Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM

Default Underwater camera

Does any one have an underwater camera ? Do they work good? Can you see the fish clearly? What is a good brand? What kind of cost are they? I know lots of questions I am just curious about them, and if they are worth the money.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Currently I have Atlantis, and Aquaview Cameras. However, will be upgrading to a Marcum as soon as they come available. Although on the higher end ranging from $300.00 + they are worth every cent.
You can pick up one called Fish Cam on the Market which runs about $100.00. Reports have been great for some, while others had problems. Every make you can come across problems as I've heard others have had numerous problems with Aquaview and I haven't had any. Last year during the Hardwater we had my Aquaview beside a Marcum during Low Lite conditions. The Marcum was a much clear screen with fish than the Aquaview.....
These Cameras are only effective when water is somewhat clear. Also to where you set your Camera. I usually watch it in a down mode and set it about 3-4 ft off bottom. When there is current, there is a "Fin" accessory which cuts the water to make the Camera more stable. Otherwise best bet would be to attach to a Downrigger for stability. I have seen others with Cameras strapped or taped to an extendable Pole for shallow applications. Marcum has a model with a built in Pan which can do close to 360 degrees.
Pending on your budget, and how much you plan to use it would effect the decision on what you get.
My suggestion is to go to local store and check out what they have. They should have some Demos set up or hook a new up for Demo. These Cams can also be used during the Hardwater season...
Hope this helps
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default Marcum

If you looking for a Marcum camera Terry you better do it quick. Marcum has went under and some of their technology has been purchased by Nature Vision (Aqa-Vu). I believe the only cameras they are keeping in the line up are the VS820,VS825,VS380 and two models of the Mav Camera.There were a few of the VS825 color units available at the end of last year, and with the 8" LCD screen I hear they are very clear. The VS820 is the same in B/W model
The ICAST show is next week so everyone will be displaying their new products for the upcoming year, so we wont be sure until then.
If you are set on a VS560 (pan cam) check with Kelly there might still be some still left in the system, if not the Quad Pod 4X4 might be a good alternative.
Nature Vision is releasing four new cameras, two new models of FISHTV and two new Explorer series cameras. I would consider them basic units compared to the units listed above though, at least to someone with your fishing prowess.
The new Nature Vison cameras are suppose to available about September and the Marcum ones sometime in October.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 PM

Default camera

i bought an aquavu late in the icefishing season which broke down under warranty recently, i must say its awesom to fish with, mine is color but for the most part looks black and white anyways so i wouldnt worry about that, i have a 5" lcd screen, i'd rather have a bigger screen than color, also i found the published battery life is way out to lunch so i just use my boat battery and bought some clips for it the convert to lighter type plug, all in all really fun to use and even on a slow day you have something to do.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
If you looking for a Marcum camera Terry you better do it quick. Marcum has went under and some of their technology has been purchased by Nature Vision (Aqa-Vu). .
Damn! Good thing, I think, that I got a 560 last year. It will be a collectors item now.

Hey! Anyone want a collector Marcum VS560. It comes with 360 degree rotation of the camera and remote. Only $5,000!

Seriously though, that is bad news. They really had an edge on design over the others. I also spoke to one of their "engineers" last year as well as a sales guy. They were all extremely helpful and considerate - above and beyond.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey Snap, you might not be the only one with the 560.....
Although Nature Vision picked them up, they might/still back up Marcum products prior to be bought over. (One can only hope)
I managed to pickup the LX-5 Sonar, a Marcum bag portable bag, and LX-i Hand held Unit.(all collectors items now )
Too bad, as I was looking into the 8" Color LCD Camera unit, but it didn;t come with the Panning feature...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 PM

I've got an aquaview, works great for ice fishing. it has a stabilizer fin for using in the summer but you can't see a thing. it has the 5 inch screen which works well for me. the 7 inch screen is a little nicer to watch, but the battery's don't last as long. Don't waste your money on the hundred dollar camera they don't last, constantly breaking down
Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 PM

We have three aqua vus. Mostly for ice fishing but i am getting a lot of footage this summer because we made a stand. We also have a dvr to record the footage. Have some footage on youtube.They all work great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUd92NlE4G0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRRlP_w4-vE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jltvs4XQmm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e8iIRH0rf4