Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 PM

Default home archery shop

Hey there guys , I was wondering on who all has there own personal / hobby job bow shops in there house or garage . i was looking into setting up my own shop for personal use or family or freinds , so i was wondering what all you guys have in your shop beside the obvious like a bow press , arrow cutter etc
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM

been doing it for ages. Have a linear press, arrow saw, fletching jigs and a Medicine Stone for static tuning & sight set up.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 PM

String jig and stretchers, serving tools, various types of serving depending on application. press with Draw board built-in, Stand for paper tuning, chrono, bow scale.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Been doing the bow home shop since the 70's...then there was no one anywhere...or very few shops that even had a press...so I strated out with a press, arrow saw, and fletcher...was doing my own and over the years everyone elses...

It got to a point I was up till midnight working on everyones bows...lol
was the reason years ago I decided to open up a shop..

so watch it...lol

Seriously its a good thing to be able to do it yourself...

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 08-02-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytAlpha35 View Post
String jig and stretchers, serving tools, various types of serving depending on application. press with Draw board built-in, Stand for paper tuning, chrono, bow scale.
Oh good lord did I ever forget to mention a few things. A couple of other things that can be handy is a paper tuning stand, made mine from ABS and obviously a small target butt of some sort. A set of vernier calipers are handy too. The Chrono is an invaluable tool for tweaking. Also, I should mention that a visit to a good fastener supplier ahead of time is a life saver. Esp those small sizes. I've bought some stuff from these guys http://www.microfasteners.com/ in the past for my toy airplane stuff. Also, buy QUALITY (sorry I feel that needs to be emphasizied) hex wrenches. The crappy tire / princess auto ones will give you grief in short order. Yeah, they may $5 vs $25 or $30 from Snap-Off but when you're drill out a screw because the wrench wrecked it. The value becomes obvious pretty fast.

I'll shut up now and go back to my little corner LOL
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM

thank's guys lots of ideas i never thought about
Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 PM

what bow press do you guys recommend , I'm thinking about either the ez press bench mount or the bow- time machine witch has a draw bored , but the vertical compression of the BTM has me skeptical.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM

BTM and Last Chance use the same pressing principle with the finger on limb tips. I've used the ez press and don't care for it, but if I had to use that style of press I'd go with the BTM because of the draw board feature which is such an invaluable tool for tuning. I have the Buckeye bow-a-constrictor design wise it is far above the others and you also pay for it. I feel a lot safer and more comfortable that I am not going to damage bows with it.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytAlpha35 View Post
BTM and Last Chance use the same pressing principle with the finger on limb tips. I've used the ez press and don't care for it, but if I had to use that style of press I'd go with the BTM because of the draw board feature which is such an invaluable tool for tuning. I have the Buckeye bow-a-constrictor design wise it is far above the others and you also pay for it. I feel a lot safer and more comfortable that I am not going to damage bows with it.
ill have to check out the bow-a-constrictor thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Default $450 Bow Shop

I found this article someplace, I think it is here. Anyhow, this guy sourced out a bunch of must have tools to make it work for under $500, I've looked at much of it online, and some of it is more expensive than when he started out. None the less it was informative and from what I gather exactly what your looking for as ideas on the "other stuff"

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...9/450-bow-shop
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagab0nd View Post
I found this article someplace, I think it is here. Anyhow, this guy sourced out a bunch of must have tools to make it work for under $500, I've looked at much of it online, and some of it is more expensive than when he started out. None the less it was informative and from what I gather exactly what your looking for as ideas on the "other stuff"

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...9/450-bow-shop
Yea that was exactly what i was looking for thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Your Welcome

No trouble, I was just as excited to find it as I was to share it