Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Default Fishing Oldman Near Lethbridge

Is Lethbridge a good place to fly fish? I know at the reservoir to the Oldman there is only trout, but I'm unaware of what is further down the river. I know there are pike and walleye, but could you go down to Lethbridge High Level and start casting a fly out and hook up to a trout? If you know anything about the species or what fly's they like let me know please! Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM

There may be the occasional Brown near Lethbridge, but farther upstream is better for trout.

In Lethbridge there are pike, walleye, and most interesting for the flyfisher is Goldeye which readily take dry flies and are aerobatic fighters.

If you are going to target Goldeye use light gear (5wt or lighter is best IMO), and handle the fish either VERY gently, or better yet, not at all. Goldeye are very fragile and will usually die if handled or pulled up on the beach.

I just grab the fly and pop it out for the vast majority of fish.

Apparently Goldeye are very nice smoked, but it is not a straightforward process from what I hear. They are not a good fish for eating fresh (fried, baked, etc.).
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 AM

We used to catch goldeye on flies down by the shooting range on the north side.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Banned

Fly fishing for lake white fish in some of the reservoirs can be real fun as well, all you need is a wire worm and an indicator.Like pudel pointer said there is probably the occasional brown, but that's why we fish. I surprised myself a few times over the years, and I could see a brown getting to epic proportions in that stretch of the river due to the fact nobody targets them there, just look at that brown that shattered the aberta record a couple of years back, it came out of the same watershed.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Oh ok, goldeye! my dad has been talking about those things being there. Do they basically go for any dry fly all season?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Lots of dries will work, but "matching the hatch" will always produce better.

I have caught them on stimulators, elk hair caddis, BWOs, hoppers, various emergers, etc. If there are Caddis running around, swinging a little Tom Thumb can work well.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 PM

I had a fellow tie me some crayfish imitations. By far the best fly I've used for goldeye!! Only problem was the claw feathers would get ripped off after a few fish. Applied some good glue and they lasted a little longer.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM

Default Good fly fishin

I used to pack my flyrod and gear and sneak down to the river between classes when I was at the UofL.
Parachute Adams , caddis..
The Goldeye take it readily.

You can catchrockies, pike and walleyes by the weir.

Big pike there some times.

There are lots of crayfish around there now, try and get some.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM

What type of waters am I looking for? fast slow, deep? How to work the fly?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Also if i use a crayfish am i going to get into some trouble of a big pike on light tackle?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM

If your ever down in the river valley on a regular basis then go over the foot bridge and look to see if the goldeye are rising. Its usually not till mid summer but if you are out there on a night during decent hatch, there pretty much everywhere.

There are some pretty good pike and walleye in there, but I wouldn't head down there with the expectation of catching a huge amount of fish. If you have some heavier gear as well then throw some bait out and try for sturgeon. I have seen pics of a few that have come out from right below the weir in the last couple seasons.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 AM

I like to find places where fast water meets slow water/pool. I find they like to hang out right on the line in the backwash where the water is still and the current is moving by. I get my fly in the fast water and when it drifts into the slower part usually get a hit! This works well with wets or drys, but if they are not rising its a good technique for sub surface presentations.

I have managed a few walleye and small pike using the crayfish fly, but I was using a 6wt and easily handled them. There are some lunker pike and walleye in the river, hooking up with one is always possible!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 AM

Hearing that you use a 6wt gives me some confidence. Do you use a special type of leader that the fish can't break with their sharp teeth?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:39 PM

I use a 6 on windy days, my 3wt on calm days. Goldeye on a 3 is a lot of fun! Havnt lost a fly to a goldeye yet, just using floro leader and tippet, the ones I have lost pretty sure they weren't goldeye! Have tried my 8wt pike setup in the river, hooked up a few but have better luck for pike on lakes, sloughs, resovoirs.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Thats great because the last thing I want to do is break my expensive fly rod!

Tags
fly fishing, lethbridge, oldman river