Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Banned

Default Fluorcarbon Vs Monfilament

Hey guys

New to the forum and have a question!

Is there a big difference between fluorocarbon leaders and tippet vs monfilament tippet and leaders? (regular material). I hear fluorocarbon sinks faster and is almost invisible. Is it worth the extra price?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 PM

I would have to say it depends on the clarity of the water and if the fish are leader shy/easily spooked. If they are and you're fishing subsurface I would go with Flouro.

If I'm fishing dry flies to spooky fish, a long mono leader (12' at least) in the smallest tippet size (5x or 6x) would be okay. Mono doesn't drag the dry fly under.

That's how I roll, but I'm sure I'll get slayed...
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Tom Rosenbauer with Orvis on one of his podcasts from around last summer mentioned that he uses 6x fluro for dry fly situations (too small a diameter to sink) but has the equivelant tinsle strength of 4x or 5x mono (can't recall)...

But usually fluro for sinking applications, mono for floating (as a general rule).. Though in most situations I use mono b/c it's WAYYYY less espensive!! For all of nymphing and streamer fishing I use maxima anywhere from 4 lb/6 lb/8lb/10 lb and have never had and issue (great excuse to use my CT $ LoL) No need to taper when turnover is a not necessary - just straight mono with perfection loop on one end and small swivel on the other to attach another 12' - 24' of tippet! 9' for nymphing and depending on if I'm using a sink tip or not anywhere from 4' to 9' for streamers!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 05-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.