Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Brookie Bonkin'

I know it's a controversial topic among some anglers...

BUT A NEW YEAR OF BROOKIE BONKING IS AROUND THE CORNER!

new creeks this year, some are open to rainbows as well.

For those of you who don't know, it's a trout unlimited canada project to eradicate brookies (non-native) in some streams, in order to let the native cutthroats return to their old habitat.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Where do you find what streams they are trying to do this?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM

I'm pretty excited to fish Willow Creek again this year! Interesting they have opened it for rainbows at some creeks. I hope the ID test doesn't have rainbow cutt hybrids lol.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
I hope the ID test doesn't have rainbow cutt hybrids lol.
yeaaaaaaah that could easily become a problem

Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Everyone MUST pass the ID test each year so for those of you who have not taken the test yet in 2013 there will be a few options to get this done over the coming weeks.
A. We are hosting a pair of drop in testing evenings here at the TUC office (Suite 160 – 6712 Fisher ST SE – TUC is located behind the Spence Diamond Building at the corner of Glenmore and Macleod Trail)
a. First date: Thursday May 9, @ 4:00 – 7:00pm TUC office – Please RSVP!
b. Second date: Monday, May 13, @ 4:15 -7:00pm TUC office – Please RSVP!
B. We will be available at the same address during regular office hours (8:30 – 4:30) for testing volunteers- with the caveat that you pre-call and arrange a time to ensure either Lesley or I am around to administer the test. (contact Brian at 403-209-5185 or Lesley at 403-209-5184)
C. For TUC Chapters we can arrange to come to your TUC chapter meeting and administer the test to all members easily with some advanced pre-planning.
D. A volunteer may be able to provide additional testing in the downtown Calgary core during lunch hours out of the Devon Building if this is prearranged. (Details to follow)

NOTE: There will NOT be an on-line testing option in 2013 as it was apparent that this was taken advantage of. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Important information:

Ø Once testing is completed those individuals who HAVE NEVER received an unsupervised license will have to participate on a supervised outing.
Ø A email with dates and meeting times will be sent to ALL participants roughly 3-4 days prior the event. We plan to make multiple event announcements at the same time to allow for more options for anglers.
Ø Supervised outings will be filled on a first come first serve basis so please ensure we have a good email address to reach you during the day as these spots tend to fill quickly.
Ø Supervised outing events are focused to qualify anglers for their unsupervised license, therefore we will only take new anglers on a supervised event.
Ø Supervised outings will start towards the end of June.
Ø We will be sending out notices of all supervised outings and locations to all participants to avoid surprising volunteers on unsupervised adventures.
Ø For those who HAVE received licenses for unsupervised outings in previous years (we have a list), once you pass the 2013 test you will be issued your unsupervised license. We will be handing out unsupervised licenses at these testing events above. So if you have passed the test in 2013 but were not able to pick up your license, we can provide that for you at that time!
Ø For all those who take part in this project it is imperative that we receive all your creel cards at the end of the year to ensure we include all the information for your effort – we want to know if you were skunked so that we understand these systems better.
Ø Also note that if you have a “friend” or “child” who may go fishing with you for even an afternoon and you want them to participate in the project, they MUST also take the testing - DO NOT just add their numbers to your creel card. We have many youth pass the test. It is a great way to get a child or new angler into fishing!
Ø We will also be asking people if they are ok with sharing their email information to help create a ride share or fishing buddy program for volunteers wanting to save costs or make new friends.

TUC / AESRD Stewardship Licence Pilot Project 2013 includes the following Creeks:
an unlimited number of brook trout only from
Ø Waiparous Creek,

Ø Johnson Creek, a tributary to Waiparous Creek,

Ø Meadow Creek, a tributary to Waiparous Creek,

Ø Margaret Creek (SW 21-28-8 W5), an unnamed tributary to Waiparous Creek,

Ø Quirk Creek (lower reach only) downstream of the bridge near Mac Creek,

Ø Elbow River (river only) upstream of Elbow Falls, and

an unlimited number of brook trout and rainbow trout only from
Ø Jumpingpound Creek upstream of the Kananaskis Country boundary,

Ø Sibbald Creek downstream of Powderface Trail,

Ø Willow Creek and its tributaries upstream of Timber Creek,

Ø Drywood Creek and its tributaries,

Ø Yarrow Creek and its tributaries, and

an unlimited number of rainbow trout only from
Ø Carbondale River (river only),

Ø Oldman River (river only) upstream from Gap Falls, which are located within the Bob Creek Wildland Area,

Ø Racehorse Creek downstream of Vicary Creek, and

Ø Gold Creek upstream of the old water supply dam (see map).

Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM

sorry I couldn't find it online.... I just posted part of the email that I got

Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Here ya go! right under my nose...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=176439

Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM

Any way to take the test in Edm?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM

the streams kinda centre around Calgary, so I doubt the program really exists in Edmonton. However, if you email either Brian Meagher or Jim Stelfox (click the link) you might be able to somehow...

Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Point being is a lot of guys from here travel there multiple times a season. I'll send an email.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM

What's the test and what's it for?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddafoe View Post
It's a trout ID test.If I'm not mistaken it's 20 trout pics that you must correctly ID species.Following that,you schedule a supervised outing to further insure that you know your trout....only after then do you become a government certified brookie bonker.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddafoe View Post
To prevent someone from harvesting a Bull or Cutt accidently.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 AM

Hey I received the email as well do we just email Brian when we want to schedule or test on the drop in day in may or do we just show up. it says to RSVP for those days
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Hey I received the email as well do we just email Brian when we want to schedule or test on the drop in day in may or do we just show up. it says to RSVP for those days
On the special days you need to RSVP, normal business days you need to contact Brian to make sure it's a good time to take it.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Hey flieguy do you think any of these creeks would be fishable on or near opening day (June 16)? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Hard to say... I'm not familiar with most of them in early spring but I'm going to try to hit one after work on opening day. Likely they will be fine higher up, especially upper willow

Old 05-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the info!!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM

So what's the daily kill limit set at for these brook trout eradication waters. Is the limit set at such a level that there will actually be an impact, or is it such a low limit with such little added participation that it is just there for looks?

Unlimited brook trout take sounds sensible in these waters. If not, then 20 per day wouldn't even be enough. Montana has a sustainable brook trout population and their brook trout limit is 20 per day, except in special places, and 40 in possession.

Is it a real cull, or just a pretend one?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM

You keep everyone you catch, no limit
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
So what's the daily kill limit set at for these brook trout eradication waters. Is the limit set at such a level that there will actually be an impact, or is it such a low limit with such little added participation that it is just there for looks?

Unlimited brook trout take sounds sensible in these waters. If not, then 20 per day wouldn't even be enough. Montana has a sustainable brook trout population and their brook trout limit is 20 per day, except in special places, and 40 in possession.

Is it a real cull, or just a pretend one?
Look at my siggy, thats for about 16-17 trips on one creek over a fishing season and a half
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 AM

Taco is the king of the brookie bonkers fyi

My hero