Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Default Youth (1st time) hunters

I have a question, and I've scoured the regs, and even phoned the RELM folks (the wildlife office is closed) so please don't jump my ass and tell me to read the regulations as we were all confused on this. The AHEIA site seems to be down as well.

The regs speak to the fact that a youth (12-17) with a valid youth WIN, may purchase a youth white tail and youth mule deer license. It doesn't say they have to have completed the Hunter Education Course. I was under the impression they had to, but it doesn't appear to be very clear. I will obviously follow up with my local office tomorrow, but curious if you folks have some insight on this. I have never paid attention to the youth piece in the past, the kids weren't old enough, but here we are...
I appreciate it and I could very well be missing something and apologize in advance if I am.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter_G View Post
I have a question, and I've scoured the regs, and even phoned the RELM folks (the wildlife office is closed) so please don't jump my ass and tell me to read the regulations as we were all confused on this. The AHEIA site seems to be down as well.

The regs speak to the fact that a youth (12-17) with a valid youth WIN, may purchase a youth white tail and youth mule deer license. It doesn't say they have to have completed the Hunter Education Course. I was under the impression they had to, but it doesn't appear to be very clear. I will obviously follow up with my local office tomorrow, but curious if you folks have some insight on this. I have never paid attention to the youth piece in the past, the kids weren't old enough, but here we are...
I appreciate it and I could very well be missing something and apologize in advance if I am.
You would need to pass the test to get a the appropriate classification of WIN card if I remember correctly. Anybody can get a WIN card for purchasing a fishing license but they are suppose to ask at the time of registration if you have completed the hunting course if you want to purchase hunting tags etc..
Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 PM

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...encecosts.html

Quote:
Licensing requirements for first-time hunters
NOTE: all new first-time hunters who have qualified for obtaining recreational hunting licences by successfully completing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter education course, will be required to provide on their WiN profile, their hunter certificate number that is issued to each course graduate, in order to be eligible to purchase a hunting licence.

A first-time hunter is a hunter who 1) has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere, or 2) has not prior to April 1, 2010, met Alberta first-time hunter criteria, or 3) has not successfully completed a hunter education course in Alberta or elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:14 PM

There you have it then, had to keep reading. Figured the confusion was going to be on me. Thanks for that.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Infugure out my follow up

Last edited by alder; 09-18-2019 at 06:34 PM.