Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Me thinx he may have a little less if this gets investigated.

Paying extra for a bigger sheep....when the other guys in camp are $20K+ into the same hunt......not cool.

Did he put it in "the book"??

tm
No it did not make book. Nice ram but not in the book.
Nothing illegal about flying over soem rams on the way to your campsite and waiting the proper time to go hunt them. If you are harrassing them then yes. Outfitters scout animals all the time with the use of a plane or helicopter.

AS for the story of him paying more. That is what I was told. The guy could have been flaunting his money to me I don't know but it sure made me think if a guy had offered more money on a guided trip would he have a better chance at a bigger animal? TJ is right in that any decent outfitter would not do this and I believe that the majority out there would not but money does talk from what I have been told.

ILUVTRAPPIN- My involvement in helping book this cllient was not much help. I simply gave him my thoughts on who I would go with and he wanted to know who did easier hunts like flying in on top of a mountain or helicopter style hunts. I let him know a few guys that did it and he did his own bookings.

Not sure why all of the excitement here as I do not believe anything illegall was done.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Outfitters scout animals all the time with the use of a plane or helicopter.

Not sure why all of the excitement here as I do not believe anything illegall was done.
You ask the outfitter to send a letter to the ENR Dept. of the GNWT and tell them that they do this and see what response they get. It will probably expedite things if they showed up in person and told them.

If the ENR Dept. is aware of it and not enforcing it then so be it (I doubt this to be the case). I would think that they are not aware of it.

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I let him know a few guys that did it and he did his own bookings.
lol....a "decent" outfitter would have sent you your commission

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM

I'll send you a pm Tundra so I can get some info.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
AS for the story of him paying more. That is what I was told. The guy could have been flaunting his money to me I don't know but it sure made me think if a guy had offered more money on a guided trip would he have a better chance at a bigger animal? TJ is right in that any decent outfitter would not do this and I believe that the majority out there would not but money does talk from what I have been told.
""that's what I was told".....you're gonna get someone in a heap big buncha hullabaloo, or make a bad name for yourself gum flapping like that!

Have had two buddies go out with Lancaster's.....one got a heavy 12 yo ram right the next day after the required wait time. And another it took several days, very much your typical backpack sheep hunt.
Both had nothing bad to say.....good experiences.
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

Just to set the record straight, no one said Lancasters werent good outfitters. I simply stated I dont like their style of hunting and that of a few other outfitters that do the same style of hunting.

And the same as me not agreeing with certain outfitters that are running all over the Yukon in Argos! Doesnt mean guys dont get their animals or have decent hunts. But also doesnt mean that everyone likes that type of hunt.

Just a side note on a few outfitters reasoning on landing hunters on top. It opens up a whole new client base of sheep hunters that arent as inclined to climb as much.

To me if you wanna hunt sheep climb the mountain, everyone that needs to be.
SG
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Just a side note on a few outfitters reasoning on landing hunters on top. It opens up a whole new client base of sheep hunters that arent as inclined to climb as much. SG
Maybe I just feel a little need to justify some stuff you.

Here's why we did it this year...made sense. Crap load of work getting up there. Would I do it again....probably. One nice thing from being up there is you can see pretty much everything....except the mountain that your on lol. So bit of a detractor....lesson learned. Walking along the top is like skipping compared to being on the bottom. But of course you see the sheep on the other mt right..so down and up. Your mileage I would say pretty much doubles up there in our old mts....great travel up there....this is what I like. It has advantages and detractors to it. There is no real advantage to it....just different.

So basically we fly 70 to 100 miles and walk 10 - 40 more. Climb up and down a few mts.

Does it make me less of a man because I don't sit on a horse for 2O miles and climb one mountain. The last thing I wanna wonder about after sleeping in a tent with a dude is "why my azz is sore....oh yeahh....it was the horse"

I get you're point SG....but it ain't all roses man.

tm
Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Horse hunting is nice, if you like horses. It is a lot of work, and a lot of time jacking around with the horses. Plenty of time is spent looking after them.

If you can dole out 20 k for a hunt, and its a once in a lifetime thing, pick some where with great odds, and start training so you don't run out of gas on the hill.

I have taken more than a couple fellows up on horses who had more cigarettes than ammo in there packs.

It all can work, anywhere. Just bring a positive attitude and enjoy it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe I just feel a little need to justify some stuff you.

Here's why we did it this year...made sense. Crap load of work getting up there. Would I do it again....probably. One nice thing from being up there is you can see pretty much everything....except the mountain that your on lol. So bit of a detractor....lesson learned. Walking along the top is like skipping compared to being on the bottom. But of course you see the sheep on the other mt right..so down and up. Your mileage I would say pretty much doubles up there in our old mts....great travel up there....this is what I like. It has advantages and detractors to it. There is no real advantage to it....just different.

So basically we fly 70 to 100 miles and walk 10 - 40 more. Climb up and down a few mts.

Does it make me less of a man because I don't sit on a horse for 2O miles and climb one mountain. The last thing I wanna wonder about after sleeping in a tent with a dude is "why my azz is sore....oh yeahh....it was the horse"

I get you're point SG....but it ain't all roses man.

tm
Never said one thing about haveing to use horses. Im all for back packing and have 2 back pack hunts planned for this season for goats and sheep. Like I said personal opinion. And many guys that hunt from on top do put on miles such as you. But many dont. A close friend of mine guided for an outfitter last fall in the NWT and he said he wouldnt have walked 40miles in 5 or 6 hunts. They hunted the ridges they could access from on top. If no rams could be reached from there(most of his hunters couldnt do the cross valley hunts hence my comment on new client base) then they were moved.
Thats the type of hunting I wouldnt go for. And is what I ment when I said it wasnt the type of hunting I would go for.
SG
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Just to set the record straight, no one said Lancasters werent good outfitters.
That is correct, you didn't say that, but if you go back and re-read what you said in post #16, you said, or certainly implied, something that you probably wouldn't want to say to their face.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
I can see the hunt now...

We flew in on the helicopter and got dropped on a mountain and while setting up we looked down the ridge some rams just happend to be laying down the ridge 800yrds. After we waited the time period after flying we walked down and shot the ram. They said they never saw this group of rams before.
Every Dall hunt on their videos runs pretty much that exact scenario.
Just a matter of what type of hunt a guy wants.
SG
What wouldnt I say Dave? That this is how I perceive the hunts ive seen and that I have been told about from clients that arent on their videos? Its my opinion of how many of the hunts go. And yes I would tell them that to their face!
SG
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned

Default The Hunt

"I can see the hunt now" My guide Darcy and I had set up camp in the beautiful mountain valley. We waited the required time after dismounting from our horses, and low and behold there not 400 yards from camp were a group of 6 rams. let's go I said!! My guide said NO!! You will first have to climb the mountain behind camp. If there are no sheep on that mountain then we willl try two or three more....THEN and only then will I allow you to shoot a sheep close to camp. I want you to enjoy your hunt.

Just having some fun

Last edited by ILUVTRAPPING; 01-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I can see the hunt now...

We flew in on the helicopter and got dropped on a mountain and while setting up we looked down the ridge some rams just happend to be laying down the ridge 800yrds. After we waited the time period after flying we walked down and shot the ram. They said they never saw this group of rams before.Every Dall hunt on their videos runs pretty much that exact scenario.
Just a matter of what type of hunt a guy wants.
SG
Oh I don't know Darcy, maybe this sentence here. Next time you're talking to Jim or Clay, try calling one of them a liar and then come back and let us know how that worked out for you LMAO
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
What would you guys be willing to pay for a Dall sheep and who would you go with?
Boy did this thread go AWOL. I think Steve asked about price and who you go with, and not about who's style of hunt is better!!!! Thanks SG
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTRAPPING View Post
"I can see the hunt now" My guide Darcy and I had set up camp in the beautiful mountain valley. We waited the required time after dismounting from our horses, and low and behold there not 400 yards from camp were a group of 6 rams. let's go I said!! My guide said NO!! You will first have to climb the mountain behind camp. If there are no sheep on that mountain then we willl try two or three more....THEN and only then will I allow you to shoot a sheep on the first day close to camp. I want you to enjoy your hunt.

Just having some fun
Yep easy sheep do happen thats for sure. But not every hunt. Again it was just a statment of me not wanting that style of a hunt. Nothing saying all you guys dont like it but myself and others do not. So when you book your hunts pick the type you like and ill do the same.

LOL And if you were hunting with me in the last 3 outfits I worked for you would be riding or hiking about 3hrs from camp before even having a chance at the easy sheep or to start to climb.
SG
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

Default On track

Ram Crazy is right this did get more than slightly off track...Steve probably doesn't want to go dall hunting anywhere now!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTRAPPING View Post
Ram Crazy is right this did get more than slightly off track...Steve probably doesn't want to go dall hunting anywhere now!!!
Lol seems that there are some strong opinions eh? Its an interesting debate about hunting styles, personalities, etc. In the end, I think that a guy should get on the blower and contact each outfitter on his potential list and go with the guy that he thinks sounds the best for his needs, physical ability, pocket book, etc. No one is going to come on here and throw out the be all, end all arguement for one or the other. I really doubt if you can go wrong, as if someone is sub par, people get the word out, especially in the world of internet and instant communication.

I have to admit, I can relate with SG's idea of a sheep hunt...I think i'm old school, walk in, climb, walk out.....and at 26 years old and 6'3 225 i don't have too much trouble packing things out... Don't get me wrong, it still hurts, but its not a limiting factor. I guess its because i'm not shelling out 15-25 g's for a hunt, so I'm in it for the walk and the experience, as my rather unsuccessful sheep hunting record will attest to. I've had bad weather, other hunters, wind changes, bears, personal injuries and just general bad luck ruin my personal hunts, but i still go every year to challenge the mountain.. on another note, i'm not really a fan of the access argos can give people either, locals, First nations, outfitters alike...around here, the moose especially have no where to hide. But thats another story...

Hopefully, Steve can pick some info out and make a more "informed" choice here, lol....
Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon300RUM View Post
Lol seems that there are some strong opinions eh? Its an interesting debate about hunting styles, personalities, etc. In the end, I think that a guy should get on the blower and contact each outfitter on his potential list and go with the guy that he thinks sounds the best for his needs, physical ability, pocket book, etc. No one is going to come on here and throw out the be all, end all arguement for one or the other. I really doubt if you can go wrong, as if someone is sub par, people get the word out, especially in the world of internet and instant communication.
x2. You can get 1,000 different opinions from 1,000 people on the same subject. Until you talk to the people directly you don't know where they stand.

Good luck Steve on whoever you choose to hunt with.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Steve I would defiantly check out stan stevens outfit, I know first hand it's a outfit, good food, lodging when in camp, and great guides for sure lol, Stan never charges extra if you need to be moved some. Great sheep, but most of all a great hunt. I believe we charge 22, but don't quote me on that. Plus the nwt record came from this area so you know the gentics are there
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon300RUM View Post

I have to admit, I can relate with SG's idea of a sheep hunt...I think i'm old school, walk in, climb, walk out.....and at 26 years old and 6'3 225 i don't have too much trouble packing things out... Don't get me wrong, it still hurts, but its not a limiting factor. I guess its because i'm not shelling out 15-25 g's for a hunt, so I'm in it for the walk and the experience, as my rather unsuccessful sheep hunting record will attest to. I've had bad weather, other hunters, wind changes, bears, personal injuries and just general bad luck ruin my personal hunts, but i still go every year to challenge the mountain.. on another note, i'm not really a fan of the access argos can give people either, locals, First nations, outfitters alike...around here, the moose especially have no where to hide. But thats another story...

Hopefully, Steve can pick some info out and make a more "informed" choice here, lol....
Good post, and your right and of the outfitters that have been at it a while will produce and give you an excellent chance for a ram(Lancasters included).
Just decide what you personaly want in the hunt and then make a decision.
I dont know if id go to Alaska just because there is a little more run around and id rather keep the money in Canada other than that both NWT and Yukon produce great rams and you wont go wrong with either.
Good luck Steve.
SG
Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Default too easy sheep is actually quite funny

i recall free climbing over some enormous boulders near the top of a razorback in the NWT on one trip and on the other having the guide say "sometimes you have to wonder if the risk is worth it" while hiking along a 6 inch path along a razorback between two peaks looking for sheep. It was snowing hard and visibility was poor and we looked at a 200 yard slide down the skree if we lost our footing to a sheer dropoff.

Landing on the tops of a mountain with a heli doesn't guarantee anything will be easy from that point on. We spotted a band of rams from tent camp once and one was really big so we climbed that mountain 4 times in the next 40 hours just in case they had just slipped over to the other side of the mountain. Finally found them 3-4 miles away 4 days later.
Even spotting things from a heli is not all it is cracked up to be as they are tough to see from above ((unless white on black rock). three hobbled horses wandered away through the night and we could not find them on foot. helicopter with SRD came in to check camp and pilot offered to take us for a tour to look for them while SRD folks checked permits and septic for camp with outfitter. We found them from the air but finding 3 horses in semi tundra with only clumps of small trees was a lot harder than I expected.
An "easy" sheep hunt is likely going to destroy the threads in the uppers of your boots, hurt your feet and back but you willl see the most amazing country, have great company, eat like a king and lose 10-15 pounds in 10 days.
I just love these easy hunts and can't wait to do it again. Just need the lottery since I no longer work full time.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
If you can go with Dan Reynolds, Hes got great rams, especially in the next years to come they say.

Guaranteed a great ram and hunt with top nothc guides and outfit with the bonnet plume.

Jim fink with blackstone has some spots open. Ive never hunted the helicopter areas so cant speak for them, but the yukon these three outfits are really good,that ive hunted with and recommend.

You might as well just have 20000$ ready for the hunt and be ready to add a couple more to it if your going to go, theres always extras. Especially when that 400 inch caribou shows up.lol or that big old 7 foot boar.

Anyways you cant use a helicopter in yukon so if its not up your alley then these three are great outfits.
I know chris is sold out for this year but i just got off the phone with jim and booked my dads dall sheep hunt for the 12-22 with them for this year, i will be killing a mountian caribou also.

If the nwt is where you decide to go you cant beat artic red,, stan stevens, stan simpson, and south nahanni is great too, ive had lots of friends hunt with them, and guide for werner. Hes got a wicked area and great goats too.

Good luck this fall buddy im getting pumped already, i love white sheep hunting.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 AM

A couple links for you....

http://www.yukonoutfitters.net/

http://www.huntnwt.com/index.html
Old 01-22-2011, 07:02 AM

Price wise for a sheep/bou combo Widrig is tough to beat.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Darcy, whats wrong with you? dont you know by now that having your own opinion on a topic is just plain wrong? get in line and agree with everyone else for crap sake.

yes thats sarcsasm. the thing i admire most about you is that you call things the way you see them. at any given time that may differ from someone elses opinion, but it doesnt make it wrong. i can appreciate a guy who can speak his mind and stand by it......even when i may not agree with it. thats how a coversation works.....too bad more people cant grasp that idea and leave the anger aside in a discussion.

oh, and as for outfitters....well i found a way around that. im moving there. white sheep, gray sheep, grizzly, caribou, goat.........oh yeah, thats the way to go for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Darcy, whats wrong with you? dont you know by now that having your own opinion on a topic is just plain wrong? get in line and agree with everyone else for crap sake.

yes thats sarcsasm. the thing i admire most about you is that you call things the way you see them. at any given time that may differ from someone elses opinion, but it doesnt make it wrong. i can appreciate a guy who can speak his mind and stand by it......even when i may not agree with it. thats how a coversation works.....too bad more people cant grasp that idea and leave the anger aside in a discussion.

oh, and as for outfitters....well i found a way around that. im moving there. white sheep, gray sheep, grizzly, caribou, goat.........oh yeah, thats the way to go for me.
No fair! If your moving there can I be your New hunting buddy?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 PM

You'll have to change your handle to IshootEverything or IshootBambiEtc

tm
Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
You'll have to change your handle to IshootEverything or IshootBambiEtc

tm
ishooteverything....that has a nice ring to it. itll be a few years though. my youngest kid is getting close to 15 now. whe shes done schoool, im gone, but i just wouldnt feel right taking the 4 of them away from their lifelong friends at this age. being a teenager is tough enough. for now daddy duties rule my world. i will be checking into the hosting end of it.....the line is forming already. between the wife and i im hoping 2 per year for a couple years.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 AM

We are on the same page Dale.. You will have to come visit me in Atlin in a few years. I own the land already just need a shack.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Banned

youre on. the yukon aint that big right? must be just down the street? im thinking whitehorse just based on the fact ill still need to work. freedom 42 isnt in the works.