Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 09:41 PM

Default My Son's First Trout!

Well, hangover and all, I was on a mission today. My little guy had only ever caught mackeral off of a lobster boat in Nova Scotia (long story that involves a priest and me having to get married again). We have had many 'kid-friendly' trips in the past with no sucess. Sheeze I have the world's worst luck fishing for about 7 straight years now. Grrr.

We went west of Calgary and first hit the headwaters of Jumping Pound Creek below the demonstration forest in Sibbald (near the rifle range). We had some hits and saw a big 24"ish trout 'flash' our lure. After two hours we moved on.

Now, for me, today was the day! We were going to stay out until freakin' midnight if need be. Today we were going to catch a fish if I had to jump in myself!

Anyway, we ran into a great CO who directed us to Sibbald Lake. Man, it was a pretty busy place. We managed to find a spot and within 20 minutes we hooked one! Very cool and exciting moment for sure. After a couple of quick pics, I introduced my son to the world of 'catch and release'. High fives and a big hug were exchanged as the fish darted away. No monster, but definately a fish that we'll never, EVER forget! Enjoy the pics guys!

Tree

Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Right on,good for the little guy and I'm sure poppa was happy too.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO Right on little tree HIGH 5 little man . Good on you guys , Tree when I come down in August you will have to go fishin with me and Sucram , Id be willing to help ya out with your problem. MAn that sounds wrong , None the less great fish and thanks for sharein.

BBJ
Old 07-13-2008, 11:15 PM

That's awsome, looks like your luck has changed for the better. It's nice to see the "little ones" catching fish to. Hey tree, you know that now that he has caught one, he's gonna want to catch them all . I think you got him hooked. Thanks for sharing, congrats and excellent job to the both of you.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:35 PM

That is great Tree, congrats to you both. That is a real dandy.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Id be willing to help ya out with your problem. MAn that sounds wrong BBJ
Problem? Nope! I got problems.........plural! Theoretically, would if one of 'em was a distinct lack of marital 'releations'? Man, that is the foundation of THE WORST THREAD EVER! Ughhhh!

Tree

PS Thanks for the congrats guys. Little man was pretty pumped and conked out about 3 seconds after I put him to bed. Even slept through the most hellacious hail storm I've ever seen!