Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Sleeping back of truck

Anyone have any experience in sleeping in back of your truck ?
Old 09-12-2019, 04:44 PM

I slept on the front seat, the back seat, the box with and without cover. Sometimes planned that way, other times as a last minute thing. Some good nights, some bad one.

Try it!!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM

Far prefer the back seat to anywhere else, more secure, power for heat, phone, lights etc but 6'6 on a back seat has it's challenges.

I have a canopy on the 1 ton now, so turned it into an 'oldman truck' as the wife calls it, may try that one trip. I used to sleep in a cap when I was a kid a few decades ago.

Just remember these words - 'I was on my way to the range, Officer'.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-12-2019, 04:58 PM

I sure like my 5x10 cargo trailer for sleeping in. Hauls my kids 90cc quad I occasionally use and all my gear dry and secure and allows safe (ish) storage of gear when out hunting for the day. Cot with my totes underneath. Not an answer to your question but the $1500 I spent on that little thing 10 years ago was one of the best investments I have ever made. It's lent out to various friends and family 50x a year. I also sleep like a baby not being a bear sized burrito in plastic wrap
Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Nice to have an 8Ft. box. Done it for decades in all kinds of weather. Always maintain a little ventilation for condensation. Why not ? The time, with 2 sheets of plywood over the box and 6 " of snow was a little interesting though.

Grizz
Old 09-12-2019, 05:28 PM

Did it one time and left some food in the back of the truck under a canopy. Got back to the truck after a day out and a mouse had got into the back of the truck. Ate and spoiled some food. go figure.
the worst I had was driving in the fort St James area. those pesky black flies got into the truck with a canopy and I had huge welts from them. Always said the next time I would put a tent up in the back of the truck to keep the flies out.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 PM

I've got a ram 2500 with a carpeted topper and topper . Put a single mattress in the back with a bunch if covers . Should be okay for the weekend as the lows are about plus 9.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:25 PM

Done it many times. No issues. I’ve also curled up on the floor on a 14g cat grader although I did not feel overly rested in the morning.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 PM

I've done it before on short hunting trips for a couple nights. I just slept in the back seat. I'm only 5'9 so it wasn't bad at all.

When I was younger I put an air mattress in the back of my s-10 with a tarp over it on May long weekend. Got rather inebriated and passed out in there. That night it rained/snowed and apparently my tarp had a hole in it. I woke up in a puddle of ice water on my air mattress. That is probably the coldest I have ever been in my life.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 PM

Thumbs down

Worst night I ever had was in the back of a Bronco II. There was just no room anywhere. Front seats, back seats, nothing was comfortable. It was July, stinking hot and could not roll the windows down because of mosquitos.

Only other time in a vehicle almost as bad was in February in Winnipeg. The Brier was on, unbeknownst to me, so they gave my room away. I went to Wal-mart and bought a blanket and pillow, some snacks and a couple movies. I slept in the front seat of the 1 ton. Trouble is the 1 ton was a lariat LE, had 4 captains chairs with armrests and consoles front and rear. It was nearly -40, I was a few miles out down a back road to find some dark. The truck ran nearly all night, would command start it full heat and fall asleep, the truck would time out and shut off after about 15 mins iirc. When I was half frozen I would repeat the process,
all night loooooooooong.

I have never hated curling so much in my life lol.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Many many nights slept in the truck box with topper and a foamy, very comfortable and very dry and secure, no issues at all. way to many nights sleeping under the truck because when you're 20 years old and invincible only girls need a tent and a truck keeps the dew and mist off, you just gotta wake up slow cause it hurts when you don't.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Spent approx 30 days (all combined) in my entire life sleeping in
vech. The one only very bad experience was was when i was about
22yrs old & woke up around 3:30 am to a scruffy, homeless looking dude staring
me dead in the face through the small back untinted window and
about 20" my face, creeped me right out in a freddy Cugar sort a way.
That's my only one bad out of 30, so, not bad odds of getting a mediocre nap in.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Sleeping in truck

My buddies and I call my truck the “ Hotel Sierra” as I’ve slept in it many, many times. I’ve cut up an old blue foamie to fit in the low spots of the back floor ( seat folded up, of course) so there’s no hump from “ the doghouse” so to speak, and then put a single inflatable mattress on top. My truck read -27 when I woke up in it a few years ago on a mule deer hunt. I had blasted the heat before going to sleep the night before and then slept in my biggest, baddest sleeping bag all night, no problem. Just get up quick, start truck and get back in sleeping bad until it warms up inside. At 5’11” I cant quite stretch out in it, but it serves the purpose. I shot my biggest mule buck to date on that cold morning!!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 PM

I have a 6.5 ft box on my Silverado and a canopy. This summer I took the dogs out to BC. I put my cot in the back. The cot fits in with just a couple inches to spare. Sometimes that was more comfortable than sleeping inside listening to two howling Beagles in the back by themselves. Between kids and Beagles I don't think I've had a great sleep in years. Sleeping in the back of my truck neither made that worse nor better.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Back in the 80's was working with National Defence in Whitehorse, we signed out a truck, zodiac, tent & camping gear from Supply & went fishin up to Chilkat Lake near Haines Alaska on the Sept long. Pouring rain the first night we were told by local warden we needed to relocate as a big male grizzly was in the camp ground so we slept in the truck, I got the back seat, didn't sleep much, griz hung around and was in the creek catchin salmon, happy we had the truck.

D.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 PM

Done and will do it again. Front seat, back seat, box with a canopy. Prefer the back seat except for the length. Use as much cushioning material as you can against the door that your head and shoulders will be resting against. Expect to be doing it soon in the SE while antelope hunting.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM

I used to do it quite often when I had a hard topper. I don’t have a topper anymore but thinking a rooftop tent would be cool. Right now I have a hammock I attach one end to the truck box tie Down and the other to a fence post or a tree or whatever. Sleep in the hammock instead of truck. There is a company that makes a truck bed hammock but it can only be used in a truck bed.. my hammock has a screen and a rain fly and can be used for whatever wherever.
The warbonnet hammocks have a foot pocket so a guy can sleep horizontal not like a banana they go on sale Black Friday. They also make a double that is ok if you have a smaller lady or dog.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Worst night I ever had was in the back of a Bronco II. There was just no room anywhere. Front seats, back seats, nothing was comfortable. It was July, stinking hot and could not roll the windows down because of mosquitos.

Only other time in a vehicle almost as bad was in February in Winnipeg. The Brier was on, unbeknownst to me, so they gave my room away. I went to Wal-mart and bought a blanket and pillow, some snacks and a couple movies. I slept in the front seat of the 1 ton. Trouble is the 1 ton was a lariat LE, had 4 captains chairs with armrests and consoles front and rear. It was nearly -40, I was a few miles out down a back road to find some dark. The truck ran nearly all night, would command start it full heat and fall asleep, the truck would time out and shut off after about 15 mins iirc. When I was half frozen I would repeat the process,
all night loooooooooong.

I have never hated curling so much in my life lol.

You should try a Volkswagen.

Grizz
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Hey I had a new beetle for a while, have never in my life had a vehicle with more headroom! It was amazing how much room they have. Great in snow too.

I want to buy a smart car, coolest golf cart ever lol

Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I want to buy a smart car, coolest golf cart ever lol
Make sure it has a sunroof, your gonna need to see where your 9ft self is going.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:33 PM

dodge 3500 mega cab back seat pull out flat almost like a single mattress..
Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I spent one night in the back seat of a ‘71 VW super beetle.

Don’t think I’ve been that cold or uncomfortable since.

I have a Dodge Megacab.
I fold the back seats down flush and a double mattress will fit back there for width but needs to be trimmed for length.

Not bad at all.

Even had some girlfriends accompany me on some excursions.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 PM

I recently chose a Suburban with about 8 feet x 4 feet of interior sleeping space with third row removed and middle row folded flat into floor.

Now the trade off will be when I have to put an animal in there. We’ll soon see.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Anyone have any experience in sleeping in back of your truck ?

Done it for years, carpeted canopy's the way to go. Used a roof top tent for a couple of seasons & waaay to much time frosty mornings on tear down & sold it off.

All around utility of a good canopy is hard to beat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Default MGB & Suburban

I slept for 5 weeks during the weekdays in my MGB one summer working on the survey crew on Hwy 9 near Bow Island. Amazing leg and elbow room. I was comfortable. Car radio used to pull in am stations in far away places like Texas.

I had a 1989 Suburban and now have a 2004 Suburban 1500 4x4 that I sleep comfortably in. As mentioned above, I fold down the 2nd seats flat and leave the 3rd seat at home. My gear in bins is in line with the driver's side and I sleep in line with the passenger seat. 8+ feet.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Done it for years, carpeted canopy's the way to go. Used a roof top tent for a couple of seasons & waaay to much time frosty mornings on tear down & sold it off.

All around utility of a good canopy is hard to beat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard this is critical for condensation! Little ventilation is much better as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
I've got a ram 2500 with a carpeted topper and topper . Put a single mattress in the back with a bunch if covers . Should be okay for the weekend as the lows are about plus 9.
Just as good as a tent, and the setup is much faster. Just remember to crack a bit of ventilation somewhere.

The more dogs you have with you the warmer it will be.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 PM

Check out GoFast Campers. Pretty slick solution:

Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 PM

I had a camperette?..like an overhead camper but no overhang and not as tall. spent 4 months in Waterton park doing landscape work, was awesome.

A 5/8" piece of plywood with a 4' piece of foam on top, 2 really good rectangular sleeping bags, slept like a baby.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:26 AM

I sleep in the box of my truck often, especially for ball tourneys.

I have a thick foam mattress I put on a 15" elevated floor (lots of storage space under it) and bring 3 or 4 mink blankets and sleep like a baby. When it's time to go throw your BBQ and lawn chair in the back and your off when everyone else is fumbling with tents and trailers. I have a huge Swiss Army tent, and I mean HUGE, and haven't used it in 3 or 4 years. It's just too easy and comfortable to sleep in the box and no setup or searching for a good spot for a tent needed, I sleep where I park. I obviously have a canopy on it.