Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Shore fishing near Hinton

Hi everyone. I will be heading out toward hinton on the August long weekend and I was wondering about some good places to fish in the area. Would need to be shore fishing as I am sans boat for a while. I would really like to try and catch a brown at Obed, but I heard that it's pretty weedy in the shallows. Any lakes or rivers that a person could get to fairly easily? Doesn't matter what type of fish it is, I would go for anything.'

Also does anyone know anything about getting a license for fishing in the National Park? I heard a person needs to get a special permit for that? In that true?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM

millers lake between edson and hinton, or try the athabasco or some tributaries on the trunk road
Old 07-08-2008, 05:35 PM

National Park license is approx. $10 for a day or aprrox $30 for the year. You can purchase them at the park entrance, park info centre, or tackle shops in Jasper. IGA in Hinton may even sell them.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 AM

forget obed from shore not that its weedy because its not that bad. the channel is about 400 yards from shore except in one spot that would be a long wet walk. try a C&R river like the gregg or wildhay espeacilly in the less acessible sections