Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Huatulco or Ixtapa ?

Just wondering what people would recommend in regards to Huatulco or Ixtapa Mexico ? Many years ago when Huatulco was not popular, we stayed at the Gala when it was only the second resort there, enjoyed the trip and the mid 30's weather.

Thinking of going back this year, Ixapa was a place my parents talked about, never been there so thought this may be of interest as well...

This vacation is more so just a sit back and relax, have been all over the world already, most popular tropical destination as well.... Been there done that with tours, so not looking for much more than getting fat and lazy on a beach..

Any good and bad about these two destinations ?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Just wondering what people would recommend in regards to Huatulco or Ixtapa Mexico ? Many years ago when Huatulco was not popular, we stayed at the Gala when it was only the second resort there, enjoyed the trip and the mid 30's weather.

Thinking of going back this year, Ixapa was a place my parents talked about, never been there so thought this may be of interest as well...

This vacation is more so just a sit back and relax, have been all over the world already, most popular tropical destination as well.... Been there done that with tours, so not looking for much more than getting fat and lazy on a beach..

Any good and bad about these two destinations ?
I have only been to Huatulco and it was a lot of fun. The food was good enough but the only real negative to me about it was that the ocean is pretty rough there. There did happen to be an earth quake in Japan a week or something before we got there so you could not really swim much. Not much point in snorkeling because it was too murky.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Banned

A few years ago we spent a week at Las Brisas in Huatulco. If laid back and relaxing is your thing then I would say that you'd enjoy it there. The beach is on the sheltered side of the bay so you don't get the wind and waves that the other resorts there get. Secrets was in the middle of the bay and hardly anyone used the beach there due to the wind. If you are into snorkeling there's a reef right at the beach in one area. We were lucky enough to watch a couple of whales from our deck at an ocean view room.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:23 PM

did the same at las Brisas in Huatulco 4 years ago, can't wait to go back. bay and beach is sheltered. doesn't get any better!!
Old 09-20-2019, 07:16 PM

Been to Huatulco twice and loved it, the first time was at a the Camino Real, second time was at the Barcelo. Personally I like the Camino Real a more, the crowd was a far bit older than myself and my wife, but just a very chill atmosphere. No buffet but the food was great. The Barcelo was hyperactive to the point of being annoying IMO, big buffets full of food that ranged from good to mediocre.

Good snorkeling right off the beach at most of the resorts, pretty much anywhere you can see rocks you will find good numbers of fish. When the ocean got rough we enjoyed body surfing. We found a guy there that does Canyoning trips up some of the rivers (google it if you don't know what canyoning is, its a friggin' blast), great way to spend a day.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:28 AM

I have been to Huatulco Las Brisas twice and Ixtapa La Brisas once. Both great resorts and areas and we are heading back to Ixtapa Las Brisas this winter again. I would have to say Ixtapa is somewhat nicer than Huatulco. Both are great for relaxing but the Ixtapa Las Brisas served bottled beer as part of the all inclusive package and I love beer!!!
From Ixtapa you can also visit Zihuatanejo which is an old Mexican City.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
I have been to Huatulco Las Brisas twice and Ixtapa La Brisas once. Both great resorts and areas and we are heading back to Ixtapa Las Brisas this winter again. I would have to say Ixtapa is somewhat nicer than Huatulco. Both are great for relaxing but the Ixtapa Las Brisas served bottled beer as part of the all inclusive package and I love beer!!!
From Ixtapa you can also visit Zihuatanejo which is an old Mexican City.
Both the Huatulco resorts I stayed at served bottled beer as part of the package.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone for the input, sounds like the warden is leaning towards Ixtapa… She found out we could release baby turtles and her mind was made up...

Cheers.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input, sounds like the warden is leaning towards Ixtapa… She found out we could release baby turtles and her mind was made up...

Cheers.
Yup....they did that right on the beach (private) in front of Las Brisas Ixtapa.....pretty cool to see!!

Have to agree with the "Warden"
PS: Fishing was stellar if you get a chance