Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Shrubs

Default I will never by an eagle fishfinder again

I bought an eagle fisheasy 245 summer before last. I used it the first summer 3-4 times and it was great. I mean I really liked it especially for the money. I stored it properly and brought it out for winter and it started acting up and going back to normal and then when summer came it just got worse and I was really stinking busy so the warranty ran out before I did anything about it.

This past winter I decided I would try to get it fixed so I phoned eagle (their wait times are ******ed) and was given a hard reset. Didn't work. Got instructions to send it in with a note and they will have a look at it. Got a call a couple weeks after I sent it in saying that the problem was in the head unit, that they replaced it and they needed some more info for the return address. I asked what the charge was and the guy said nothing.

I was really happy considering I expected I'd have to pay for the repairs. Anyways my finder gets back and I can tell right aways that it's not a new head unit. I figured it must be a working used unit, didn't care as long as it worked. Tested er out on the long weekend and it's worse. Won't take a reading no matter what I do and now it won't shut off unless I pull the power cord. I had also asked them to put a screw in for the battery case and they didn't even bother.

Phoned in today and after waiting for half an hour I'm told that the head unit definatley wasn't replaced but he couldn't tell me who I was dealing with before. Also got informed in a smarta** tone that it's $110 repair.

I said I don't care how much it cost, the bottom line was that I got told it was fixed -free- and it wasn't.

I was told that without knowing who I was dealing with that can't be verified.

Now I'm a liar. I also informed the fruitcake that I would have paid for the repair if I had to, now I won't be buying an eagle/lowrance ever again.

So I'm in the marked for another fishfinder. Humminbird or Garmin? Seems like Humminbird has come a long ways in the last few years.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned

Default Sonar

Johnson Controls (the company that owns minn-kota) bought Hummingbird and Bottomline a few years back. IMO Hummingbird is quickly becoming one of the better (dependable) units on the market and they have excellent customer service (sort of like Lowrance used to be before Navico bought them). Unfortunately your Lowrance/Eagle story is becoming very common, I guess no one stays on top for ever.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Had a Garmin GPS like that a few years ago, same storey. Problem then was the Gulf War when the Americans scrambled all their satellites. Lost everything. After numerous calls and waits was told the same thing, reboot! After 6 tries I rebooted it alright, right into the alley. EVER SINCE I"VE BEEN THE CHAMP. Have a Hummin Bird with no issues so far.
Funny thing was, kids got me another Garmin GPS for fathers day and I love it.