Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 06:29 PM

Default Nhl

Whens hockey going to about hockey again?
All this off ice stuff is turning the game into a bad episode of days of out lives.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Whens hockey going to about hockey again?
All this off ice stuff is turning the game into a bad episode of days of out lives.
This is only the tip of the iceberg I’m afraid.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:48 PM

I guarantee almost every coach in the NHL could be fired for the conduct the have with their players. Like Sheldon Kennedy said it's a workplace it's against the law no different than anywhere else lots of s**** going to happen in the next few months.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 07:27 PM

after hearing 10 minutes of the pregame show on the flames game. i decided to stream the islanders game instead. Not one word on any of this. Just hockey talk
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I guarantee almost every coach in the NHL could be fired for the conduct the have with their players. Like Sheldon Kennedy said it's a workplace it's against the law no different than anywhere else lots of s**** going to happen in the next few months.

Not even just the NHL anymore, it’s leaking into the CHL and even minor hockey.

When I was playing in the western league I can recall every coach I ever had yelling at his players, even kicking garbage cans around the room but that’s sport.
Coaches yelling at players always was the norm and I never seen an issue with it.
Coaches are now asking where is the line because we are all afraid to cross it.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Hopefully the whole Aliu thing doesn't gain much traction other than "awareness" in Canada or the NHL. If it gets to the point that organizations are getting sued or people are losing their jobs, I fear that a certain demographic may unfortunately be passed over in the scouting process as owners, GM's and coaches may worry about them becoming a liability in the future. I don't think that this would be a good thing, as hockey in general is beginning to attract a pretty diverse fan base, as well as some very talented athletes that typically wouldn't have had an interest in hockey 20-30 years ago.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 PM

Go do some digging on the maple leafs new coach and his relationship with his agent David Frost in the past, but I don’t think it’s just about the nhl either. There were a lot of old school teachers that were “ old school” too and so on. Also if everyone wants to be a victim do the real victims get ignored in the crowd. I don’t like it one bit. Who is going to want to be a coach anymore, one miss step and your evil, racist, bigot, sociopath.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Hopefully the whole Aliu thing doesn't gain much traction other than "awareness" in Canada or the NHL. If it gets to the point that organizations are getting sued or people are losing their jobs, I fear that a certain demographic may unfortunately be passed over in the scouting process as owners, GM's and coaches may worry about them becoming a liability in the future. I don't think that this would be a good thing, as hockey in general is beginning to attract a pretty diverse fan base, as well as some very talented athletes that typically wouldn't have had an interest in hockey 20-30 years ago.
Since the Aliu incident happened over a decade ago the league has put out a huge diversity campaign and you are seeing more and more ethnicities enter the league than ever before. Up until the last few weeks the league, I thought has been heading in the right direction when it comes to diversity. They shouldn’t let an event that happened 10 years ago take away all of the forward progress that has been made in recent years.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Since the Aliu incident happened over a decade ago the league has put out a huge diversity campaign and you are seeing more and more ethnicities enter the league than ever before. Up until the last few weeks the league, I thought has been heading in the right direction when it comes to diversity. They shouldn’t let an event that happened 10 years ago take away all of the forward progress that has been made in recent years.
Bingo, exactly what I was alluding to. Now is not the time for any setbacks, time to focus on the game instead.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:46 AM

No doubt yall have heard about them ripping the traditional tier names out of the game as well. Guess kids are being coddled to the point that they are too sensitive to deal with being called a "pee wee" or "midget".

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/11...ivision-names/

Seems nothing is sacred any more in Canada when it comes to our heritage, and if it used to be then its even more of a target in this callout culture.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 AM

I was done with hockey after the Don cherry site show. Glad I didn't watch all this other garbage unfold. Been a big fan for 15 years, went to games when the leafs were in town and as a fan spent reasonable time and money on the sport. Time will be better spent hunting ,fishing and trapping anyhow.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM

I found this pretty funny, but sad at the same time as it's almost becoming true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nhl.jpg (29.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:37 PM

the game is done for have tickets for the game on the 19 to the garbage they will go
Old 12-05-2019, 02:29 PM

We all have the choice to either tune into, or tune out of all of the off-ice drama. It can bother you as little or as much as you want it to.

The product I see on the ice is still great despite my beloved Flames abysmal start to the year.

All of the other stuff is just background noise that I've chosen to ignore. I think as fans we often forget it's just a game. Can't take it too seriously, that's best left to the people with skin in the game.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:38 PM

I did the junior hockey thing when I was young too. Lots of screaming and yelling etc. but we did not have anyone getting beat up or physically abused that I ever saw or heard about. Saying that we had the Graham James type stuff going on that we didn't know about either.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
We all have the choice to either tune into, or tune out of all of the off-ice drama. It can bother you as little or as much as you want it to.
Bingo.

As soon as SportsNet or anyone else starts talking about hurt feelings I just change the channel and not let it bother me, like most things it's a choice.

I heard even Sean Avery is trying to get in on this?

He's one to talk, he was the leagues biggest DB for many years now he wants to play victim? Not on my TV he won't.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foonus View Post
No doubt yall have heard about them ripping the traditional tier names out of the game as well. Guess kids are being coddled to the point that they are too sensitive to deal with being called a "pee wee" or "midget".
That wasn't the kids that wanted that changed, it was the grownups. It was changed cause of the word Midget. Is "small people" or "little people" still the correct way to address them? It changes so often it's hard to keep up.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:24 PM

As I have been following the whole babcock, peters, Crawford debacle I get frustrated when everyone thinks this is a hockey issue. As a father of three daughters none of whom played hockey ( however I did till I was 16) in my mind this issue is much bigger than Hockey. I know hockey is King in Canada but there are thousands of Canadians who are not remotely connected to hockey. There are bullies and jerks in leadership positions in all walks of life. I myself have had a few as direct managers and I have seen similar behaviour in youth soccer, ringette , basketball , band etc coaches and organizations. There are many ways to motivate teams and individuals to success in sports and life and different people respond to various motivational techniques. To me the line that can be crossed and needs to be immediately called out and dealt with severely even if it results in success, is when someone intentionally demeans another human through verbal or physical abuse and of course any type of racism or gender bashing. However we also need to keep in mind that the percentage of these types of people in power ( sometimes in their own minds) is very small as compared to all those that motivate through positive re-enforcement. As I used to say when I was coaching and a parent got into my face regarding their star child I would
just ask them for the address to where I should send back the pay cheque I was getting for all the volunteer hours I put in that they did not....rant over, go flames...as an aside I recently saw Babcock on a wildtv program hunting giraffes in Africa and Ibex in Kazakhstan
Old 12-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
the game is done for have tickets for the game on the 19 to the garbage they will go

I see how it can be frustrating however if you are sincerely serious about throwing away tickets there are many organizations that will take the tickets and get them in touch with kids who wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to go to a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The past is the past.....to never be again....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Nope it will go away and on to another story of misery etc after the pit bull bit then a poodle bit someone bla bla bla.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 AM

All I know is that there are hundreds of coaches out there waiting for the shoe to drop, not just in hockey but in every organized sport, i'm afraid the ball is just starting to roll, if you sick of hearing about this on sports channels you better cancel your subscription as I doubt that this is going away quietly. IMO

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.