Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Default Old garden tractors. Anyone else addicted to them?

I love old garden tractors
I have had a few garden tractors through the years.
-Jd 316
-Case 222, (loved the tractor but hydraulic drive was a little jumpy, and wife didnt like driving it) I still want a 444 or 446 with rear hydraulics.
-JD 318 with re-powered with a honda 24hp gx670
And I'm picking up a JD 332 16 hp 3-cyl diesel yanmar tomorrow. My first diesel garden tractor!
Comes with, front and rear pto, 4 way hydraulic front blade, front sweeper, 48" mower, suitcase weights, chains. Looking forward to getting it home. Going to use that blade to clear a bigger rink for the kids on the slough!
I have for my 318 right now, a 48" deck with power bagger, single stage snowblower, and hydraulic tiller, implements are interchangeable on both JD's
The 318 has been a perfect little tractor for me. It mainly cuts grass and trails, till occassionally, have used the snowblower to clear trails, even used it for the driveway a couple times. The real tractor generally gets the snow days. I'm stoked to be getting the 332 diesel. The guy I'm getting it from sent a video of it running, and that little diesel engine sounds amazing!
What do you have?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:19 PM

Recently sold my 1966 Cub Cadet 123 , hydro drive, but still have my 1978 JD 317 Hydro drive..with hydraulics
Old 12-03-2019, 10:36 PM

Default Garden tractors

I have an old Satoh Beaver diesel tractor that needs a few parts. If anyone knows of a parts source, or knows of one sitting behind someone’s wood shed, please let me know.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 PM

My folks rented an acreage once that had a JD318 with it. Owner passed away and his kids took it over around the same time my parents bought a house. Told them they should have made an offer on that tractor as it was in great shape. I forget the deck size but it had a tow behind sweeper and the hydraulic tiller. I have looked for the same tractor and can’t believe for their age how they hold their value. Especially when you consider how many were made over 10 years. Even now if you find them expect to pay over 2000$ for one with just the mower deck. A few websites dedicated to restoring them which is what I would want to do. Find one in good shape and restore as a useful project then get it back to my parents for their garden and yard.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:49 AM

We have a JD 455 diesel with mid hydraulics, power steering and hydrostatic drive. Smoothest and most powerful little tractor I have ever run. Wouldn't trade it.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:19 AM

That’s good to know about the 318. I have one sitting in my shed needing a new motor. I guess I should fix it up.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 AM

I had a JD 455 too, came with a tiller and great bagger. I should have never sold that one.

I have a real old JD think a 110 that I put a pull-start Honda 8.5 engine on that my son has claimed. He just loves old Frankenmower. The thing can sit outside for 2 years without being run, give a little prime and it starts first pull. Ridiculous.

Right now I have a 34hp 2014 JD2032r with tiller, mower, front end loader, wood chipper and a 23hp 2012 Massey GC2400 with a cab and snowblower. What a cool little unit that is. If the JD sells I might get a FEL for the little massey.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Right on Ken. My dad had someone approach him and wanted to buy it. I put a stop to that discussion real quick. Those 3 cylinders run forever.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:35 AM

My dad restored this old 1.5hp motor from the mid 1930's. Really neat and it runs!!

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Terry those hit and miss engines are so cool, I would love to get 1 some day.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Terry those hit and miss engines are so cool, I would love to get 1 some day.
I'll ask my old man..... he may part with it?

But if your in Edmonton get in touch I'll buy you a coke and we can fire it up. It's pretty neat just watching it putt putt putt away.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:57 AM

I've got a 1966 Cub Cadet 122 with a front end loader.
It got a lot of use when we were doing the finishing landscaping around our house as it fit in places that the larger equipment couldn't.

IMG_20150427_170337 by Trevoroni, on Flickr

Growing up my dad had a JD 318 with all the attachments. He sold it and bought a ZTR mower when the engine needed a rebuild. I wish he would have kept it.

I'd like to pick up another 318 or a Case 446 or 646 with a hydraulic tiller one day.

Right now I'm using a Husqvarna R322T with a snowblower and the AWD has been great for our hilly terrain but I can tell it's not built like the old stuff.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I'll ask my old man..... he may part with it?

But if your in Edmonton get in touch I'll buy you a coke and we can fire it up. It's pretty neat just watching it putt putt putt away.
Deal on the visit, for sure! You keep that engine pal, but let me know if you are ever tired of it.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:34 AM

Here's my JD 265. Close to 30 years old with just over 200hrs
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 AM

I have a 1975 case 446 with a 20hp re power that i use for all my choirs at the acreage. I have the front blade, snowblower, mower deck (don't mow with it), hydraulic tiller. Had my Father in law weld me up a hitch that sits on the sleeve hitch so i can move trailers with it, or tow my little pull behind rough cut mower, I also had him weld up an attachment so i could lift my driveway harrows with the sleeve hitch clear off the ground but I don't have any pics of that right now. It's a cool old tractor that has started my addiction, I would like to upgrade with a JD 425/445/455 one day with a three point hitch and all the extra hydraulics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tr.jpg (67.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg tr1.jpg (39.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg tr2.jpg (32.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg tr4.jpg (37.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta bull hunter View Post
I have a 1975 case 446 with a 20hp re power that i use for all my choirs at the acreage. I have the front blade, snowblower, mower deck (don't mow with it), hydraulic tiller. Had my Father in law weld me up a hitch that sits on the sleeve hitch so i can move trailers with it, or tow my little pull behind rough cut mower, I also had him weld up an attachment so i could lift my driveway harrows with the sleeve hitch clear off the ground but I don't have any pics of that right now. It's a cool old tractor that has started my addiction, I would like to upgrade with a JD 425/445/455 one day with a three point hitch and all the extra hydraulics.
>>
Very cool. Really like the tall tires on these fellas. Neat to see it being so useful. These are when machines were made of real metal.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Gone Hunting

I gave away six old garden tractors/ riding mowers this summer. Two were Murray's

Thee were MTD and one odd brand. The odd brand tractor was the best of the lot. Very similar to a Case 442 but without the hydraulics.

They were replaced with a Case 442 I got off an AO member. I am now restoring the 442. I it has a snow blower, hydraulic roto tiller, and mower deck. I wanted it for the roto tiller. And because I like the old iron.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 PM

Cool Keg. I am a mower guy.
I have a real nice Cub Cadet zero turn that I was thinking of redoing the deck, but ran out of good weather.

And a little john deere pre-zero turn that will be sold.

And another cub cadet zt with a steering wheel, and a 65" for the 2032r, and frankenmower....

Yeesh

Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 PM

I just picked up a 1976 Kubota B7001 at Ritchie bros a couple of weeks ago. Its an ex Japan tractor, everything on it is in Japanese. Even has a bunch of Japanese writing in sharpie under the hoods (looks like maintenance logs). Needed some new front wheels but other that that everything (accept the headlights...) works very well. Start up and runs like a champ. 3 cyl diesel 18 hp.
Pretty cool little tractor.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
I just picked up a 1976 Kubota B7001 at Ritchie bros a couple of weeks ago. Its an ex Japan tractor, everything on it is in Japanese. Even has a bunch of Japanese writing in sharpie under the hoods (looks like maintenance logs). Needed some new front wheels but other that that everything (accept the headlights...) works very well. Start up and runs like a champ. 3 cyl diesel 18 hp.
Pretty cool little tractor.

Pretty cool machine, I might be mistaken but does the PTO not spin the opposite direction on those Japanese machines too? Something to think about when buying other attachments.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:13 PM

Just picked up a JD 330 with mower/bagger, rototiller, front blade and snowblower. Wheel weights and chains. The Yanmar diesel has 1400 hrs and runs like a top. It is a little underpowered for running the 48" tiller in sodded, but works like a champ in the garden. Just hooked up the snowblower but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta bull hunter View Post
Pretty cool machine, I might be mistaken but does the PTO not spin the opposite direction on those Japanese machines too? Something to think about when buying other attachments.
I had read that somewhere too but this particular one spins the normal way (clockwise when looking from the back).

Edit, found it.

Myth #7: The PTO Turns the Wrong Way
PTOs typically rotate clockwise. Both the PTO and the implement being driven must turn the same direction. There are only two Japanese tractors where the PTO turns counter-clockwise: the Kubota B6000 and the Mitsubishi Satoh Beaver. So, this myth is only true in the case of the B6000 which is an example of a very early Kubota B-Series model.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/20...rket-tractors/
Old 12-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
I had read that somewhere too but this particular one spins the normal way (clockwise when looking from the back).

Edit, found it.

Myth #7: The PTO Turns the Wrong Way
PTOs typically rotate clockwise. Both the PTO and the implement being driven must turn the same direction. There are only two Japanese tractors where the PTO turns counter-clockwise: the Kubota B6000 and the Mitsubishi Satoh Beaver. So, this myth is only true in the case of the B6000 which is an example of a very early Kubota B-Series model.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/20...rket-tractors/

Good to know thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 03:34 PM

Well bringing the little green diesel home right now. Loaded up and heading north on hwy 2. Pill get pics on sometime.
Brad
Old 12-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Cool Keg. I am a mower guy.
I have a real nice Cub Cadet zero turn that I was thinking of redoing the deck, but ran out of good weather.

And a little john deere pre-zero turn that will be sold.

And another cub cadet zt with a steering wheel, and a 65" for the 2032r, and frankenmower....

Yeesh
I have a Poulan/Husky zero turn I'm very happy with. It's a must, I have four acres of grass to mow.

The case is for snow blowing and roto tilling. These days only machines worth more then $10,000 are equipped to run attachments.
The lower priced machines just have pull type self powered attachments.

Plus I like the older machines and can fix them myself. Most newer machines are too complicated for home repairs.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I have a Poulan/Husky zero turn I'm very happy with. It's a must, I have four acres of grass to mow.

The case is for snow blowing and roto tilling. These days only machines worth more then $10,000 are equipped to run attachments.
The lower priced machines just have pull type self powered attachments.

Plus I like the older machines and can fix them myself. Most newer machines are too complicated for home repairs.
The best part of owning a new JD is you DON'T have to fix!

Old 12-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Saw this on Kijiji and thought of this thread, '70's Sears tractor. Buddy is asking $2,500.00....
Old 12-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The best part of owning a new JD is you DON'T have to fix!
LOL would that it were true. I steered clear of them because I saw far too many abandoned because they weren't worth fixing.

Sister has a newer JD and I've been called on to fix things on it several times in the four years since she bought it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL would that it were true. I steered clear of them because I saw far too many abandoned because they weren't worth fixing.

Sister has a newer JD and I've been called on to fix things on it several times in the four years since she bought it.
Yeah I agree with you on that. For the price of the new JD lawn mowers you can find a rebuilt 318. I’d rather have old metal then new personally.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Saw this on Kijiji and thought of this thread, '70's Sears tractor. Buddy is asking $2,500.00....
I believe that was built by Murray, it looks a lot like one I gave away this summer.

Early Sears tractors were made by Murray and later ones by American Yard Products, the makers of Poulan and Husqvarna garden tractors.

George Bernard Shaw