Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-01-2014, 04:19 AM

Yea i shot 4 of them of about 12-15 wolves a cple years ago,the rest of the pack was howling like crazy,heart was pumping pretty good too and only had 2 bullets left on me and it was starting to get dark.Was a pretty good adrenaline rush that was.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Way cool, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 PM

Never had the pleasure of drawing down on a Wolf , but was the kill site from some hunters a few days after.
All that was left was the head(antlers removed) and a sphincter...then i heard the wolves in the tree line 35 yrds away and what a sound that was.
Trouble was one gun and three rounds and the girlfriend was beside me.
Just a we bit unnerving and a very cool experience at the same time.
Thanks for sharing your video and pictures and story.
Rob
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 PM

The long howls on the video remind me of how I felt when I lost my mate.
Sounds like a heartfelt "where are you?" locating howl.

Thanks for sharing. It brings up a reminiscence moment for me. .

35 Years ago when I was a surveyers helper and cutting a cutline north of Goose Lake, AB... one night a pack of several wolves surrounded the tracked nodwell that the 2 of us were living in and commenced to serenade us with their best stereo rendition of a bush symphony in E minor. Sounded like they were 10 yards away on that moonless dark night. It was the best because they were around us, real close, and we were safe even with the windows down. Their enchanting arias are etched in my sound memory for ever. Their nearby howls were more upbeat and more of a gathering. And we were in the center. Heard the wolves almost every night of the 35 straight days we were surveying. It was like they were following us like a group of traveling mistrels. Only the one night that they so close though.
I would love to fall asleep to the sound of the wolves lullaby once more.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:34 PM

(Resurrecting an old thread, I know...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The long howls on the video remind me of how I felt when I lost my mate.
Sounds like a heartfelt "where are you?" locating howl.

Thanks for sharing. It brings up a reminiscence moment for me. .

35 Years ago when I was a surveyers helper and cutting a cutline north of Goose Lake, AB... one night a pack of several wolves surrounded the tracked nodwell that the 2 of us were living in and commenced to serenade us with their best stereo rendition of a bush symphony in E minor. Sounded like they were 10 yards away on that moonless dark night. It was the best because they were around us, real close, and we were safe even with the windows down. Their enchanting arias are etched in my sound memory for ever. Their nearby howls were more upbeat and more of a gathering. And we were in the center. Heard the wolves almost every night of the 35 straight days we were surveying. It was like they were following us like a group of traveling mistrels. Only the one night that they so close though.
I would love to fall asleep to the sound of the wolves lullaby once more.
That is really well put, Red. I was in that area a few weeks ago and a pack of wolves ran out and started howling just between us and our truck (they sounded like they were closer, but we found their fresh tracks on the trail later), while we were dragging my son's deer out.

It was the first time that I could share that sound with my kids. It did put my boys on edge, and I just had to smile. I love telling them the stories of my encounters, and now they get to experience the same.

I have to say, I'm somewhat conflicted about shooting wolves and coyotes. I want to participate in controlling predators, and I am ready and willing to do it when the opportunity arises, but I guess I'm still a softie in some respects.

Even deer and grouse, I still feel a pang of sadness about it, but I love the hunt, I love the camaraderie, pitting my wits against the survival instincts of an game animal on its home turf... And I love how they taste.