Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Default Pine Coulee

Anybody ever drug a fly through Pine coulee? I tried from shore last year but i couldn't get far enough off shore what with the hills behind me... roll casting a clouser didnt work to well. I

I was thinking of trolling a streamer, probably start with a yellow and olive clouser, on sinking 6wt south of the dock. I know it still has ice and doesn't open until mid may, but I've always wanted to catch a walleye on the fly

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Banned

You should do ok from shore by the bridge, if you go to sw corner by bridge, try fishing of the rocks, if nothing is biting try the shoreline. Early on you can find em in shallows, later in the year they tend to go into deeper water, from my flyfishing experience at that lake.

Buggers, zonkers and the like will work, no need to tie bigger than 3-4".

Some days you can tie a shoe lace on the hook and do well

If you need a partner and i have time i'll gladly join you.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Anybody ever drug a fly through Pine coulee? I tried from shore last year but i couldn't get far enough off shore what with the hills behind me... roll casting a clouser didnt work to well. I

I was thinking of trolling a streamer, probably start with a yellow and olive clouser, on sinking 6wt south of the dock. I know it still has ice and doesn't open until mid may, but I've always wanted to catch a walleye on the fly
Find a bay with an inlet or a marina and start targeting walleye there. For flies id reccomend leech patterns. Black,Purple,Olive,Brown, and Pink have all worked good for me in Lakes. A floating line with a 9ft leader works best for me being there is lots of snags on the bottom just make sure you count down your fly. The best retreive is a long slow and steady one and youll feel a deadweight when you have a bite. Sink tips would work but iv found no need for them. You can also get them off indicators with a leech and a indicator set a foot off the bottom if you get tired of casting. I wouldnt reccomend clousers because they start to get a pain after awhile of casting and they have a hard time staying off the bottom without a faster retreive.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM

good info guys, thanks.

Still thinking of trolling, but maybe I'll use floating line and go a bit shallower.

Might try the catatonic leech idea too. I'm likely going with 2 other friends so we can try a variety and see what works

Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Banned

Slow retrieve a leech along the bottom and you'll catch the walleye endlessly. Fish off the dock if it's not too busy.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Find a bay with an inlet or a marina and start targeting walleye there. For flies id reccomend leech patterns. Black,Purple,Olive,Brown, and Pink have all worked good for me in Lakes. A floating line with a 9ft leader works best for me being there is lots of snags on the bottom just make sure you count down your fly. The best retreive is a long slow and steady one and youll feel a deadweight when you have a bite. Sink tips would work but iv found no need for them. You can also get them off indicators with a leech and a indicator set a foot off the bottom if you get tired of casting. I wouldnt reccomend clousers because they start to get a pain after awhile of casting and they have a hard time staying off the bottom without a faster retreive.
What he said!

Hang a leech under a bobber! Oops...(indicator)
Slip bobber and leech rig is one of the most productive walleye methods for hardware fishermen...works with fake leeches too!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 PM

I used a Woolley bugger off the docks early before anyone else's showed up and got tons just give it time to sink

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 04-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Thumbs up

When the 'eyes are feeding aggressively, you can get 'em on pretty much any streamer; let it sink, change up your retrieve until you find what they want.

If they aren't in a chasing mood, it's time to change to a float rig. I use a cheap marabou jig; works like a charm, especially if there's a little chop on the water.

These jigs are dirt cheap at Basspro & come in various weights/sizes; Pine Coulee 'eyes love 'em!

Good luck out there!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM

Most definitely, they will bite on almost anything at the start of the year. I usually anchor my pontoon, or my boat just off of a drop off, and jig a clouser just off of the bottom with my 6 weight and pull them in until my arms get sore.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 AM

Right off the dock or under the bridge on the way in from shore works fine for me every time. I regularly outfish the bait fisherman (smelts) using this exact fly.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM

Beauty Calgary!

I tie my clousers with synthetic DNA holofusion, and I've got some in that colour that I will definitely try out when it opens up. do you use floating line?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 AM

Yessir....floating line and put below indicator.....i think anything between 12-34 inches is fine. I prefer the indicator for when it gets windy/choppy.
Here's the evidence....forgot I had a pic of it in action!...this one is from PCR too (sorry its a crappy phone pic)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 AM

I've never caught a walleye on the fly at pine coulee so ill give these suggestions a try! There is decent pike fishing in there too! Just troll with a clouser minnow. calgary guy's fly looks killer for pike too.