Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 PM

Default Simple DIY jigging tip up.

Here's a really simple and cheap home made jigging tip up I've been using this year with good success, hope somebody else might find the design usefull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsI...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 AM

I like it!

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Me To, Nice job
Old 03-14-2018, 01:48 PM

I’ve made some very similar to that and been using the last three years they out fish any of my other tip ups for the most part. Was out on the weekend with a group of friends had 6 tip ups similar to that and two jaw jackers. Never had one fish on a jaw jackers but over twenty on the homemade set up. The little movement even a slight wind gives them seems to work very well.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
I’ve made some very similar to that and been using the last three years they out fish any of my other tip ups for the most part. Was out on the weekend with a group of friends had 6 tip ups similar to that and two jaw jackers. Never had one fish on a jaw jackers but over twenty on the homemade set up. The little movement even a slight wind gives them seems to work very well.
That's what I find, though IMO it can vary from lake to lake, and even from day to day. There are some lakes where I do well with a stationary bait, and others where a bait that doesn't move a little barely catches a fish. The other day I was on Utikima and in the morning we had 4 fish on regular tipups and no fish on jigging tip-ups, which is highly abnormal for that lake in my experience. By afternoon it was back to normal, the fish only hitting a bait that moved.

Today I was out on Slave again in a gale force wind, sitting in the truck and watching the set lines, not a bite on the dead stick but I got a walleye and a couple little pike on my lumber strap rig.

I have some commercial jigging tipups and they work pretty well in shallow water. In deep water using the home made tipups is far more convenient, they don't require me to take my gloves off as much or get my hands wet so they are better on cold days, and I land a higher percentage of fish on the rod than I do pulling them up by hand. If I feel like jigging a line I can just grab a rod and sit on the pail.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-14-2018 at 02:41 PM.