Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM

Default **Red Deer River question**

I work in calgary but most of my friends work on the pipeline out around the small towns of northern alberta and i went and picked a buddy up yesterday from content bridge campground about 30 km past dulburne i think its called, almost to alix alberta. anyway its right on the red deer river and i am bringing him back there in a week or so but this time i was thinking of staying a night or 2 to make the trip worth while and fish while they are at work. I have never fished the red deer river but hear good things, but i am not sure if its only certain parts of the river that are good and what not. Anyone heard of that campground and anyword on the fishing along there?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
TundraBuck

No matter where you go on the Red Deer you will find goldeye. They are fun. I have heard that confederation bridge can be decent pike fishing.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
No matter where you go on the Red Deer you will find goldeye. They are fun. I have heard that confederation bridge can be decent pike fishing.
Which bridge is that Tundra? Is it right in Red Deer?

As far as content goes the fishing seems slow by the bridge and campground. I have caught a few pike and goldeye there but not in the numbers I have at Mackenzie (big valley) or tolman (rumsey). South of tolmen bridge is nice cause you can use bait.

"from the Tolman Bridge (Sec. Rd. 585) downstream to the Alberta/Saskatchewan border
May 16 to Mar. 31 – Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Bait allowed."

I have pulled fair sized walleyes out of there on more than one occasion also the odd burbot.

I have heard, never tried myself, that if you head downstream from content a ways there is better fishing..1/2 mile or so.

I found that the yellow and red 5 of diamonds and bright orange/yellow jig bodies worked well for most everything. I just cast the jig and slowly reel it in. Seems to work well. Also if it's a nice day and you can wade out you..I guess I have had better luck. Fly fishermen do VERY well at the river though.

Last edited by 2430M; 07-10-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM

I am paddling down the river, from McKenzie Trails in Red Deer, past joffre bridge, past content bridge, past another few bridges down to Dry Island buffalo jump.

We leave on Monday. Will let you know how it goes. I'm hoping to catch my dinner. Regs state it will end up being either whitefish or a slew shark. (Pike)

Was just down at the river three hours ago, it's cleaning up nicely.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:00 PM

I fish the river about 3 nights a week. we fish south of mackenzie about 7kms and have got every thing but a sturgon out of there.If you go north of the plant there is some good fishing and also south around the corner
Old 07-10-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Goldeye

Any tips on frying up Goldeye? We'll be taking some lemons, butter, spices, onions, potatoes, and a few other odds and ends. I heard smoking works well. Of course, I'll just try regular old frying...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
TundraBuck

Smoking is the only way to cook the goldeye. The meat is mushy and brown, definitely not something you will want to eat while camping. You're much better off eating whites, pike, or better yet, if you catch one, SAUGER. Pretty much a walleye; but you can kill them. Make sure you know how to tell them apart from a walleye though.