve had more penetration issues with 400-450 grain arrows then I care to remember and have never had a 550-700 grain arrow stay in any animal on any hit so I like to keep the weight up by today’s standards. Those in vogue, soda straw arrows leave you vulnerable on any bad hit or angle that requires 3’ of penetration. If you do a bit of testing, a heavier arrow (within reason) does very little to your trajectory within “normal” bow range.
I used to have a picture on my phone of two arrows I shot from my bow at 70 yards. They were 420 and 530 grains, difference in vertical POI was about 4”. Difference in penetration potential is significant.
A pass through is a pass through, I have put a few 400gr arrows clean through elk. The old cliche about shot placement is truth.

LC
Old 03-02-2018, 08:42 AM

538 gr arrow ----- 80 lb bow
Old 03-02-2018, 08:59 AM

425 grain arrow @ 60lbs. Gold tip kinetic pierce with 140gr up front.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Arrow weight

I shoot a 400 grain arrow. It is what shoots most consistently and offers the most accuracy. With that I know when the time comes I can put the arrow right where it needs to be. Hitting where you aim is more important than the weight of the arrow IMo.

Morb
Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 AM

I feel as if I'm shooting light compared to others. If I calculated right my arrow set up comes in at 376 grains. 27" draw. 65 lbs. Had a clean passthrough on a mule buck this year. Almost a clean passthrough on a moose last year but my broad got stuck in the opposite shoulder blade.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-03-2018, 12:09 AM

I'm using 530 grain hunting arrows with a 60 pound bow.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
what’s everyone’s preferred hunting arrows weight including broad head .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
525 grains out of 70# bow, speeding along at whatever speed they fly - doesn't matter what speed they fly 'cause they haven't met an animal that likes them yet.

Have gone through almost all of the animals I've shot at. The ones that didn't make it through still brought the animal down fast (more to do with BH that arrow weight). But the arrow weight does play into whether there's only one hole, or two.

J.
Sorry, I didn't read your whole post Mathews. 525 grains total weight that includes a 125 grain BH. At least I think those are the numbers. It's been a while since I put the completed arrows on a scale.

J.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Hey Coil, I'm just wondering what is the differences in flight characteristics at 40 yards between your 530 & 700 weight arrows? Did you ever measure and was it enough to start moving pins?

J.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Hey Coil, I'm just wondering what is the differences in flight characteristics at 40 yards between your 530 & 700 weight arrows? Did you ever measure and was it enough to start moving pins?

J.
It’s significant. I ran a totally separate sight for them so I could switch between setups by changing the sight. The rest and knocking point didn’t need to change between the two setups and both arrows would group fieldpoints with broadheads and bareshafts. From memory they were probably 8-10” lower at 40 yards.
The biggest difference was penetration. I typically practice into a natural sand bank. 400-420 grain shafts go in about 4-5”, 530 grains go in about 12-15”. My 700 grain arrows would bury a 30” shaft, the broadhead and nock about 4-5” under the sand. I had to dig them out.
I did some penetration tests on moose leg bones, my 530 grain arrows break the legs and scapula fairly easily. I’ve done the same thing on animals when I shot a bedded bull elk in the leg where the bone was about the size of a sledgehammer handle. It broke the leg, got both lungs and an exit wound. Anyway, back to the testing on moose legs, the sinewy hocks I couldn’t break at 530 grains. The 700 grain arrows sailed through and buried themselves into my rhino block about 8”.

I initially set them up for water buff, the hunt however fell apart on the way up to the Northern Territory when we stopped at a gas station for fuel and water. The pig dogs got into 1080 and we had to shoot all five of them. The guy who lost the dogs was pretty sad and inevitably irritated the land owner who did a 180 from “come and shoot whatever you want for free” to “water buff are 50k trophy fee, pigs are $500, you want to put your boat in the water? $200 to put it in the water. Needless to say it I didn’t shoot a buff and haven’t made the effort to find another property up there yet.
For north America I’m pretty happy in the mid 500 range. I’ve been let down multiple times with 420 grain arrows so to me they’re a non starter. They work when the hit is perfect but your shot angles are limited and life isn’t perfect.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
It’s significant. I ran a totally separate sight for them so I could switch between setups by changing the sight. The rest and knocking point didn’t need to change between the two setups and both arrows would group fieldpoints with broadheads and bareshafts. From memory they were probably 8-10” lower at 40 yards.
The biggest difference was penetration. I typically practice into a natural sand bank. 400-420 grain shafts go in about 4-5”, 530 grains go in about 12-15”. My 700 grain arrows would bury a 30” shaft, the broadhead and nock about 4-5” under the sand. I had to dig them out.
I did some penetration tests on moose leg bones, my 530 grain arrows break the legs and scapula fairly easily. I’ve done the same thing on animals when I shot a bedded bull elk in the leg where the bone was about the size of a sledgehammer handle. It broke the leg, got both lungs and an exit wound. Anyway, back to the testing on moose legs, the sinewy hocks I couldn’t break at 530 grains. The 700 grain arrows sailed through and buried themselves into my rhino block about 8”.

I initially set them up for water buff, the hunt however fell apart on the way up to the Northern Territory when we stopped at a gas station for fuel and water. The pig dogs got into 1080 and we had to shoot all five of them. The guy who lost the dogs was pretty sad and inevitably irritated the land owner who did a 180 from “come and shoot whatever you want for free” to “water buff are 50k trophy fee, pigs are $500, you want to put your boat in the water? $200 to put it in the water. Needless to say it I didn’t shoot a buff and haven’t made the effort to find another property up there yet.
For north America I’m pretty happy in the mid 500 range. I’ve been let down multiple times with 420 grain arrows so to me they’re a non starter. They work when the hit is perfect but your shot angles are limited and life isn’t perfect.
Wow! That's a ton of information - thanks!

Must've been hard to deal with the hunt that never worked out, knowing that all the work you put into it was for nothing. But you did come away with some valuable information (who not to deal with again, heavy arrow testing).

Thanks for the input

J.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 PM

80 lbs, 700 grain, 175gr up front. 150 spine. Hammers I call em.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 AM

My current arrows are sitting at 426gr. I do have a few brass weights kicking around. Was thinking of trying testing out 500 to 550-ish. My 426gr are currently traveling at 301fps. will be interesting to see and try them out.