Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Province cancels funding contracts to Parent Link programs

More of the same. Many most vulnerable parents/kids, as well as “normal” average families, benefitted greatly from the programs these places have to offer. The place and staff in Peace River are really great. Hopefully, they will figure something out.

Edit:

While this is OK because it’s just ”hospitality” and “building relationships”:
Alberta premier chartered $16K flight to fly 3 premiers to Saskatoon after Stampede event
I'm hoping that they get funding secured somehow. If I'm reading this correctly it seems as though they will have to reapply for funding with the province but changes such as a reduction in services may happen. As a single dad who used parent link plenty in the last 3 years this would be a huge blow to the community if we lost our parent link center. For the truly low income families it would affect them even more, one less support for them. At one point do they UPC realize that creating efficiencies is not as simple as threatening to pull funding for social services?
Old 11-10-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I think that has more to do with the Turd, and the Turd not being flushed, then with Kenney.
Your absolutely correct . But he quit his job as an mp torun for premiere , he knew the state of affairs in ab, he knows what jt is all about , he took the job as a leader with full pay not as a apprentice in learning mode . He should of hit the ground running , now he’s going to appoint a panel to see what we want . Really?? Shouldn’t he and the other mps already be in touch with the people who just hired them ?
Old 11-29-2019, 01:33 PM

At least 750 front line RNs and RPNs to be laid off, Alberta Health Services tells UNA

Because who needs them. Let’s run efficiencies.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=fishnguy;4064650] At least 750 front line RNs and RPNs to be laid off, Alberta Health Services tells UNA

Because who needs them. Let’s run efficiencies.[/

Looks to be 500 over the next 3 years with attrition being offered first, up until the end of March 2020 (according to the PDF letter in the link provided). Would way sooner see the fat sliced off of the bulging AHS management.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:57 PM

I'm a bit confused where the 750 number comes from after AHS says an estimated 500.

I also am a bit confused as to cutting front line workers first and foremost. To keep services at the same level, that is going to require more RNs working OT hours to keep up, which is going to eliminate a lot of the savings desired by this move.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I also am a bit confused as to cutting front line workers first and foremost.
Which public outcry do you think is louder, AHS cuts 500 nurses or 200 middle managers?
Old 11-29-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Which public outcry do you think is louder, AHS cuts 500 nurses or 200 middle managers?
Minister of Health has full reign to tell where AHS board of where to make their cuts, and nothing of this severity happens without Minister/DM approval. That's what I don't get.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I'm a bit confused where the 750 number comes from after AHS says an estimated 500.

I also am a bit confused as to cutting front line workers first and foremost. To keep services at the same level, that is going to require more RNs working OT hours to keep up, which is going to eliminate a lot of the savings desired by this move.
I would wager that since the cut is for 500 FTEs, there are about 750 actual people filling those roles because of 0.5/0.75 FTE etc roles
Old 11-29-2019, 02:32 PM

There is no vision for a direction to take the province in if they have to ask public opinion of "what do you think we should do" If your agenda is to be a federal party leader then all you are doing is greasing palms along the way with tax cuts to benefit your future supporters and trying to come up with a party platform showcase for a dog and pony "look what I did show".

If the general idea is to cut all services to turn a surplus, not fund research into replacing a sunset oil economy, delay keeping up with infrastructure projects, etc then you are just building an infrastructure deficit that will have to be dealt with later...in a dwindling mono economy. I'm worried about the province becoming a version of West Virginia based on coal mining as we are not forward thinking at all. I don't see concrete plan to get that oil out of the ground and into other markets either as it is just the same lip service without results as he has a damaged relationship with federal leadership and our neighbouring port province.

The whole point of having a government is to deliver services and look to the future. Why not just collect taxes, cut all services to turn a surplus and accelerate the parting pat on the back off to federal politics with a feather in his cap. All this will be done off the backs of the disadvantaged and most vulnerable by the way.

Last edited by Rdamours; 11-29-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:30 PM
Banned

Just like the CBE decided to eliminate teachers positions and not paper pushers or management positions, AHS decided to cut nursing positions.
As much as I feel for the individuals which are going to lose their jobs, I can not forget the 100k plus energy sector ( and related to it ) which did lose their’s. And frankly, if the RNs are just like my next door neighbour, they deserve it fully!
When she snapped at me, the other week, that ‘my’ conservatives rolled back their salary, she also said that she had talked and agreed with her coworkers to refuse shifts, so they would teach the government a lesson by creating a crisis in the system. That was disturbing to me!
I know probably some of you are in the system and know exactly that this is what is happening. That’s probably one of the causes of our failed medical sector. Overworked nurses?! Give me a brake; they are being asked if they would want to take a shift. Overtime?! Yeah, they are already being paid overtime after 16hrs/week!!!
So please AHS, cut the crap! I would have fired many of their asses years back and hire people who really want to work for the money, benefits and perks they are getting.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
Just like the CBE decided to eliminate teachers positions and not paper pushers or management positions, AHS decided to cut nursing positions.
As much as I feel for the individuals which are going to lose their jobs, I can not forget the 100k plus energy sector ( and related to it ) which did lose their’s. And frankly, if the RNs are just like my next door neighbour, they deserve it fully!
When she snapped at me, the other week, that ‘my’ conservatives rolled back their salary, she also said that she had talked and agreed with her coworkers to refuse shifts, so they would teach the government a lesson by creating a crisis in the system. That was disturbing to me!
I know probably some of you are in the system and know exactly that this is what is happening. That’s probably one of the causes of our failed medical sector. Overworked nurses?! Give me a brake; they are being asked if they would want to take a shift. Overtime?! Yeah, they are already being paid overtime after 16hrs/week!!!
So please AHS, cut the crap! I would have fired many of their asses years back and hire people who really want to work for the money, benefits and perks they are getting.
While you seem to have had a less than pleasant experience with your neighbor, I would suggest that is absolutely not a universal thought or opinion amongst healthcare staff in general. OT after 16 hrs? Never have I heard of that before. I suspect that's not reality.
As with every single job category in existence, there certainly are some that manage to ride coat tails and skate by off the backs of others. There are just as many or more busting their hump working.
I would offer a slight note of caution with respect to these cuts, many of our vulnerable populace will feel it deeper than any of us may.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:50 PM

It's going to be a slice and dice year. I'm a believer in being fiscally responsible more so than any political party this province has seen in 40 years. The the key is responsible, responsible for the consequences of your spending, and of your cuts.

Rap attack cuts- will cost millions more than we are saving.
Early child care cuts- will create issues in our youth population, will create major issues.
AISH funding- I dont even know what to say

My take on big oil tax breaks. All companies want is consistency. If tax is 15% or 20% of profit, makes much less difference than if oil is at 50 or 80.00 a barrel. If oil is up they will come. If it's down they wont. Stop ****ing our money away!
Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they are already being paid overtime after 16hrs/week!!!
Haven't heard that one. Have heard nurses working only the long weekend in the month getting enough to pay the mortgage (I realize that it's a subjective amount but who has someone on staff that only works 3 days a month?) and getting their wage plus $75 because they worked through lunch (every single guy at work would work through lunch for $75/pop, that's about $1500 a month). There are some serious flaws in the system. How about we just start treating it like every other job out there, you are on day from 7 to 7 for these weeks and 7 to 7 at night for these weeks? I'm not your babysitter, if you need a replacement cause you can't make it, find a replacement or look for a new job.

Last edited by Trochu; 11-29-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
While you seem to have had a less than pleasant experience with your neighbor, I would suggest that is absolutely not a universal thought or opinion amongst healthcare staff in general.
It is pretty well a universal idea in 3 hospitals that I am aware of that no nurse will pick up a shift voluntarily - once they all refuse then they are "forced" to work at OT rates. This is a deliberate action they participate in.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:19 PM

^ Just wondering, what do you mean “pick up a shift voluntarily”?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:22 PM

Default Same as the rest...

He lies just like the rest of them. He kept saying there would be no "front line cuts" when it comes to emergency services. Then he "re-allocates" the percentage amount of the tickets that police issue...BAM, just like that the CPS loses 13 million from their operating budget overnight. If that's not a hit to front line I don't know what is. And now he is doing a "review" of photo radar...wonder how much that is going to cost us. Not to mention that police in Alberta get a large amount of their operating budgets from photo radar as well. Nice work...

Anyone who works in emergency services, AHS, teachers, basically any public sector job need to be very worried. Not to mention the kids in the schools that are losing teachers...Field trips have already been canceled for my kids. And they are asking kids to bring in basic supplies just so they can keep doing science experiments. Brutal!

But don't worry, it won't just be the public sector workers, once the effect of all the canceled school builds and cancer centre builds etc trickle down there will be less construction jobs too.

When people are losing jobs left right and center how is that going to help the economy? He's the same as the rest of them, maybe even worse, and certainly no genius!
Old 11-29-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
It is pretty well a universal idea in 3 hospitals that I am aware of that no nurse will pick up a shift voluntarily - once they all refuse then they are "forced" to work at OT rates. This is a deliberate action they participate in.
Sorry, and why should they be forced to work more hours after their full time hours have been worked. By definition that's how overtime works...if its over and above their 41 hrs/week, they get paid overtime. If they don't want, or can't work the overtime, they don't...pretty freakin simple.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsolo1 View Post
Sorry, and why should they be forced to work more hours after their full time hours have been worked. By definition that's how overtime works...if its over and above their 41 hrs/week, they get paid overtime. If they don't want, or can't work the overtime, they don't...pretty freakin simple.
That's how I understand it as well, I'm confused to what's being speculated
Old 11-29-2019, 10:43 PM

Has anyone ever worked as a nurse here? I havent but I've spent a considerable amount of time in the hospital and watched what they do and go thru. And let me tell you they deserve it! Alot more than any jogging pant wearing side boom operator. Or any hand on a drilling rig. Let's face boys we dont actually work that hard in the patch. I've been away for more then 2 months at a time, outside -40 and working 12-14hr days and it still beats wiping someone's ass or dealing with a parent that's terrified about their child.

These people are the ones that are there when we need them to the most. They should be cherished! Trying to relate a nurse to any of us plugs in the patch is ignorant as all hell.

And Kenney is a grease bag who stole his job from an actual albertan that cared about alberta.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Just wondering, what do you mean “pick up a shift voluntarily”?
I’ll answer your question for the soccer guy, if you two don’t mind: they are being called and asked, on record, if they would like to work a shift, from that to that day, that to that hour. Them, the RNs have the option and the payed for right to take it or refuse it. If it doesn’t make sense is because it doesn’t. And if you have relatives or family in the system which weren’t given the option yet, I guess it comes with seniority.

And to answer solo’s question at the same time, read a couple of posts above: the don’t need to work 40hrs/week to be payed overtime. Even I understood the “forced”.

Last edited by RO CC; 11-29-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I've been away for more then 2 months at a time, outside -40 and working 12-14hr days and it still beats wiping someone's ass
Suuuuure, but did you ask the nurse you’re talking about if he/she/it would swap spots?
Old 11-29-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Suuuuure, but did you ask the nurse you’re talking about if he/she/it would swap spots?
Whys that matter? It's ok to appreciate other people's hard work even when it's not relatable to oneself.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Whys that matter? It's ok to appreciate other people's hard work even when it's not relatable to oneself.
Like these good ole folks’ : Alot more than any jogging pant wearing side boom operator. Or any hand on a drilling rig.
??
Old 11-29-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsolo1 View Post
Every hospital has part-time workers (the preponderance of part time staff is how a cut of 500 full time equivalents comes out to 750 people) so they aren't working over their 40 hrs/wk. Someone calls in sick, they go down the list phoning and no one will come in. It is an essential service so the shift must be covered. If you are under contract you can be "required" to come in and work - at OT rates. They all know the gig and they play it.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Every hospital has part-time workers (the preponderance of part time staff is how a cut of 500 full time equivalents comes out to 750 people) so they aren't working over their 40 hrs/wk. Someone calls in sick, they go down the list phoning and no one will come in. It is an essential service so the shift must be covered. If you are under contract you can be "required" to come in and work - at OT rates. They all know the gig and they play it.
And as a ‘thank you for your effort’, here is a gas card, two days a week of paid child care and preferential rates for your home and vehicle insurance.

Still considering sending the neighbour’s contract to Mr. Kenney’s office, or some fake news outlet. Just gotta read through the disclaimer.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Like these good ole folks’ : Alot more than any jogging pant wearing side boom operator. Or any hand on a drilling rig.
??
Ive done those jobs so I don't need to. You're the only troll here stepping on honest working people.

You should send anything you want to Kenney. He will care for sure. That wont be a waste of your time at all.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:31 AM

You just generalized an entire industry by calling us all plugs and claiming no one works hard in the patch, then have the audacity to accuse others of trolling lol nice work.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 AM

It's just a union scare tactic. Don't you find it odd that almost immediately after Kenney says has will be cut, the union, announces nurse layoffs.. pretty sure it would take a week or so to review their budget and figure out a good place to cut. But they figure that of they say nurses (or teachers) will be cut,the public will get mad and try to force Kenney to change his mind .

The health minister will now step up and say they can't. It front line workers, and all of a sudden they will find a place to save money..

Chop the bloated management and old guys.. force people into retirement.

I was having a conversation with a friend and he (and I) both agreed that the public sector needs to pay their management a low salary, and incentivize them to find places to cut. As in, for every $500000 they save on the budget, they get a $xxxxz bonus.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I’ll answer your question for the soccer guy, if you two don’t mind: they are being called and asked, on record, if they would like to work a shift, from that to that day, that to that hour. Them, the RNs have the option and the payed for right to take it or refuse it. If it doesn’t make sense is because it doesn’t. And if you have relatives or family in the system which weren’t given the option yet, I guess it comes with seniority.

And to answer solo’s question at the same time, read a couple of posts above: the don’t need to work 40hrs/week to be payed overtime. Even I understood the “forced”.
Your response is difficult to understand, I'm trying to.
So you are upset that RNs are being asked to come in for extra shifts but refuse them? I just dont understand what you're angry about. If they are short staffed on a given day for whatever reason, and they need to fill the spot by calling someone on their day off yet that person on their day off says no....that's what angers you? You feel they dont have a right to choose to retain their scheduled time off by saying no to extra work?
Should they not just be creating more positions and hiring additional staff for said vacancies at regular pay then?
Old 11-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Trying to relate a nurse to any of us plugs in the patch is ignorant as all hell.
very true . my son worked in the patch while one of my daughters worked on a ward with people with terminal illnesses . morally , she was adding a lot more to society making people comfortable for their final days but it was sure not reflected in the compensation she was getting compared to my son .
Closed Thread