75% S-C 25% B-C 3 4.92%
50/50 15 24.59%
25% S-C 75% B-C 2 3.28%
10% S-C 90% B-C 2 3.28%
Dont own or need a B-C 13 21.31%
Dont own a B-C, but want one 13 21.31%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Question Spin-cast, or Bait-cast. Which are you?

I know most serious anglers will have both, and most people are probably like me, who own a number of spin reels, but plan on buying a nice Bait-cast reel soon.

I usually fish for Walleye, and I'm on the trend of using lighter gear. I'm sure I wouldn't use a Bait-cast all the time, just because of the size and weight. Plus there no need for the bait-cast features, IMO. I know other people who completely disagree, and use a bait-cast most if not all the time.

I seen a nice Abu Garcia Rod & Reel combo at Russell Sports, last time I was in there for around $60-$80. It looked like it was worth triple that, yet thanks to China all reels do now. I remember paying $150 for a basic reel, same ones for $40 at Crappy tire.

I hope I get all the poll details right, and thanks for voting to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 PM

For anything smaller than a walleye, I use spinning or fly gear. For pike and bigger, I use a baitcasting outfit with braided line. I really like the precision casting ability and the superior drag of the baitcaster, and how well it handles braided line - when fishing for pike (or largemouth bass in thick weed cover and stump fields), baitcasting vs. spinning gear really is like night and day.

However, I've never used a baitcasting outfit with lighter line or for smaller fish. I somehow imagine it wouldn't lend itself well to light line and smaller fish, but I could be completely off on that.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM

Once you learn to cast a bait-caster you won't go back to spinning gear.
That's for medium weight and up.
What I really like about bait casting rigs is their great for trolling and jigging.
You don't get the line balling snafu's like you get on a spinning rig after line memory kicks in.
Having said that , having a bait caster spool free wheel after a mis -cast could knock an hour off your fishing time....
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 PM

I guess 'Bait-cast' reels are technicaly the enclosed spool spinning reels. I thought 'Spining reels' and 'spin-cast' reels were in the same catagory. For this poll, you can assume they do, since I use spinning reel on stillwater.

I want a B-C rod & reel for Monster pike and if I ever get out east for some Musky.

I see small bait-cast setups on TV all the time, by guys who fish bass down south, near fallen trees and other structure that requires some underhand casting. Yet I cant see myself ever needing to do that.

I can see trolling being a place where a B-C could make things easier, but I'm not sure about Jigging. I've never used a B-C for more then a few mins, yet it was heavy tackle. I suppose if your jigging for Lake Trout or something giant, just never seen it b4.

I thought the only real benefit of a B-C was for underhand casts, other then casting preference? I have a Quantum Spinning reel that reverses in position to cast, and has a index finger lever so you can cast with one hand. I'm not sure why that seems to be a rare feature as of late.

How long of rods do you use with your B-C reels?

Any recommendations on models?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 AM

This is an awesome thrend , I thought about doing one to . Anyway I own several rods of both , depends on the application , I love the cast of a spin cast reel , but I like the duribility and strenth of a bait caster . I really like to use a bait caster , for both casting and trolling much better in my opinion for a trolling reel . I guess it all depends on how much you wanna spend I have a reel thats worth about 200 bucks I have reels that were 60 bucks . But it tottaly depends on the situation , and conditions. But I say im 50-50 I use both alot . Just depends what im going to be doing and what im fishing for . And I always use braided line on my bait casters , even though I do have 1 spin cast that does have braided but thats matched up with my rino , which is much like the ugly stick but more flexability .I dont know I guess It depends how much your into the sport , myself I fish about 240 to 260 days a year maybe more , Im out at least 3 or 4 times a week, I go on all sorts of fishing trips and so on .So for myself I see fishing like a crack addition , its an addiction I love it ,and im great at it , always willing to learn and teach and have a great time , who cares who catches the most or biggest fish its just about being out with your friends , family and who ever else may tag along . So get out and go wet a line . Tight lines YALL

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 07-08-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM

Depends what I am fishing for, and what lure I am using. Prefer BC for pike with spoons and trolling with cranks.
Cranks casting + SC
jigging =SC
Bottom bouncing = Bc
Trolling= Bc
Really windy? Sc
Then there 's Flyfishing!
7 weight with a heavy sinking line
5 -6 weight anything else on a lake
5 weight small rivers and stream, heavier if the wind is really up.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Clarification on reel types

Spin-cast is a closed face reel that sits on top of a bait casting

rod .Crank is usually on the right side , has a push button at rear

to release line .. Zebco 202,404,600, 808, 800, are some of the most

famous spin-casts . Currently I see rhinos for sale . Good reel if your

not planning on actually catching any fish .

Bait - casting as has been stated also known in the USA as a bass-casting reel ... It is a modification of the old Shakespeare wonder Reel used mostly in this country for throwing heavy hardware or trolling .. When mono line replaced nylon as the line of choice in bait casting the manufacturers
incorporated the free spooling feature and you have the reels of today .
It is the strongest reel , in bass fishing you horse those hawgs out of the pads with 20lb plus line on , if you used a spinning reel you would eventually
bend the center spline ..

Spinning reels have an open spool , hang down below a spinning rod
have a bail that opens and closes to pick up the line .Bad part of spinning reels , line twist when you are using the drag to fight big fish .

I find when you are catching fish and someone comes over to see what you are doing with an idea you have the spot . Turn your spinning reel so that it is on top of the rod
and start screaming " My worm is drowning " They usually motor right by ...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Last edited by PlayDoh; 07-08-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Spinning reels have an open spool, hang down below a spinning rod, and have a bail that opens and closes to pick up the line. Bad part of spinning reels, line twist when you are using the drag to fight big fish.
This is a real pet peeve of mine. To me it's just as blatant a sign as holding the spinning reel upside down.

There's a simple cure to this cause of line twist - DO NOT REEL IN WHILE YOUR DRAG IS GOING OUT.

It amazes me how many people I see doing this. It's the fastest and most effective way of twisting the heck out of your line.

If the fish is taking drag, stop reeling and let it run.

Today's spinning reels are pretty damn good, and as long as people don't make this crucial mistake and use swivels when they should, there should be very few problems with line twist.

Waxy
Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
So for myself I see fishing like a crack addition
Pssst BBJ, hook me up brotha. lol

I'm SO jealous that you fish 240-260 days a year, or more. I'd have to win the lotto to fish that much at $1.33/L of gas. Or just move closer to a lake, lol.

Speaking of fly fishing, I could have a couple B-C rigs, for the cost of my first fly rod & reel. Not to mention the $1k I have in fly gear already, and I still suck. lol

I think I might start with a lighter B-C reel, on just a 7'-8' med rod. Something thats not overkill for the lakes I fish regularly. Then if I like it, I'll get a Musky/laker rig.

I've never used braided line before. These southern reservoirs and lakes don't have much to snag on, so you can get away with light line. Considering the fish are too hot to fight tooth & nail, light gear is the only way to make it a challenge.

Thanks for the tips guys. Great info Winch
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Default thanks for the info

thanks for the info

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 AM

I have a collection of about 30 bait casters, mostly Pfluegers, but some Canadian maoels as well.
My main baitcasters are a 1954 Pflueger Summit and an Abu Garcia 4000, both were owned by my father.
The Summit is a "knuckle duster" direct drive, and a fantastic caster for anything from 1/4oz spoons up, as long as it is tuned right and on the proper rod.

I use some spinning gear as well, but when it comes to gear, I prefer baitcasters.
Most of the time I'm fly fishing however....
Cat
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Great definitions Winch!!! Bang on IMO...

Waxy, you hit the nail on the head....Twisted line on a spinning reel is (in regard to drag) from exactly what you say....continuing to wind "in" while the drag is going "out". Your not gaining any line and are simply twisting the line everytime you turn the handle.....

Level winds/bait casters vs spinning rigs have there places. IMO it is not about which one you prefer more, it is about what they are designed to do....not that you can't do more with them than they are designed for....but each isn't the "best" in all situations....

Finesse presentations, light line, light lures, controlled retrieves....you can't do better than a good spinning reel and rod combination. Reels and rods have come a LONG WAY....relatively inexpensive reels have AWESOME drag systems and are super smooth now a days. Combine that with the low price of graphite, and you'll end up with a super sensitive, quick response rig....

For heavy lures, Heavy line, high drag trolling....a bait caster is a definite advantage. They are designed for these exact operations....they are more stout, and offer more line control as heavy line and lures leave the rig....

Anyway, I have both, and for me each have there time and place.

That being said, if your a one rod and reel angler.....a good medium action 6'6" spinning rod and medium sized spinning reel is all you need and the way to go......