Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Talking First time bow hunting

Hello people. I am going to purchase a bow this year and. I need your help what bow should I buy. My freinds have a bowtech bow and they love it but I also have been told mathews is the best but to much $$$$ I understand you buy a cheap bow you get what you payed for, but this is my first time bow hunting and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on one. I will be using the bow for deer and elk so your advise will be great Thanks again

P.S also need advise on brod heads and arrows
Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 AM
river_runner

whatever you buy dont dryfire your bow .
Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_runner View Post
whatever you buy dont dryfire your bow .
Well, that pretty much answered all his questions.

JP, just about any bow you buy nowadays will easily kill anything we have in Canada......as long as you put the arrow in the right spot.
The trick is stay in your budget, but not go so cheap that you need to upgrade next year.
Bowtech is a top quality bow, and you won't regret getting one. The Bowtech Tomkat comes in a nice affordable package.( includes rest, sights, quiver) Quite a few guys on here shoot one in fact. Thy have a great warranty as well, and it is a bow you will shoot for th next ten years.
As for arrows, I go cheap. Carbon Express, or the like. The 0.001 difference in straightness for the extra money doesn't mean much hunting when my arrow is only going 30 yards.
Broadheads is a real personal choice. Lots of guys like expandables, others prefer cut on impact. I am in the group of the latter. Montec G5 is my choice. They fly straight, hit hard, and cut deep. (From my bow)
Hope his helps.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Everything that Hoochie Papa said. But, before you buy a bow, shoot as many as you possibly can and buy the one that feels the best and you can shoot the best. And preferably get it from a dedicatd archery store so they can help you with learning the proper technique and all that.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info keep it coming
Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Thought about traditional? Like recurve or longbow? Its fun too, you just have to get alot close to the critter .
Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Default I agree with Da Jimmer

However, the learning curve to shoot consistantly and accurately with any degree of proficiency is exponentially longer than the compound bow (okay now that I have used way too many big words in a sentence I'll try english.

What I meant to say is traditional bows are much harder to learn how to shoot. I use both a compound and a long bow and enjoy both tools for hunting for different reasons. If you are planning to hunt this fall I would suggest you focus on compound shooting and reserve the traditional stuff until you have a couple of seasons to practice.

Just my opinion, but I practiced for three years with a compound before setting foot in the woods and I practiced for 7 years with a long bow before setting foot in the woods. I can't accept a failed hunt due to a miss placed shot from my compound or my long bow. I still practice two to three times a week every week of the year. During hunting season this drops to once a week. Generally on Sunday mornings before heading out for the evening hunt since I can hunt on Sundays in WMU 312 as of last fall.

Cheers.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP300WSM View Post
Hello people. I am going to purchase a bow this year and. I need your help what bow should I buy. My freinds have a bowtech bow and they love it but I also have been told mathews is the best but to much $$$$ I understand you buy a cheap bow you get what you payed for, but this is my first time bow hunting and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on one. I will be using the bow for deer and elk so your advise will be great Thanks again

P.S also need advise on brod heads and arrows
black widow.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 PM

Default Jp2

Glad too see you join, next time your in town we will go by a friend of a friend and look at some bowtechs? But you should try a couple other brands and see whats best for you. Talk soon!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 PM

whatever, fits your price range, and feels the best in your hand.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 PM

Not even a contest, comfortable, fast and light. I love the grips on these bows too especially if you have big hands.

rubi
Old 05-19-2009, 12:45 PM

I was looking at the bowtech diamond it was pretty cool it felt nice and was priced well about $600.00 and it came with everything except arrows the only concern I had it has a 65lbs pull I could pull it back no problem but dose it need to be that much???????? What do you guy's think

P.S Utah and stevie y next time I come down we will have to go take a look
Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP300WSM View Post
I was looking at the bowtech diamond it was pretty cool it felt nice and was priced well about $600.00 and it came with everything except arrows the only concern I had it has a 65lbs pull I could pull it back no problem but dose it need to be that much???????? What do you guy's think

P.S Utah and stevie y next time I come down we will have to go take a look
Diamond is a brand made by Bowtech. Thjere are different styles of Diamond bows. They are all superb, and that is a great price for a package. The draw weight can be lowered on it. I'm guessing it is a 60-70lb range. If you are pulling 65 no problem, than 60 would be very comfortable for you. The shop can turn it down for you when you buy it.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:39 PM

Default What is required to go bow hunting in alberta

Hi, new to the room, just got a few questions if some-one can please answer, them I would appreciate it!

Do you I need a hunting license or a bow hunting license?
Does my bow have to be registered?
Where do I get information?
Do I need a tag for certain wild game or small game?

I do have a WIN Card

Thanks to all!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel-man View Post
Hi, new to the room, just got a few questions if some-one can please answer, them I would appreciate it!

Do you I need a hunting license or a bow hunting license?
Does my bow have to be registered?
Where do I get information?
Do I need a tag for certain wild game or small game?

I do have a WIN Card

Thanks to all!
You need to purchase, your Wildlife certificate, your Bowhunting Permit

your bow doesn't need to be registered

Hunting regs online will cover everything you need

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

And you need a tag for most things to shoot in Alberta, check the regs.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM

I too am new to bow hunting and bought the BowTech Diamond - It is a great bow so far. Easy, light and versitile I just joined an archery club and although I was practicing shooting at a speed bag, I was surprised by how accurate I could shoot at 40 yards last night at the range. I haven't hunted with it yet but plan to this fall.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 AM

There is a big bow review in a recent issue of Field and Stream or Outdoor Life (can't remember which). measure speed, vibration, noise, other features and they include price so you can get an idea of value.

I've found here that you are simply going to have each poster recommend what they shoot themselves.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM

since this is a 3 + year old thread I hope the OP has found what he was looking for
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
since this is a 3 + year old thread I hope the OP has found what he was looking for
LOL oh boy. didn't notice. I was just following TRG's lead. Blame him! LOL
Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 AM

oops! lol - sorry
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM

haha no biggy been lots of old threads bumped latley
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 AM