Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 PM

Default Who can sell coyotes at auction?

Did a search,couldn't find a definitive answer. I'm going to try to get a decent number of coyotes this winter, and as I'm always bored during these months and finally have a heated shop, I would like to learn to properly put up fur. I'm wondering how I can go about selling them afterwards though. Who can send to auction? These would be shot on private and crown land, mostly private.Do I have to sell to a fur buyer or can I directly ship them myself?
Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 PM

You can ship them yourself with a trapping licence. Trapping licence also needed to sell to a fur buyer.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 PM

you don't need to be a trapper to sell coyotes to a fur buyer.

I sold them for a couple years before I started trapping, all the buyer took was my WIN card number.

as for auction, best to call FHA and ask them if you can setup an account without a trapping number. if you can, give them your WIN card and send away.

I don't recall reading anything on the NAFA website about needing to be a trapper to send in pelts. they just need to be legally harvested i.e. if you don't have a trapping license, then don't be sending them fur that doesn't have an open hunting season.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Can legally sell them under your hunting licence. Anyone buying your fur should be asking for that number. FHA will sell them for you under that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 07:23 PM

I have never heard of having to provide a win number or trapping license to sell coyotes.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
I have never heard of having to provide a win number or trapping license to sell coyotes.
If you are buying fur you need to fill out a Fur Dealer Transaction Record, need persons name and address,no trapping license needed to sell shot coyotes to buyer
Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Must be different for Saskatchewan.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:59 PM

For us in Saskatchewan this is a text straight from a sask conservation officer

“Yes you need a fur licence to sell the coyote or fur. As a sask resident you can shoot coyotes without a licence but cannot sell them unless you have a fur licence”
Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 PM
AO Sponsor

Wow, thats how it was in sask 27 years ago still is huh? You can shoot coyotes there w/o licence but need a fur licence or something if you want to sell.

Alberta any resident can shoot coyotes any time of year and maysell coyotes without a licence.

Alberta is not Sask... yet! GO WEXIT!!! So long as we dont have end up ndp again

Ya, we can even blast porcupines! Cool eh?