Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM

Default Best waders under $100

I'm on a budget and I need some waders. New or used, I don't care. Any sales on in Calgary? what type do you recommend for this price bracket?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure you can even buy a decent pair of pre-owned waders for that, but the best one are the one's that fit properly!! Someone may pipe up with a used pair. May want to provide some specifics. i.e Inseam, waist measurements and foot size.

If you find some make sure you wear what clothes (layers) you would wear underneath (including socks), and boots and squat down, kneel down, step up, down and all around!! They shouldn't feel restrictive or overly tight anywhere!!
Good luck!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM

check out Canadian tire Bushline Chest Waders
Product #77-1565-8
Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 PM

You did not mention breathable or not. You may be able to find a discounted pair of new neopreme waders for that. They are great early season waders!
When it gets warmer out just wet wade. Most comfortable for me and I have a few sets of waders.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I'm on a budget and I need some waders. New or used, I don't care. Any sales on in Calgary? what type do you recommend for this price bracket?
If you can squeeze another 20 dollars or so the Caddis are not bad for breathable waders. I haven't tried them but 2 people I know have them and say they are OK. My son has the deluxe version with extra protection on the legs and they seem really decent.

The Redington Crosswater waders get some good reviews but again I have not tried them.

The waders at Canadian Tire are junk.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM

hodgeman lake stream or stream light waders used to be great. I had a pair that lasted six years the inseam stitching started leaking threw some aqua seal on them gave them to the wife to use still good. going on 8 years. I think they were around 120 bucks. oh yeah they didn't cook me from the inside out.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

Crocs!!
Seriously though,you can't get decent waders for under $100 bucks,ya just can't.Not chest waders anyway....but,you could get some "decent" hip waders for right around $100.RedHead Bone Dry Hobbs Creek for example @ BPS are right around 100 bucks on sale maybe,$129ish regular??I find I really don't need chest waders for 90% of my fishing on Bow and wear the hips as often as not and wet wade in summer a fair bit.
I'm entering 3rd season with above mentioned Redheads and no complaints/no leaks with over 100 days in them at least?They are rugged brush busters,pretty decent soles,but you might want to add felts or studs?I just dug out my chest waders last cpl trips,I wear the Redhead hips all winter because a)the river is low anyhow
b)they are much thicker and warmer than my lightweight chesties for winter fishn.....longjohns and sportsocks then jeans and wool socks.
And c)they are so fast to pull on and good to go,unlike stocking foot chests that are a big process to gear up and then I end up not wading past my knees 3/4 of the time anyhow.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 AM

I bought these at bass pro for a little over 100. Ive used em for over a full season all over southern and central alberta....rivers brooks creeks and alpine lakes.....you will never get cold!
As you can see you wont need boots either....a great bargin and no complaints here! They're a little ugly but highly functional. If you get them women will want you and fish will fear you! hahahhaha
hip waders are NOT a good value imo.....spend the extra 30 and get chest waders
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Class...duct/10209217/
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 AM

this guy is asking 50 for used ones.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ476489931

or try this

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-chest-wad...earchFormZtrue
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
hip waders are NOT a good value imo.....spend the extra 30 and get chest waders
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Class...duct/10209217/
Not good value??
Hmmm....for 100 bucks,warm,dry,rugged boots that cover 90% of my wading needs and tough enough to last several years vs. cheap POS chest waders at the same price point that wouldn't last me 1/2 a season??And I'm not necessarily referring to the neoprene link you posted,but any <$100 chest waders,Cambodian Tire/Walmart etc are just simply throwaway crap.
Neoprenes are fine for winter fishing and clean gravel riverbanks.If you do any amount of bushwacking,they WILL leak sooner than later from brush,thorns,and sticks poking you,from the knees down especially.They are hot and sticky in summer,might as well wet wade and enjoy as wear neos cuz you'll be soaked in clammy sweat anyhow.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 AM

if your looking for durability at that price I would stick with neoprene... there is some BARE Lightning neoprenes at WSS for 89.99... for breathable waters Redington made there Crosswater waders for around 130$.. they do come with the ankle guards and would probably last you the year if not a few more.. or as long as you let them :P .. or your looking at getting some used which is risky cuz you wont know if they leak until your out on the water or sitting in them in your bathtub :P at least at a store your given a 15-30 day return policy.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 PM

I agree, i bought neoprene waders from there and they are perfect. You can use them for hunting, fishing in the cold, and warm they don't make you sweat t0o bad.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM

"If you do any amount of bushwacking,they WILL leak sooner than later from brush,thorns,and sticks poking you,from the knees down especially."

I'm going to have to absolutely disagree with you, I had a pair of waders that weren't neo's and they got caught on a rock and ripped instantly. Now the Canadian Tire special neo waders i have i slide down rocks, sit on my knees, hell i've even got caught in barbed wire and they still don't have leaks in them. My father, brother, and I have used them for years now with no problems.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM

found some Dan Bailey Barebones on sale for 117. think i'm gonna buy

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Hello guys, dont want to side track the thread but I was deciding between a unisilated and non insulated one. for someone who gonna spend a lot time on the bow and sheep? thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 PM

uninsulated you can always put on more layers under them. Wadders are hot anyway in the summer and with insulation in them you will cook to death
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM

thanks, so you are suggesting a pair lil bigger to accomodate for extra layers in the spring or fall? thanks again
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM

I wear my Simms all year long in the winter I wear a pair of under armor type of long Jon base layer and then a pair of regular long Jon's over top,wool socks and I'm good to go. in the summer just the base layer pants. I bought my waders to fit so not really bigger size small was good as the newer waders fit snug
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 PM

Bought some Frogg Togg Hellbender breathable waders from cabelas online for about 120 haven't had a chance to use them but they had decent reviews for that price range.