Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM

Default Your favourite fishing spot?

I am a newbie so I've only been to Travers and Red Deer River near a small town in Drumheller. I like Travers, lot of Walleyes. It's just the barbed wired fences and signs a little intimidating to me, especially at midnight!

You?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchC View Post
I am a newbie so I've only been to Travers and Red Deer River near a small town in Drumheller. I like Travers, lot of Walleyes. It's just the barbed wired fences and signs a little intimidating to me, especially at midnight!

You?
Freeman river, a long ways away from a bridge, peaceful with decent grayling
Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Gone Hunting

My favourite fishing hole is Paulette Bay on the south shore of Great Slave Lake about eighty miles east of Hay River.

Over the years I have had a number of favourites.
The south and North ends of Coal Lake near Wetaskiwin.
The Ram River from the falls to Hummingbird Creek.
The mouth of the Buffalo River south of Tompkins Ferry.
The Wolvarine River at Carcajou.
The mouth of the Notikewin River at Notikewin Park.
Grayling Creek on the Chinchaga Forestry road west of Manning
And others.

Most are no longer good fishing but Paulette Bay still provides great fishing at the right time of year. So it is now my favourite place to go, when I can.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 AM

Easy answer-Columbia River Oregon
Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 AM

No one will share their particular favourite spots especially with a newbie Judt fish a little bit more and you will find some nice spots for sure
Old 07-17-2011, 06:51 AM

Lots of good fly rivers and creeks in S. Alberta...I prefer the ones where I can get away from the mobs, and spend the day hooking into a few trout. They don't have to be gigantic (that's a bonus)...I'm happy with a bunch of 6-8 inch cutties in a small, subalpine stream.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Anywhere that holds fish
Prefer rivers
Welcome to a lifelong addiction
Cheers n Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 PM

Red Deer River hasn't been kind to me. I think I'll try again next week. It's quickly becoming an addiction! I am screwed! LOL.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 PM

anywhere far away from everyone else...that is the best
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Red Deer River hasn't been kind to me. I think I'll try again next week. It's quickly becoming an addiction! I am screwed! LOL.
im gonna start fishing the RDR as soon as augest hit and its gonna be fished by me until i can consistanly take 20 browns a day(doubt it) but ya once it clears up stalk the edges and you should get alot of goldeye and rockies with a few browns(dont expect to get many)
fishing brown and yellow hoppers work wonders for just about everyfish in there.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Try fishing the current breaks along the back eddies. Get some double twister tail jigs in yellow and white. Fish them slow right where the slow water of the eddy meet the faster water of the main current.

Or get some earth worms. Put a worm on a small hook about a foot below a float and float that down stretches of gentle current, the slower the better.

Alternately, you can let the bait sit right on the bottom, but expect to catch more suckers then anything else if you do.
To bait fish the bottom, a worm on a small hook, about six inches from a sinker that is just large enough to hold the bait in the current you are fishing.

Slow current will get you Goldeye, medium current and current breaks will be where the Walleye hang out. Pike will show up anywhere, but prefer little to no current.

Downsteam of the City you will find Goldeye, Walleye, and Pike. The further east you go the more and larger they will be. West of the city you will find more Trout. I didn't fish west of the city but it is my understanding that there are Rainbows and Brown Trout within fifty miles west of the City, with more Browns the further West you go. But as I say, that is second hand information.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Try fishing the current breaks along the back eddies. Get some double twister tail jigs in yellow and white. Fish them slow right where the slow water of the eddy meet the faster water of the main current.

Or get some earth worms. Put a worm on a small hook about a foot below a float and float that down stretches of gentle current, the slower the better.

Alternately, you can let the bait sit right on the bottom, but expect to catch more suckers then anything else if you do.
To bait fish the bottom, a worm on a small hook, about six inches from a sinker that is just large enough to hold the bait in the current you are fishing.

Slow current will get you Goldeye, medium current and current breaks will be where the Walleye hang out. Pike will show up anywhere, but prefer little to no current.

Downsteam of the City you will find Goldeye, Walleye, and Pike. The further east you go the more and larger they will be. West of the city you will find more Trout. I didn't fish west of the city but it is my understanding that there are Rainbows and Brown Trout within fifty miles west of the City, with more Browns the further West you go. But as I say, that is second hand information.
Thanks alot! I am a newbie so I needa digest your infos a lil' bit or talk to my pal.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Gone Hunting

It takes time and experimentation to find the fish and figure out what they want.
Don't expect instant success. We can give you a starting, but it'll take time and patience to get the hang of it.

The best advice I can give you is, be patient. Watch other fisherman, note who is catching and when and where they are catching.
Most folks are reluctant to help a beginner they don't know personally. Remember that. Some will deliberately give you false information.
Discrete observation is generally more reliable then what folks will say.
You don't need to know exactly what they are doing, knowing where and when is over half the battle.