Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Default Pike Fishing Tippit?

I am using some of the 20lbs Rio Wire Tippet for catching pike. What is the leader the you use (just a piece of straight mono), do you match it to the 20lbs or use 8lbs just incase you get snagged up so are able to break it off with out destroying your fly line.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Got this recipe off some musky and pike guys out east

Butt
3ft of 40lb maxima
2ft of 30lb maxima

Put a loop at end of 2ft section and your butt will last you all season

Shock tippet (so you break off here if your fly gets stuck)

8-12 inches of 20 or 30 maxima.

Bite tippet (have yet to have one bite through)

1 foot of 20-30lb seagur fluoro.

I make bunch of pre-made shock and bite tippets already tied together, then you can just attach this section to the loop on your butt section.

Wire would be easier, but the big pike/musky guys swear by this set up.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 PM

To the end of my fly line I nail knot 2 feet of 40lb saltwater mono to a loop and then I tie or loop another 4-6 feet of the same saltwater mono....

LC
Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM

So you still use a 8 foot leader then with the tippet.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM

I just use 60 lb fluorocarbon right from the fly line
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
So you still use a 8 foot leader then with the tippet.
I use a 4' butt section of 20lb maxima and then 1' of Rio wire
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM

dumb question here but im new how do i attach a fly to a rio wire tapered leader its just a straight piece of wire on the end thx for the patience also if i were to use my 5 6 wt whats the biggest fly i could toss please n thx
Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 PM

A 5 or even a 6wt is only good enough for throwing little trout streamers and is really under powered for throwing decent pike flies. If you want to be able to toss pike flies you will want to get a 9 or a 10wt which will help you get your fly out there and it will also help fight a decent pike without exhausting them to death. Don't screw around get the right tool for the job!
Also leader length depends on what type of presentation you are trying to achieve. I recommend using wire as a tippit on your leader, I have tried using heavy flouro in the past and it was useless, unless you like losing trophy fish. Some wire you can use regular knots loop, clinch, whatever. Other wire you have to use a crimp-on which is annoying, unless you attach a heavy clip.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM

As Jayhad mentions, attach a 4' straight piece of 20# mono to the line with a perfection loop (if loop to loop) or with a nail knot if no loop. I then attach a small swivel to the other end of the mono, and then the wire. Technically you can also just attach a 6" - 8" coated wire leader with snap swivel like with spin casting (I've seen people do that , as well with a fly rig).

For "hammer handle" pike a 6 wt is fine and I have cast up to 4" flies with one. Just make sure to adjust your casting stroke... If you are casting a heavily weighted fly and it hits a guide or the rod, it may damage it (I've had this happen before)!

Depending on the depth of water you are fishing, you may want to consider an intermediate sink , sink tip or full sink line, as well.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
dumb question here but im new how do i attach a fly to a rio wire tapered leader its just a straight piece of wire on the end thx for the patience also if i were to use my 5 6 wt whats the biggest fly i could toss please n thx
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM

great advise one more dumb question is an 8 wt rod ok for trout as well like as in small flies like i said ive never done proper fly fishing before i got a 5 6 wt and wanna get an 8 wt on payday but id like my gf to be able to use it for trout thx again god i could ask a million questions lol
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM

For trout it would be overkill IMHO (but could still be used, just too much rod for the average trout)! But why not fish the 5 wt yourself and let her fish the 6 wt! In my opiniion, a 5 wt is a perfect rod for average trout... My go to nymphing rod, and can be used for dry flies and streamers as well (in the summer I usually just bring my 4 wt for dries and my 5 wt for everything else on the Bow!)!

P

P.S. Don't feel bad for asking questions! We have all been there! I would suggest that you use the search function 1st as the question(s) you have may have been asked before!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
great advise one more dumb question is an 8 wt rod ok for trout as well like as in small flies like i said ive never done proper fly fishing before i got a 5 6 wt and wanna get an 8 wt on payday but id like my gf to be able to use it for trout thx again god i could ask a million questions lol
I used my 7wt on the bow for nymphing so no it's not overkill for some trout. I've caught some browns and rainbows that put up a damn hard fight on that 7wt. I wouldn't use it for drys though but heavy nymphing and streamers why not
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM

right on you guys are awesome if i got any more questions ill definately ask thx a ton
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM

'cept we're not talking 7 wt, we're talking 8 wt!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
I used my 7wt on the bow for nymphing so no it's not overkill for some trout. I've caught some browns and rainbows that put up a damn hard fight on that 7wt. I wouldn't use it for drys though but heavy nymphing and streamers why not
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Default We're talking pike...right?

It's a pike....no need for ultra finness..especially if ur throwin' big stuff...on 8wt

Tie on a 3-4 ft length of 20 lb mono , then tie on either ur wire leader OR..what I have used ..a 3-4ft length of 20lb fire line. The fire line is stiff enough to allow turnover...yet is more supple than wire. You can tie direct to the fire line or you can add a small snap. Trust me this will not spook pike....after all guys fish them with 30-40lb wire leaders on conventional tackle. The fire line is tough enough IMO that pike will not bite through.