Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Exclamation Where can I hunt coyotes?

I just moved to Calgary from Prince Albert Saskatchewan and I hunted allot in the Provincial forest there but I can't seem to find any Public lands that would be good hunting. Would anyone know of anyone or somewhere I could kill a few coyotes?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

notice how you got 50 views on this post and not many replys and you will get alot more views ,i asked the same question a while ago here , lots of people here are to greedy to tell ya
Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavigne25 View Post
notice how you got 50 views on this post and not many replys and you will get alot more views ,i asked the same question a while ago here , lots of people here are to greedy to tell ya
I for one never answered because Ii live nowhere near Calgary.
I also suspect that many people here hunt private property and will not give out locations because they are not authorized to by the land onwers.
Cat
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I for one never answered because Ii live nowhere near Calgary.
I also suspect that many people here hunt private property and will not give out locations because they are not authorized to by the land onwers.
Cat
x2!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavigne25 View Post
Do you post your favorite elk and deer holes on a public board for the thousands of the site's lurkers to see? Didn't think so.

To the OP, I'm not familiar with the area around Calgary but I would recommend picking up a landowners map and start off by looking for any grazing reserves that may be nearby. Also ask around and try to find out who some of the major cattle ranchers in your area are and ask them if they would mind if you thinned out their dogs a bit. Calving season is quickly approaching and I'm sure there will be landowners who would appreciate a reduction in the local dog population.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

there they are the guilty ones , look how defensif they are lol
Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Default no guilt at all

You just have to get off your assets and go knock on doors the same way we did. There is a a big difference between giving advice and spoon feeding. I have lots of landowners that could use help but they don't know some from a hole in the ground and it takes a rapore knowledge and trust. A couple bad apples ruined it for many years ago so they are reluctant to let new comers on until after they know and trust you. Door knocking works, maybe not the first time but shooting a few gophers for them in summer gets gates opened for predators.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

see thats what i mean it took my 2 cents , for someone to actually start replying
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 PM

id say find a rancher or farm, probly down a gravel road, and ask the land owner for permission to hunt some deer killers.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Default actually trolling

Is what I considered your post lavigne25 for you were trying to provoke a reaction.
There are a lot of us on the forum who actually try to help people with advice, taking people out and even lending them some equipment if need be until they decide they want to do it.
So stating on a public forum that "forum members" are greedy selfish or even protecting their spots is insulting and offensive. Our landowners know and trust us not to leave gates open cut fences shoot at fence posts or equipment in the fields.
If you come hunting with me or I recommend you to a farmer around here any damage done by you is my responsibility in the eyes of my landowners, so I geneally don't do it.
I am protecting my hunting priveleges on private farms and ranches from assetholes who behave in such a manner outlined above to cause numerous areas to be posted. Farmers and ranchers can't tell the good guys from the bad guys when you first show up at the door. It is like a public forum we can only guess your intentions.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Default hunting opportunities and hunting partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerman1995 View Post
I just moved to Calgary from Prince Albert Saskatchewan and I hunted allot in the Provincial forest there but I can't seem to find any Public lands that would be good hunting. Would anyone know of anyone or somewhere I could kill a few coyotes?

Thanks
First off. Welcome to Calgary! I hope you turned the lights out in Saskatchewan on your way out! Just kidding!

I too am a noob to the forum here, but have really found the content and members to be supportive of each other, engaging and insightful.

I've spent most of my 45 years in Calgary, hunted for about 35 of those but spent most of that time hunting out in Central Alberta.

I own a horizontal drilling engineering company in Calgary and have found that those obigations are keeping me close to town and I too have just begun to try and source out some yote hunting around the city.

Most definitely, it's about building relationships and trust just like finding new hunting partners!

I would always welcome the chance to meet fellow hunters over a coffee and see if schedules and hunting expectations align.

There are great opportunities for outdoor pursuits in this province. It just takes a bit of time and a little patience.

Cheers,
FMJ
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM

talk to landowners
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM

I'm not going to knock anybody for protecting their " honey hole " but when some one new comes to your area and just asks questions he shouldn't be stomped on. I've taken lots of people out and taught them how to call ... I tell them in their travels in the fall when they are hunting geese or what ever to stop in and introduce them selves to cattle producers and just ask if they can call yotes. I've said this many times on this forum, they will welcome you with open arms. I quess maybe because Sask. is so big and under populated that you might only run into some one calling once or twice a yr. I've taught 2 guys from the jail where I work how to call yotes, they give me their yotes so they won't waste them ..... that will change drastically after my post today on gen. discussion on the coyote sale on NAFA .... finally they are worth something !!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Default I too hunt the wild dog

Better to sell at nafa or to a buyer?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Better to sell at nafa or to a buyer?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM

good luck huntin, theyre a blast jus ask farmers anywheres an most will let you. best chance is say you will be on foot to hunt then there more apt to talk with you on it. shows little more courtesy for the land sensitive farmers with past experiences an build trust from there. elk point area lotsa yotes everywhere
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the advice. I do not expect people to give me their favorite spots or anything like that but being new to Calgary I would welcome any advice. As a general rule do farmers-landowners seem happy to let you kill a few coyotes?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Welcome

I guess generally speaking farmers and ranchers welcome coyote hunters but it is a good idea to cultivate their trust with gopher shooting or showing up a few times through the year so that trust is established and maintained.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM

there are lots of grazing leases sw of Calgary between millarville and bragg creek area, priddis etc. Also lots around longview. No reason they would keep you off them this time of year. Or try knocking on some doors. Look on the govs website for the contact info and location of grazing leases.