Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 07:01 AM

Default Vortex optics?

I don't have a horse in the race, but have read quite a few posts on AO about the quality of Vortex optics, in particular I'm talking about rifle scopes and how they match up to lots of high level brands (Leica / Swavorski / etc)

However, that being said I'm on AO at least 3X per day always browsing the Buy and Sell section. In the "Optics for sale" portion, Vortex is the name I see more often than any other brand.

I've always been a Bushnell guy (rangefinders, rifle scopes) based on what I get for the money output and have just recently bought my first Leopold (great deal $ and it matched the rifle look I was going for). Both the Bushnell and Leopold have been good for me throughout my travels. My brother has Vortex binos and while he's happy with them, I can't tell any difference between those and my own Bushnell binos (both are mid-level optics).

And yet, the Vortex seem priced higher (both new and used condition) than other brands?

Am I missing something here? Or does it come down to buyer remorse that there are so many Vortex up for sale?

I'm kind of intrigued by the brand, but not enough to spend the $ to satisfy my curiosity about it.

What's your $0.02?

J.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 AM

I bought a MARCH scope that list for 3200.00 US. It was used and I did not pay that price for it, but was it ever good. It kept point of aim, not that other scopes won't, but you get what you pay for. Standard practice is the scope should be the cost of the rifle.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:19 AM

I had two Leupold’s in my safe then bought my first vortex because of the hype and price (were cheaper then) and I wasn’t that happy with it. Tracking was off when I zeroed the rifle compared to my 2 Leupold’s (both VX-2 3-9x50). I still got it zeroed but not as smooth as the Leupold scopes. Even my VX Freedom 1-4x20 tracked better and zeroed in 3 shots at 100 yards. All my rifles wear Leupold’s, and that’s about 12 of them.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:26 AM

Vortex make scopes which cover off alot of the market, unlike most higher priced offerings from "high-end" manufacturers.

I've had Vortex riflescopes in the past on a couple of rifles and really liked them. Then one day I looked through a Swarovski and I knew that if I ever changed scopes, that'd be where I went. It wasn't too long before I ponied up the money and switched.

Vortex are very good scopes, there's just better out there.

Regarding your price question, I wonder if Vortex price in to account for the seamless, no questions asked warranty they offer?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:26 AM

I have leupold, Leica, Swarovski, bushnell and Vortex glass. All are higher end of the lines.I only have one Vortex scope which is an HS-T and for my eyes it has the poorest clarity. Won't buy another Vortex.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Post Marketing and company history

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I don't have a horse in the race, but have read quite a few posts on AO about the quality of Vortex optics, in particular I'm talking about rifle scopes and how they match up to lots of high level brands (Leica / Swavorski / etc)
And yet, the Vortex seem priced higher (both new and used condition) than other brands?
What's your $0.02?

J.
The Vortex brand rode the wave of American patriotism with reasonable quality products, great warranty service (compared to other manufacturers) and a Marketing program perfectly tailored to the North American culture of the time.
Consider this company statement:
Quote:
Since 1986 we have been and remain an American Owned, Veteran Owned, Family owned and operated business of hard-working folks located here in south Wisconsin
Their big claim to fame as an American owned and operated company that manufactured their products in quality controlled Japanese facilities, versus the faceless corporations that manufactured low quality products in China, created a loyal following. Fast forward a few years and they started manufacturing in the Phillipines, and then introduced Chinese manufactured entry level products to compete with, and take market share from the lower price point competition.
There used to be very definite company statements, and price differential, between their various product offerings. Now? Not so much.

The Vortex corporation has become a victim of its own success, and is no longer distinguishable from its competitors. But, they still have a loyal following based on their corporate history. That keeps the prices up, just like Toyota.
They still make some good products, same as the other guys.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 AM

I run Burris and Bushnell.
Had a vortex scope, it broke got a new one and it broke also. Wouldnt stay zeroed. Issues with build quailty and cheap parts.
Bottom line is if you have to buy their high end line to get reliability then spend your money elsewhere.
Cost of scope was $1200. Not cheap but not expensive. For that money I expect it to work though.
Friends dont let friends buy vortex scopes.
Their binos and range finders are pretty decent for the money.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
The Vortex brand rode the wave of American patriotism with reasonable quality products, great warranty service (compared to other manufacturers) and a Marketing program perfectly tailored to the North American culture of the time.
Consider this company statement:

Their big claim to fame as an American owned and operated company that manufactured their products in quality controlled Japanese facilities, versus the faceless corporations that manufactured low quality products in China, created a loyal following. Fast forward a few years and they started manufacturing in the Phillipines, and then introduced Chinese manufactured entry level products to compete with, and take market share from the lower price point competition.
There used to be very definite company statements, and price differential, between their various product offerings. Now? Not so much.

The Vortex corporation has become a victim of its own success, and is no longer distinguishable from its competitors. But, they still have a loyal following based on their corporate history. That keeps the prices up, just like Toyota.
They still make some good products, same as the other guys.
I think that the highlighted statements above must have contributed greatly to Vortex's rise in popularity. This seems to explain a lot.

But perhaps it's their products from later years that didn't match up to the first generations quality that I see for sale so often?

Thanks for the input everyone.

J.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:47 PM

I like their optics a lot. Have a long range scope, binos and range finder. Warranty and ease to deal with is absolute top notch.

I noticed that the hinge on my binos was a bit loose but it was hunting season and I could live with it. Emailed them just to get the form and they said they'd either send me a loaner pair immediately or guarantee a one week turn around to fix mine.

Really though, today's optics are pretty darn good for the money you pay. It really boils down to personal choice.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Vortex

I purchased a new pair of viper HD 12x50 bino for my son and he has had nothing but probs with them,how does this so call great Waranty work,do I take them back to the store I purchased them at ?? Pls pass on any Waranty info, thanks and it is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I purchased a new pair of viper HD 12x50 bino for my son and he has had nothing but probs with them,how does this so call great Waranty work,do I take them back to the store I purchased them at ?? Pls pass on any Waranty info, thanks and it is appreciated.
Find 'Vortex Optics'..... Vortex.ca and email them, and tell them what the problem is. They'll tell you what to do.
They got back to me within 12 hours.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Some of vortex stuff is top notch, and other is botton of the barrel very similiar to bushnell.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:43 PM

I have one pair of vortex binoculars, that’s all I own for vortex. So I don’t have much input. I do often worry when EVERYONE talks about how good a companies warranty is. If Im out on a big hunt or packed in, I would rather reliability than warranty.

With that being said I have one season with these as my main binos and have had no issues as of yet.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:02 PM

Here's my take, having made purchasing errors in the past .......

Entry level Vortex is no different compared to other entry level brands, not better, not worse. All cheap scopes are cheap. Vortex, however, is priced higher in these categories.

On mid level scopes - Vortex aspires to reach a "middle market quality" and makes attempts to compare itself with better brands like Leopold which at dollar for dollar isn't even a contest - the Vortex doesn't perform, doesn't compare. See all of them for sale, and read any thread, it says it all - exact same experience as mine having made this mistake (one came with a gun and the other was a "sale" purchase) both were inferior and had issues.

On high end scopes - and to compare a Vortex to a Swaro? ....... not worth wasting a breath discussing - they don't make anything in the same stratosphere .....
Old 09-20-2019, 07:19 PM

A lot of guys are running vortex razors and having great luck with them in competition shooting at high levels. Maybe they are sponsored...
Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I have leupold, Leica, Swarovski, bushnell and Vortex glass. All are higher end of the lines.I only have one Vortex scope which is an HS-T and for my eyes it has the poorest clarity. Won't buy another Vortex.
Same here.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:51 PM

as a X Pro Staff for vortex i can tell you one thing,,, I use Leupold and Sig glass going forward ... Just trust me
Old 09-20-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
as a X Pro Staff for vortex i can tell you one thing,,, I use Leupold and Sig glass going forward ... Just trust me
Hey I think you sold me a vortex... haha
Old 09-21-2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
A lot of guys are running vortex razors and having great luck with them in competition shooting at high levels. Maybe they are sponsored...
Jerry does have a point. I think in the last 3 years the amount of vortex scopes being used at competitions/ long range has gone through the roof compared to other high end scope brands. I’ll try to find the link.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:52 AM

Here it is, from Precision Rifle Blog.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/