Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Default White Sheep

What would you guys be willing to pay for a Dall sheep and who would you go with?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 AM

I would go with Chris Mckinnon,Bonnet Plume.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 AM

A few things to consider depending on your personal budget limit while you research outfitters in the Yukon & NWT (& perhaps Alaska). Personally I think it would be worth your while to contact all the outfitters for info. There is a wide range of costs between the various outfitters.

- determine all the hunt costs as often times there are extras over and above the hunt cost - ie charter flights, your travel to and from, hotel and meals while travelling, government fees etc.. the quoted hunt cost is just the starting point
- what sort of hunt is important to you? - back pack only, horse back, mobility during the hunt ie helicopter in NWT etc.
- do you want to add on a species
Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 AM
sheephunter

Some really good advice from Duk! Beware that the hunt is only part of the cost too. There will be travel and charters, tips, etc. As for the actual hunt, I think 15k is the low end of the scale and 20k is the high end.

I hunted with Gana River last season and would highly receommend them.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Some really good advice from Duk! Beware that the hunt is only part of the cost too. There will be travel and charters, tips, etc. As for the actual hunt, I think 15k is the low end of the scale and 20k is the high end.

I hunted with Gana River last season and would highly receommend them.
There is one outfitter that I believe is up around the $23K point (don't recall what all the extras are) - so yep there is a very wide range of prices.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Not all areas have the same "kinda sheep" size wise. Might be hard to actually find a 40 inche sheep in some places. Curls may be tighter ... . Depends on what you want for an experience in the end too ...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vslonowski View Post
Might be hard to actually find a 40 inche sheep in some places.
Ya think??????

sorry man

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 AM

ARCTIC RED OUTFITTERS. Tough hunt backpack style mostly I think. I have watched these guys and read reports for years and they average a pretty good horn length with lots 40" or better. They have a new owner so things may be better or worse I don't know but it looks like they are still doing well the last couple years. I can not remember off hand but I think they average over 38" last year and right around that every year.

Chris Mckinnon has some great rams as well but the price is a lot higher I believe but not 100% sure. Worth checking into as well
Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM

I hunted with Nahanni Butte, the hunt cost around $17,000 for the sheep. I drove up and the picked me up on the river so no charter flight in. I had a great time and killed an average ram. I'd hunt with them again in a heart beat.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM

Two words..... The Lancasters!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 AM

If you go into these hunts thinking that you are going to come home with a 40" ram the likelihood of you coming home dissapointed is going to be about 95%. You need a lot of things to come together to get a 40" sheep....and most of them have nothing to do with you or the hunt.

I'm all for positive thinking but I find that with hunting....remaining positive throughout the hunt is way more important. It sounds cliche' but it is about the experience. I've come away from a few hunts where I could have killed "a ram" but have chosen not to....and the one with ColdRedNeck was one of these....and one of my fondest hunting memories.

x2 on the genetics at Arctic Red....don't forget to factor extra flight moves in here...it ain't a cheap one!!!

I can't speak to outfitters in the Yukon or Alaska, but the 7 you'll find in the NT are honest....expensive....but honest lol

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
No kidding. Definitely good people.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
No kidding. Definitely good people.
good people for sure.....but I "prefer" the sheep from further north in the range.

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

Its a tough desicion. Id plan on the $18000 area + extras. But I think with most outfitters being within a couple thousand price isnt the major deciding factor. Ill gladly pay a coupls grand more for a top quality hunt and experienc even if I go home empty handed then pay cheaper money have a crappy experience and kill a ram. But thats just me. Its not all about the taking of an animal.

Personaly my picks would be Tim Mervyn and Chris Widrig. They offer the types of hunts I would want to go on.

You need to look at outfitters that offer what you want. Do you want to back pack from remote airstrips? Do you want to hunt from helicopter drops? Do you want to hunt off horses?
These will narrow your search.

Lots of good reputable Dall outfitters that will give great hunts and averages. Just have to pick one.

SG
Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
good people for sure.....but I "prefer" the sheep from further north in the range.

tm
They don't seem to kill monster rams up there, but the quality of the hunt was excellent.

Do you prefer the sheep farther north because they are typically bigger or is there another reason?

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
I can see the hunt now...

We flew in on the helicopter and got dropped on a mountain and while setting up we looked down the ridge some rams just happend to be laying down the ridge 800yrds. After we waited the time period after flying we walked down and shot the ram. They said they never saw this group of rams before.
Every Dall hunt on their videos runs pretty much that exact scenario.
Just a matter of what type of hunt a guy wants.
SG
Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
They don't seem to kill monster rams up there, but the quality of the hunt was excellent.

Do you prefer the sheep farther north because they are typically bigger or is there another reason?
Ohhh they get some big ones.....40" is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned though...one day!!!

I wouldn't say "bigger".....just cooler looking. Lots of guys like the "loopy" rams....I like em' tighter and then flare. Also, some of the rams "take off" really high on their heads and then come around....these lengths can surprise guys on the sheet for sure. From what I've seen the bigger bases and tighter curls are more prominent as you move further up.....all personal preference though. They are all beautiful.

tm

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM

If you can go with Dan Reynolds, Hes got great rams, especially in the next years to come they say.

Guaranteed a great ram and hunt with top nothc guides and outfit with the bonnet plume.

Jim fink with blackstone has some spots open. Ive never hunted the helicopter areas so cant speak for them, but the yukon these three outfits are really good,that ive hunted with and recommend.

You might as well just have 20000$ ready for the hunt and be ready to add a couple more to it if your going to go, theres always extras. Especially when that 400 inch caribou shows up.lol or that big old 7 foot boar.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post

We flew in on the helicopter and got dropped on a mountain and while setting up we looked down the ridge some rams just happend to be laying down the ridge 800yrds. After we waited the time period after flying we walked down and shot the ram. They said they never saw this group of rams before.
SG
Oh come on Darcy, is that how it goes every time? That's a pretty broad, sweeping, generalization you're making there. Have you ever been in their camp? Have you ever hunted with them? I have. You of all people should know that 90% of an outfitter's job is to scout his area and figure out where the sheep are. And they generally tend to try and put their hunters where the rams are, not where the rams are not. Pretty sure I don't need to explain that to you either.
To the OP, there's lots of good, reputable outfitters out there, I can't speak about all of them, but I can definately tell you that you won't go away disappointed with the Lancasters. If I was going for a Dall ram, they would be my first choice.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post

SG
I remember it well...

Killed a great ram, saw some beautiful country, met some great people, killed a monster moose, and got to ride in a chopper for the first time.

Ahh, the memories.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Ohhh they get some big ones.....40" is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned though...one day!!!

I wouldn't say "bigger".....just cooler looking. Lots of guys like the "loopy" rams....I like em' tighter and then flare. Also, some of the rams "take off" really high on their heads and then come around....these lengths can surprise guys on the sheet for sure. From what I've seen the bigger bases and tighter curls are more prominent as you move further up.....all personal preference though. They are all beautiful.

tm

tm
There were a couple shot over 38" when I was up there. We saw one the day before I could hunt that would have been 40" or better but never saw him again. Your right about the southern rams not flaring much, mind doesn't but he had heavy bases.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

I've made a bunch of calls and sent emails. Thanks for the info so far.

I just guided a client that had nothing but good things to say about Ralph Miller and Deltana outfitters. Their hunts for 2012 are listed at $ 14 700 for 8 days, they killed the biggest ram in Alaska last year. Anyone heard anything about them?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
There were a couple shot over 38" when I was up there. We saw one the day before I could hunt that would have been 40" or better but never saw him again. Your right about the southern rams not flaring much, mind doesn't but he had heavy bases.
They are all beautiful....and 38 is big

Congrats on your ram Ryry4

I spend hours looking at the one in my living room. Wife even made a comment as to "why are you watching Diego"....it was about 10:00 last night.....didn't even know it was on the tv

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I remember it well...

Killed a great ram, saw some beautiful country, met some great people, killed a monster moose, and got to ride in a chopper for the first time.

Ahh, the memories.
Like I said its all what you want in a hunt. They dont offer what I "Personaly" think is a great hunt and the type of adventuer that I would like.
Lots of guys have good hunts there ands kill some great rams, but there idea of a good hunt is alot different than mine.
SG
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Oh come on Darcy, is that how it goes every time? That's a pretty broad, sweeping, generalization you're making there. Have you ever been in their camp? Have you ever hunted with them? I have. You of all people should know that 90% of an outfitter's job is to scout his area and figure out where the sheep are. And they generally tend to try and put their hunters where the rams are, not where the rams are not. Pretty sure I don't need to explain that to you either.
To the OP, there's lots of good, reputable outfitters out there, I can't speak about all of them, but I can definately tell you that you won't go away disappointed with the Lancasters. If I was going for a Dall ram, they would be my first choice.
I think you are absolutely right Dave. No matter where you hunt, they are going to ride you in on horseback, fly you in a small plane or take you in a helicopter to an area they are pretty sure there are rams. It's not like you are going to start walking from camp with the hope of bumping into a ram.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Congrats on your ram Ryry4
tm
Thanks TM, can't wait to do it again.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Default Helicopter

Quote:
Thanks TM, can't wait to do it again.
I just looked at their website. A friend of mine went with the Lancasters and said it was "top drawer" for sure. Ryry4, what kind of helicopter do they use. I see an R44 on their website.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Bonnet Plume Outfitters run a top notch outfit. Awesome numbers of sheep as well as great caribou.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Most of the Yukon Guys are good, and in the price points mentioned from what i know....Mervyn has a good rep up here for sure, and a good area. Of note for the person wanting more, there is the "Kluane Dall Sheep" hunt offered by the Kluane First nation in the game sanctuary outside of Kluane National Park.....because of the exclusive nature of the hunt (one resident draw, one sold by the First nation per year, only for the last few years) and the fact that it's in a wildlife sanctuary and has been for around 60 years, there is good potential for big sheep and zero hunting pressure on that population. Pricey though, i've heard second hand from a friend, from another friend etc you know the drill, who knows the truth- that the First nation has got between $150,000-$300,000 for each of the three years its been open, all to guys from the states..
Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
sheephunter

Here you go Yukon...

Year # Resident Applicants Price for auctioned permit ($US)
2006 425 $160,000
2007 315 $170,000
2008 336 $315,000
2009 315 $105,000
2010 409 $ 85,000

Tables never work on here but middle number is number of resident applicants and right hand number is pprice the permit sold for at auction.