Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Default So many coyotes this year!

I cant remember the last time I've seen so many coyotes over the course of a winter. The hunting has been great, Ive shot 15 in just my last 3 morning outings. They were really coming in hard to the calls yesterday, both howling and rabbit distress.

My favourite set from yesterday happened when I was to my next set up spot along a high peak overlooking the river. As I was driving, I noticed something on the middle of the river ice and a quick check with my binos confirmed that it was a coyote feeding on a dead deer. I made my way down and around to the general area as fast as I could, hoping to sneak over the river bank and pick the coyote right off the deer carcass, but when I arrived the coyote was already gone. I knew that coyote was obviously in feed mode more so than breed mode, so I went straight to the rabbit call and within 30 seconds I had 2 dogs making a mad dash at me from the other side of the river.

Its amazing how quick and sneak they are - I saw where they were going to come the bank on my side and got set up so I was already scoped in on the spot I thought they would crest over, but after about 5 minutes I still hadn't seen them. I started to scratch my head as I figured there was no way they could get by me without me seeing them. I just happened to turn around and look completely behind me and, sure enough, there they were looking around. I layed flat so that I could swivel my gun around then hit the rabbit distress one more time, they honed right in on the sound and came in on the trot. Once they got 50 yards or so I opened up and managed to take both of em. Once I got up and inspected the area I noticed that they had managed to sneak up a small crack in the ground that was no more than 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep - freaking sneak buggers!

Anyways, just thought Id sure a cool story from yesterday and encourage everyone to get out there and snap up some dogs! For every dog Ive shot Ive easily seen 4-5 more than I haven't been able to bag, there is just tons of them out there!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Congrats on the great coyote hunting What were you shooting them with?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Default So many coyotes this year.

Good going on the hounds! I was out yesterday and saw a bunch of them too. Called in 6, and shot 5. Pulled a triple in one spot, started calling and out popped the first dog. Shot him and continued calling. 10 minutes later out came dog number 2, dropped him 10 yards from the first one. I was going to leave, but as I was getting up, I heard a coyote howl fairly close, so I gave him a challenge call, and out he came. The .204 dropped him within 10 yards of the first 2. I wish it would happen like that all the time. Dragging all 3 along with my gear was another story. They really seem to be where the deer are yarding up. Find the deer, and there's at least a couple of dogs hanging around them. One field had 5 coyotes that I could see out with the feeding deer. Keep on hammering those buggers! Averaging between 30 and 40 bucks apiece for them.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Great story icefisher !!!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:56 PM

Just curious where you take the coyotes to! I haven't really hunted them before, my wife told me if I could make some cash on the hides she would be more than willing to let me hunt them!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
my wife told me if I could make some cash on the hides she would be more than willing to let me hunt them!

I really hope you are joking
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM

I quit hunting for hides a couple years ago .. No money in it then , don't think it's any different now .
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM

I am serious about the hides! I don't have any use for them, but don't want to let them go to waste! I don't really care about cash, but it would be nice to find a place to take em! And as for the wife comment, she is pretty against killing stuff for no reason! Me on the other hand! I like shooting stuff! But I would still like to see them get used for something! Glad I gave you guys a few laughs!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I am serious about the hides! I don't have any use for them, but don't want to let them go to waste! I don't really care about cash, but it would be nice to find a place to take em! And as for the wife comment, she is pretty against killing stuff for no reason! Me on the other hand! I like shooting stuff! But I would still like to see them get used for something! Glad I gave you guys a few laughs!
Yes , I would like to have it worth while to pick them up and skin them but the way things are now in the fur industry with a lack of interest, I can't see much money coming back .the guys that say they are making good money at it .. 20-25$ each .. that's not good enough for me to bother with .. i'll continue shooting them and feeding em to the eagles in the hopes that birds leave the pheasants and grouse alone for a day .
Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM

There are definitely a lot around, but they are really out-and-about due to the cold, snowy winter, making themselves more exposed to us. They are hungry!

Went out last weekend. Got five in one day, should of had more. Between my brother and i, we saw 32 coyotes on the holiday Monday!

Like someone said above, looks like the fur is selling for between $5 and $25 bucks! Gotta shoot a boatload just to pay for your gas to deliver them to fur buyer.....
Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Good going on the hounds! I was out yesterday and saw a bunch of them too. Called in 6, and shot 5. Pulled a triple in one spot, started calling and out popped the first dog. Shot him and continued calling. 10 minutes later out came dog number 2, dropped him 10 yards from the first one. I was going to leave, but as I was getting up, I heard a coyote howl fairly close, so I gave him a challenge call, and out he came. The .204 dropped him within 10 yards of the first 2. I wish it would happen like that all the time. Dragging all 3 along with my gear was another story. They really seem to be where the deer are yarding up. Find the deer, and there's at least a couple of dogs hanging around them. One field had 5 coyotes that I could see out with the feeding deer. Keep on hammering those buggers! Averaging between 30 and 40 bucks apiece for them.
Wow now that's some great action! It gets pretty exciting when things get hot and heavy like that!

280Hunter, I'm running a .243 with 55gr. Noslers - does the trick quite nicely!

Wanted to go out this morning as the conditions were just awesome - -15, no wind, and just a light skiff of snow to show fresh tracks. Wanted to take the old man out and call a few in for him but he decided to sleep in instead. Ill be able to get a couple more times in the next several days so I decided to stay in as well - kind of regretting that decision now though haha.

bowhunter, not sure about buyers in your area as I'm located in Medicine Hat, but I'm sure if you were able to get into contact with any of the local trappers or similar types in your area they would likely be able to point you in the right direction. Also, if you have any Hutterities in your area they are typically willing to buy hides.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Default Prices way up

Best look at the prices posted by Yoteman...this weekend there will be alot of truck traffic and coyote calling I'm thinking...top of the sale over 300 bucks lots around 100 bucks!!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 PM

icefisher, i'm sending you an email. Look at the prices I posted under gen. discussion for the yotes. Holy S... I don't know how to send a pm. I'm going to pick your brain on your .243 load that you have. If I can't get through please email. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM

trigger7mm. I'm going to try to send you a pm on the price of yotes .... don't sell them to anybody for cash. Mind you the good yotes are going down hill now. I'm only taking what I have to for the predation program I'm involved with.