Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
- if I wake up, I refuse to look at the clock
This is an important one for me.

If I get up during the night, I don't turn lights on. I also need the room blacked out. Drives me nuts when the kids are up late and turning lights on/off into the wee hours, though.

Getting to bed early is important. Hydrate well (but not too well, LOL!) so you don't wake up at 0200 with a dry mouth.

I read books before going to bed. It's important to keep away from the devices too.

Even the kinds of shows I watch are affecting me lately. IncrediGirl has been watching "The Crown", so I get a glimpse of it from time to time when I pass through the family room. The other night I spent the entire night assisting the Royal Family with some task and woke up exhausted.

Like many of us here, I am finding that I sleep shorter hours now that I'm getting older.

Getting regular exercise is really important.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
That wont fly if you work for a company with a zero tolerance A&D policy, as well as being on call.

IMO, If you’re supporting a good sleep by taking cannabis and alcohol, you’re into the abyss already as they say.
I'm blissfully retired after years in the trenches. If a couple of cocktails after 4:00 pm constitutes an "abyss" then so be it. One man's bread is another man's poison. Too each their own, as they say.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Exclamation Less stress helps

Many people don't understand the importance of a good nights sleep, until they experience sleep deprivation themselves.
This article in Psychology Today indicates that some forms of insomnia/sleeping disorders can be effectively treated with Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia. (CBT-I)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...mental-illness

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-26-2022, 02:29 PM

This Professor is a very good listen talking about sleep.

The New Science of Sleep and Dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j9xCC_VtQA
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-26-2022, 08:01 PM

I had similar issues, doc sent me to a sleep clinic, long story short, I use a CPAP and sleep like a baby, I even take it with me on vacation, camping etc. Worth a shot.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
As we age, get responsibilities, and experience more and differing situations, as a result our minds get very conflicted, and often our sleep patterns go into a tizzy.

There’s all sorts of things to help with this. Exercise, diet and routine are often the first items everyone brings up. Lay off the caffeine after noon! Don’t be boozing it either.

Second is exposure to electronics (blue light)….. spend the last 30-45 mins before bed time not watching tv or on your phone/tablet, but instead reading a good book, or meditating, or listening to music, or nature sounds, or the sound of B-17 engines.

Try having sleep issues to begin with and having a bladder like a pregnant woman………

It makes you take as much of the above as serious as a guy can.

You gotta take the steps necessary towards getting a good rest.
There is so much that changes as we age. I interact with so many people every day and carry so many issues of others in my brain that it’s quite difficult to calm the mind. Unfortunately or fortunately for me this site has been a way to decompress or relieve some tension. Like screaming at the moon. Lol.

I used to read before bed every night. It was the best thing I ever did. Unfortunately I have gotten away from it and need to remedy that.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:36 AM

Zopiclone and Ecsitalipram
Old 10-28-2022, 01:25 AM

If you wear a smart watch to bed to track your sleep take off and leave it in the bathroom then you are not checking the time each time you wake and you are looking at your sleep score and upset that it is so poor. All these new things that watches monitor can cause paralysis by analysis.
I have found that what wakes you doesn’t necessarily keep you awake.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
Melatonin and a tea called "Sleepytime" I get at Superstore not more than an hour before bed.
I use the Sleepytime tea as well and add to that, some light reading....I try to maintain a consistent routine at bed time.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:21 AM

all my “good advise” for sleeping and a couple nights ago I was lucky if I slept an hour! That makes for a long day.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:46 PM

You could try CBD oil , its non impairing and does help me sleep .