Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

Default Draw

That's pretty good odds for the draw!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Oh come on Darcy, is that how it goes every time? That's a pretty broad, sweeping, generalization you're making there. Have you ever been in their camp? Have you ever hunted with them? I have. You of all people should know that 90% of an outfitter's job is to scout his area and figure out where the sheep are. And they generally tend to try and put their hunters where the rams are, not where the rams are not. Pretty sure I don't need to explain that to you either.
To the OP, there's lots of good, reputable outfitters out there, I can't speak about all of them, but I can definately tell you that you won't go away disappointed with the Lancasters. If I was going for a Dall ram, they would be my first choice.
Never said it goes that way every time. I know a few guys that have hunted there and a few that have guided there and have watched every sheep video Bart has put out and yes a large percentage of there hunts are this way.
And as far as the scouting goes ya you need to scout somewhat(Not always though). And guess what, many outfitters do not do much scouting, they may have the guide in a couple days earlier but thats it. Sometimes its the ways these scouting trips are done that doesnt fly with me. How many outfits have you been around or hunted with? Do you think they have guides backbacking in there area weeks before season to know which areas are holding what sheep? Most outfitters know what areas are producers and what arent. Not exactly what sheep are there and which rams they are gunna take out Etc.
Like I said they kill good rams and offer a certain style of hunting. That is not my idea of what id want. Ive seen personaly how many other outfits are ran and would choose others to satisfy my needs for a Dall hunt.
Your opinion of them is one mine is another. No big deal. They run a decent outfit and I wont knock them on that, just not into alot of there hunting styles.
SG
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Default Style

S.G. Describe "your style of a dall sheep hunt". I would like to know what the marked difference would be. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Here you go Yukon...

Year # Resident Applicants Price for auctioned permit ($US)
2006 425 $160,000
2007 315 $170,000
2008 336 $315,000
2009 315 $105,000
2010 409 $ 85,000

Tables never work on here but middle number is number of resident applicants and right hand number is pprice the permit sold for at auction.
Wow, good info, thanks! I never paid much attention to what people were paying, but at least i know my sources were in the ballpark....I also see i've been losing track of time, or my math skills are waning with the arrival of my late 20's....I knew it opened in '06, i guess i just can't count the years between then and now. I know i've applied 3 times as its a 10 minute drive from my parents house to the sanctuary and come up empty...same with my elk draw here, but 2,200 people applied for that one.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTRAPPING View Post
S.G. Describe "your style of a dall sheep hunt". I would like to know what the marked difference would be. Thanks!
Just not big on the whole fly you up and drop you on a ridge etc. And Before your wait period is done your ram is spotted right near camp.

Im into the climbing and hiking. Touring around looking at country. I have been dropped at remote strips with cubs and had to hike up long valleys to certain areas to start hunting. Or had to pack back in with clients on horses to reach our hunting destination or spike camps.
Getting back into an area and traveling through it is to me part of the adventure. And landing on top of the mountain so we can be on top and walk ridges is not how "I" would like to hunt.
Anything else you would like to know ILT?
SG
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I think SG is saying his idea of a sheep hunt is one that involves alot more work (and enjoyment) than getting dropped off real close to pre-scouted sheep and popping one within a few hours of arriving (not saying anyone does that, don't want to ruffle feathers, but..)

Sheep are the holy grail because of the work that should be required to get one. Planning, packing, hiking, glassing, swearing, hiking, glassing, swearing, camping, walking, glassing, swearing...next thing you know you've been out for a week and seen a ton of sheep, but not got close enough for a shot, or not what you were looking for, etc, but your still out grinding it out in the wilderness. It's not meant to be an easy hunt, and I think sometimes people defeat that with their methods...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I just looked at their website. A friend of mine went with the Lancasters and said it was "top drawer" for sure. Ryry4, what kind of helicopter do they use. I see an R44 on their website.
Yeah they use an R44.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Default I see

Thanks Yukon, I understand what you are saying. I think getting dropped off with a fling wing or a fixed wing still allows enjoyment of the hunt. SG seems to protray Lancasters as outfitters that fly you in shoot your sheep and fly you back out the next day. That isn''t what my friend experienced, he did work hard for his sheep and got it as I remember on the second last day of his hunt. And covered alot of ground in the process.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Here you go Yukon...

Year # Resident Applicants Price for auctioned permit ($US)
2006 425 $160,000
2007 315 $170,000
2008 336 $315,000
2009 315 $105,000
2010 409 $ 85,000

Tables never work on here but middle number is number of resident applicants and right hand number is pprice the permit sold for at auction.
From what I heard the guy that bought it for 2010 didn't even show up.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Default Nice Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Yeah they use an R44.

They are a nice kite!! Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks Yukon, I understand what you are saying. I think getting dropped off with a fling wing or a fixed wing still allows enjoyment of the hunt. SG seems to protray Lancasters as outfitters that fly you in shoot your sheep and fly you back out the next day. That isn''t what my friend experienced, he did work hard for his sheep and got it as I remember on the second last day of his hunt. And covered alot of ground in the process.
sounds like a blast. I'm sure their a top notch outfit, and hard work is what makes you appreciate it more.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
From what I heard the guy that bought it for 2010 didn't even show up.
brutal, his loss. There are lots of big sheep there with strong genetics. I know the resident who got the draw, he was my shop teacher in highschool... no luck, but then again, not sure how he went about the hunt.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Never said it goes that way every time. I know a few guys that have hunted there and a few that have guided there and have watched every sheep video Bart has put out and yes a large percentage of there hunts are this way.
And as far as the scouting goes ya you need to scout somewhat(Not always though). And guess what, many outfitters do not do much scouting, they may have the guide in a couple days earlier but thats it. Sometimes its the ways these scouting trips are done that doesnt fly with me. How many outfits have you been around or hunted with? Do you think they have guides backbacking in there area weeks before season to know which areas are holding what sheep? Most outfitters know what areas are producers and what arent. Not exactly what sheep are there and which rams they are gunna take out Etc.
Like I said they kill good rams and offer a certain style of hunting. That is not my idea of what id want. Ive seen personaly how many other outfits are ran and would choose others to satisfy my needs for a Dall hunt.
Your opinion of them is one mine is another. No big deal. They run a decent outfit and I wont knock them on that, just not into alot of there hunting styles.
SG
Not looking for a fight with you here Bro, and FYI, I've been around a few different outfits, as both an employee, and a guest. No, I don't think too many of them send their guides backpacking in weeks ahead of time to scout LOL, most of the dall sheep outfitters up north own an airplane or two, and do a bit of scouting that way, but I'm sure you know that as well. You can think what ever you want about the Lancasters, and their style of hunts. I just don't think slamming some of the most successful and respected outfitters on a public message board is a very classy move, especially when you're in the business yourself.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default Absolutely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon300RUM View Post
sounds like a blast. I'm sure their a top notch outfit, and hard work is what makes you appreciate it more.

That's it in a nutshell!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon300RUM View Post
brutal, his loss. There are lots of big sheep there with strong genetics. I know the resident who got the draw, he was my shop teacher in highschool... no luck, but then again, not sure how he went about the hunt.
Very strong genetics. I've seen a replica of the ram Jim Anthony killed. Wow is all a guy can say about that sheep.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Well at times an outfitter will fly you in, shoot the sheep and fly out the next day. It can be done and I won't say that it is as easy as some might think but with a helecopter the hunt usually can be a ton easier. Helped a client of mine book his hunt for sheep and wanted the easiest route. He paid a few extr bucks and they flew him over to see the sheep. Camped just around the corner kind of thing and went out the next day and shot it. He even paid a few extra bucks to the outfitter to get a big one and he came home with a 41" ram. Money talks!

I understand what SG is saying and I am not interested in a hunt that they can fly around and spot them and then drop you on the ridge to camp on them overnight to go shoot one. Again I don't think it happens a lot , but it does happen. Soem guys are not in it as much for the hunt. They want the biggest trophy around and want to do the least amount of work for it.

Personally I like the best of both worlds. I like a horse to carry my pack and get me into an area and then I will spike camp out from there for a day or 2 if possible and hunt the area hard. That way you can move on to a new area with a horse and experience the hunt a bit. Getting picked up in a helecopter and swept off to a new area wouldn't be my choice.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well at times an outfitter will fly you in, shoot the sheep and fly out the next day. It can be done and I won't say that it is as easy as some might think but with a helecopter the hunt usually can be a ton easier. Helped a client of mine book his hunt for sheep and wanted the easiest route. He paid a few extr bucks and they flew him over to see the sheep. Camped just around the corner kind of thing and went out the next day and shot it. He even paid a few extra bucks to the outfitter to get a big one and he came home with a 41" ram. Money talks!

LOL...I can guess what outfitter that is. None of the quality sheep outfitters would ever engage in the practice of more money for more inches. It's definitely not common practice but there is a sleazy outfitter or two that will do it I guess.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I understand what SG is saying and I am not interested in a hunt that they can fly around and spot them and then drop you on the ridge to camp on them overnight to go shoot one. Again I don't think it happens a lot , but it does happen. Soem guys are not in it as much for the hunt. They want the biggest trophy around and want to do the least amount of work for it.

Personally I like the best of both worlds. I like a horse to carry my pack and get me into an area and then I will spike camp out from there for a day or 2 if possible and hunt the area hard. That way you can move on to a new area with a horse and experience the hunt a bit. Getting picked up in a helecopter and swept off to a new area wouldn't be my choice.
I'm with ya, i've got nothing against horses... and i should say i've been flown into primrose lake up here for a week before so i'm not above using planes (not using them to pre-scout, just get in) I guess it's two different things though, i'm coming from the resident perspective, i've never been with the outfitters and scouting a bit with the plane to make your living and waiting till the appropriate time has elapsed to shoot, its a different world when your making a living from a hunt, not just out bushwhacking for your freezer.....just think that for me, personally, i want to spend the week out there. I'm not about shooting the biggest sheep, or biggest anything really, end of the day, if i see a legal ram this year, its goin down, lol. They're just so damn tasty....
Old 01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Default Suprised

NUBE, I'm suprised you would help your client book with such an outfitter!!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Helped a client of mine book his hunt for sheep and wanted the easiest route. He paid a few extr bucks and they flew him over to see the sheep. Camped just around the corner kind of thing and went out the next day and shot it. He even paid a few extra bucks to the outfitter to get a big one and he came home with a 41" ram. Money talks!
Hope that wasn't up here in the NT Nube....jailing offence up here.

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Hope that wasn't up here in the NT Nube....jailing offence up here.

tm
Considering that's the only place that helicopters are permitted it's a safe bet it was.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 PM

really.....we're the only ones

Nube...you past the edit function?? Mods maybe?

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
He paid a few extr bucks and they flew him over to see the sheep. Camped just around the corner kind of thing and went out the next day and shot it. He even paid a few extra bucks to the outfitter to get a big one and he came home with a 41" ram. Money talks!
Me thinx he may have a little less if this gets investigated.

Paying extra for a bigger sheep....when the other guys in camp are $20K+ into the same hunt......not cool.

Did he put it in "the book"??

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Getting picked up in a helecopter and swept off to a new area wouldn't be my choice.
But there is a 44" sheep there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Not looking for a fight with you here Bro, and FYI, I've been around a few different outfits, as both an employee, and a guest. No, I don't think too many of them send their guides backpacking in weeks ahead of time to scout LOL, most of the dall sheep outfitters up north own an airplane or two, and do a bit of scouting that way, but I'm sure you know that as well. You can think what ever you want about the Lancasters, and their style of hunts. I just don't think slamming some of the most successful and respected outfitters on a public message board is a very classy move, especially when you're in the business yourself.
Not sure how im slamming them. I dont like their style of hunting and would rather hunt with another outfitter! Id tell Jim, Clay, Bart or anyone that to their face. I never said they arent respected or successful. I said my reasons for not liking it and came to my opinion that I have by watching 20 or so of their sheep hunts, talked to guys I guided that hunted with them(4 or 5) and from friends that guided with them over past years. Its just an opinion so maybe just relax.

And as far as being in the buisness, if someone didnt like my hunting style and didnt want me to guide them and have stated the reasons then I have no issues with them being said anywhere.

LOL hope my opinion doesnt hurt their feelings to bad or slow down there booking much

SG
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM

I believe a helicopter can be used in the right way or the wrong. I guide for stan stevens and the first year I was just packer and he didn't have the whirley bird and this season he did. I seen no difference in the way we hunted sheep. We never once landed up on the side of a mountain. Mostly on gravel bars, or river flats. A few times after being dropped off in the helicopter and stan would take off the hunters would ask, "why didn't stan land us way up on the mountain?", I'd just say cuz we do sheep hunts right here. Scouting from the air I believe is the most practical way up there, and I know a sheep can travel a hell of a long way or just disappear in those 12 hours. The main reason why my outfitter bought the helicopter was for 1 getting to hunt new moose country, 2 so his guides didn't have to slay away building air strips any more, 3 the use of it for taking out moose meat. I'm 19 years old 165 pounds and packing out the six heavy heavy trips their is with a moose I'm about dead. I believe lancaster's don't show the six day long hikes, hungry day hunts in their videos is because the scare off some of the wealthy, softer hunters
Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-06rem.model700 View Post
I believe a helicopter can be used in the right way or the wrong. I guide for stan stevens and the first year I was just packer and he didn't have the whirley bird and this season he did. I seen no difference in the way we hunted sheep. We never once landed up on the side of a mountain. Mostly on gravel bars, or river flats. A few times after being dropped off in the helicopter and stan would take off the hunters would ask, "why didn't stan land us way up on the mountain?", I'd just say cuz we do sheep hunts right here. Scouting from the air I believe is the most practical way up there, and I know a sheep can travel a hell of a long way or just disappear in those 12 hours. The main reason why my outfitter bought the helicopter was for 1 getting to hunt new moose country, 2 so his guides didn't have to slay away building air strips any more, 3 the use of it for taking out moose meat. I'm 19 years old 165 pounds and packing out the six heavy heavy trips their is with a moose I'm about dead. I believe lancaster's don't show the six day long hikes, hungry day hunts in their videos is because the scare off some of the wealthy, softer hunters
Your right they can be used right or wrong. Just to me its taking away from the true experience. For both the hunter and guide. I guess im just old school and dont look for everything to be easier.

And yes they may not show that in the vids, but on many(not all) hunts it isnt there to show.
SG
Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-06rem.model700 View Post
I believe a helicopter can be used in the right way or the wrong.
I agree 100% with you except I've got no issues being dropped off on top. As a matter of fact I take extra water from the Wells with me every year for this purpose. We don't go down until we need water. Gives us 4 sides of the mountain to check out and get out legs before really busting hump. On the other hand.....we put a tack in the map at the hangar and that's where they take us. The difference in the hunt described above is the fact "he flew us over to look at the sheep".....totally illegal.

I'm 41 and 175#'s......if I shoot it.....I'll pack it....and yup...it JUST ABOUT kills me. Funny thing... I'll do it again the next year though

tm

lol Sheep Guide...I know where you're coming from......but you ain't packing horses or walking into these areas we're talking about. Minimum it's a plane.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM

To get back to your question Steve I went with Reynolds in the Yukon, and yep I'd go with them again. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts there are a ton of variables, costs, etc associated with a hunt and they vary from outfitter to outfitter - some that will appeal to you some that won't. You'll see what I mean as you get more feedback from the outfitters. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM

Default look at variable carefully

Been up to NWT twice for dall, think I tried to save money on first one so booked 7 day trip and came home disappointed because of time we could hunt due to 5 days of fog and bad weather. 10 day trip was great following year. Looked at 28 good rams and many others before shooting 40+ curl and a quarter. Key to having a chance to shoot a 40 plus is not shooting the first 20 good ones you see.
I like many others here loved the horseback trip from base camp to tent camp, every morning by horse 6-10 miles out of tent camp. Riding up on a grizz, having the caribou come out of the brush along the creek (river) bed and follow the string of horses trying to figure out what we were. Just pristine country and the shot had very little to do with a great trip. I was with Redstone. One on one with Lindsey Eklund who has since left so Dave Dutchik runs it by himself. Last flyer I saw was $14000. with add one $ for moose, caribout etc.