Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Saskabush WT Draws

Don't know if this has been posted yet...

Sask WILL be a draw for 2011. Everyone WILL get drawn, but you have to select the area you want to hunt. They are doing this to figure out the number of tags to give out, hunter pressure in areas etc. In 2012 you will need a certain priority to get drawn in some areas.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM

I'm not worried about it.And if I dont get Drawn in 2012 i'm Going to Manitoba
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Steve
Do you know when the draws need to be in by?
thanks
g73
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Steve
Do you know when the draws need to be in by?
thanks
g73
No not sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM

may 1st to may 31st if i remember correctly
Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector10 View Post
may 1st to may 31st if i remember correctly
Thats correct,but the draw for 2012 is held between July1 and july 31st

And incase no one knows,the biggest bucks in saskatchewan are shot around North battleford

zone 23 or something like that!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM

That is good info Steve. I like the way Sask is approaching this. Instead of blindly applying non-res quotas to zones that will be heavily undersubscribed, they are going to get some hard numbers before deciding what areas they need to limit tags on. I suspect the border zones will be the hardest to draw in the future.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 PM

How come one would want to apply to a SK WT draw when there are so many great WT areas in AB? Just for some variety, or what?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpaquette View Post
How come one would want to apply to a SK WT draw when there are so many great WT areas in AB? Just for some variety, or what?
More opportunity, as big or bigger WT's.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
More opportunity, as big or bigger WT's.
more opportunity yes....the size of the bucks is pretty well the same. personally, my bigger bucks and THE biggest have come from alberta.

as for the approach, saskatchewan once again proves that their management of wildlife and hunting opportunity is forward thinking. i wonder if we could hire some of those guys here in alberta? our guys running the show just dont seem to get it.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpaquette View Post
for me I got family with a alot of land that its only me hunting on
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Default sask

What is the Date for the non resident season? Last week of november?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
What is the Date for the non resident season? Last week of november?
I know up here by the meadow lake area its the last 5 days of november. Check out the sask website. www.environment.gov.sk.ca
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Whitetail Junkie -- zone 23 is NOWHERE near North battleford. It is down by Moose Jaw. Serm guy I talked to said that last years dates are " probably " going to be used this year but this will be finalized by april first or so. Not 100% sure they say.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Ive looked all through the regs. Does anyone know if a Non-Resident-Canadian can bait deer in sask.?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Whitetail Junkie -- zone 23 is NOWHERE near North battleford. It is down by Moose Jaw. Serm guy I talked to said that last years dates are " probably " going to be used this year but this will be finalized by april first or so. Not 100% sure they say.
yup your right around moosejaw,my mistake,alot of big one's shot there aswell,check out the latest big buck magazine addition,great buck from moosejaw in it!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
for me I got family with a alot of land that its only me hunting on
However if you are an Alberta resident (live in Provost) you will still have to do the same as all non-res-canadians.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
However if you are an Alberta resident (live in Provost) you will still have to do the same as all non-res-canadians.
And if you are an Aberta resident (Live any where east of the B.C border, and west of the Saskabush border, North of.... you get the picture) you will still have to do the same as all non-res-canadians....

So whats your point Duffy? Just because the poor guy lives in Provost, doesn't mean he cann't read and understand the regs..... Pretty sure from his previous posts that Timba knows what the regs are, and he goes there because he has some pretty tied up areas to hunt.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Yes 7MM baiting is legal here for anyone with a legal tag providing you go by the regs as far as where, when and signs etc. You must clean up the bait site imediatly after the season and can't bait through-out the year.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
And if you are an Aberta resident (Live any where east of the B.C border, and west of the Saskabush border, North of.... you get the picture) you will still have to do the same as all non-res-canadians....

So whats your point Duffy? Just because the poor guy lives in Provost, doesn't mean he cann't read and understand the regs..... Pretty sure from his previous posts that Timba knows what the regs are, and he goes there because he has some pretty tied up areas to hunt.
LOL you hit the nail on the head,I laughed when I saw (provost)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Def...c-803d7ba7d3c8
Old 02-23-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
LOL you hit the nail on the head,I laughed when I saw (provost)
Sorry buddy, just had to poke a little fun!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
as for the approach, saskatchewan once again proves that their management of wildlife and hunting opportunity is forward thinking. i wonder if we could hire some of those guys here in alberta? our guys running the show just dont seem to get it.
Can't argue with this. Although I've never ventured into Sask. to hunt, I truly envy the quality of deer those guys get to hunt. I have 2 good friends that live in southern Sask and in the last 7 years they have 12 180+ mulies between them, 8 of which are 200"+, most taken with archery gear, along with several nice whitetails.

I realize that there is a huge difference in hunting pressure between the 2 provinces, but they are certainly doing a lot of things right in regards to their deer herds regardless.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post

Just pointing out that if in the future he does not draw a permit in his favourite area he can not hunt there, no matter that he has family with land there.

I don't know him or how law abiding he is but often on the forum people don't fully understand the regulations and need a gentle reminder. (as opposed to a genital reminder)

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Alberta should take the same steps and put non-residents on draws and cut them off of animals we have to draw for...provide a few more opportunities for the residents of this province.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM

Canadian Resident White-tailed Deer Draw 2011
Canadian Resident White-tailed Deer Draw 2011
All Canadian resident hunters interested in pursuing white-tailed deer in Saskatchewan in 2011 will be required to submit an on-line application for a licence. Interested hunters will be able to select one wildlife management zone of their choice and then will be required to restrict their hunting activities to that zone.

This draw will be similar to the Saskatchewan Big Game Draw in that up to four hunters can apply on one application and an individual hunter can only apply once. The hunter or hunters will select one wildlife management zone in which to hunt. There will be no priority system or maximum quotas for this year. Therefore, in 2011 all hunters will be drawn. However, in future years, the draw may move to a priority pool system with a limited number of licences awarded per zone.

The draw will be by on-line application only, with no paper applications or phone applications accepted. The website for the draw will open on May 1 and close on May 31, 2011. Licences will be mailed prior to August 1, 2011.

Further details will be available in April. If you have any questions please call 798-4000 for further information.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Def...c-803d7ba7d3c8
Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM

I am not sure there will be any to hunt in a lot of the zones. My buddy has land in the Pipestone Valley. Deer have yarded up big time. He takes up to 6 dead a day out of his stack yard. They have moved into feed yards to late and the deep snow is taking a heavy toll.