Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Default S M Heart Card, any body carry this

I just found out about this item, Heart attack meds, smheartcard is designed to carry in your wallet or purse, for the chance you can save your self or any other person from a heart attack, until you get them in emergency, at 20.00 it's a cheap insurance

smheartcard.ca
Old 05-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Just started wearing this holds two aspirin 81

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I just found out about this item, Heart attack meds, smheartcard is designed to carry in your wallet or purse, for the chance you can save your self or any other person from a heart attack, until you get them in emergency, at 20.00 it's a cheap insurance

smheartcard.ca
>>
I think it's a great idea to have on hand. Cheap insurance for sure. Do you know where a person can get them I wonder?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
I think it's a great idea to have on hand. Cheap insurance for sure. Do you know where a person can get them I wonder?
I bought mine from there website, Edmonton location
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Great idea. Don’t carry a wallet but going to buy a few. Throw one in each vehicle, motorhome and wife’s purse.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I bought mine from there website, Edmonton location
>>
Super. Thank you again.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Bloody cool. Gonna buy a half doz. and stash them everywhere. My workplace is definitely aging in to that zone of heart attack risk, and I’m no spring chicken either.

Thanks for spreading the word.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:06 PM

I carry a small sealed capsule with a few loratadine tablets in it in case of allergic reaction. It's water proof, and could hold an aspirin or two as well. Allergies are more of a concern for me, as I had a some minor reactions that were fairly unpleasant for a couple years. Probably hay fever.

And I had a one time reaction where I ate and touched all the same things as I did the day before, and the day after. I had to go to the hospital to get a couple shots. If I am out hunting, hiking, or on a trip, I'll carry an Epi-pen. Just in case someone I'm with, or I require it myself. Only happened once, probably 15 years ago, but you never know when you'll have to save yourself, or buy some time.

Sorry if it's a bit of a derail.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-24-2019, 08:16 AM

i have a tiny waterproof (with o-ring seal) capsule on my keychain for a few nitro pills and aspirins. I dont want to ever get caught without them on me again.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
i have a tiny waterproof (with o-ring seal) capsule on my keychain for a few nitro pills and aspirins. I dont want to ever get caught without them on me again.
Do you have a heart condition of have you experienced one all of the sudden? I remember my dad used to have one on him all the time but he was a sick man. Are you carrying it just in case?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Do you have a heart condition of have you experienced one all of the sudden? I remember my dad used to have one on him all the time but he was a sick man. Are you carrying it just in case?

I am living with congestive heart failure bought on by a heart attack and also have a side affect called Arrhythmia that some get as well.

One day i was considered to be fairly physically fit and then it seems like next minute i hit the dirt with a massive heart attack. Wasnt that many years before that i used to run the odd half marathon even. And was a avid runner/cyclist.

So i know about all of a sudden to with no warning. If id had some aspirins it might have helped some they say,as i was aware most of the time so could have took some,though i did slip in and out of consciences i think (not sure) a bit. I lost track of time and cell kept losing service. I was out in the country and they had a hard time finding me. It was the time that it took to get me to hospital that did all the damage.

Im down to 4 pills a day now as compared to 7 at the start. Ill be taking them for what ever time i have left.

Your welcome to PM if you like re your dad etc..
Old 07-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Make sure if you have the SM heart card, you fill it up with the meds, they don't come with the meds. Just a reminder.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Default ASA 81mg

When did they change the dosage of ASA?

I thought it was quickly chew two tablets.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:58 PM

The ASA dosage, is 81 mg to get your blood flowing nice, then use one of the nitro pills under your tongue when your on your way to the hospital.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
The ASA dosage, is 81 mg to get your blood flowing nice, then use one of the nitro pills under your tongue when your on your way to the hospital.
Read the article, that's not even close to what it directs you to do.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Opps sorry, take all ,4 ASA pills, then go with the nitro pills one at a time, every 5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptLSiqPMIw
Old 07-03-2019, 07:21 AM

Maybe the most important thread some of us will ever read. Thank you. Gonna get me a few.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 AM

Default You tube medical advice?

Really neat idea, ASA is a good idea, Nirtro is not. Nitro isnt for all forms of chest pain. If your prescribed Nitro Tabs or spray then by all means, take when needed. Nitro is a serious medication and can kill ya.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Really neat idea, ASA is a good idea, Nirtro is not. Nitro isnt for all forms of chest pain. If your prescribed Nitro Tabs or spray then by all means, take when needed. Nitro is a serious medication and can kill ya.
I hear you, but if I'm going through Chest pain, Ill take the meds in the order, they say to do, 50/50 on saving a life, take it to keep going or let the chips where they fall.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Not the way it works

There is a reason you cant just walk into a store and buy Nitro.
Whats missing in that Video is the part where the person carrying this card has a diagnosis for angina or some Cardiac history. That roll of the dice on the Nitro made to soon, could result in ya not making it.
Everyone should get to choose how they go out, just make sure its not because of a mistake is my suggestion.
Biggest thing is, and this is the important part, most men slough off mild chest pains as a muscle pain, ate spicy foods or just damn old stubbornness and “it’ll pass”. Any chest pain not associated with Trauma of some sort, needs an ecg asap to avoid prolonging irreparable heart damage. Just a quick ER visit to get the all clear. I’ve been to lots of Cardiac arrest’s where the wife says “he’s been having dull chest tightness for a week, but he just thought it was from working to hard in the yard”.
That Video talks about taking ASA and Nitro and not calling 911 until additional Nitro has no effect. I’m telling you now, if you are an undiagnosed person having chest pain and you follow those instructions, you will be lucky to survive.
There are a few other medics on here that would give this same advise.
Be safe out there, and carry that Asprin if not allergic, and get to a hospital as soon as you can.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
There is a reason you cant just walk into a store and buy Nitro.
Whats missing in that Video is the part where the person carrying this card has a diagnosis for angina or some Cardiac history. That roll of the dice on the Nitro made to soon, could result in ya not making it.
Everyone should get to choose how they go out, just make sure its not because of a mistake is my suggestion.
Biggest thing is, and this is the important part, most men slough off mild chest pains as a muscle pain, ate spicy foods or just damn old stubbornness and “it’ll pass”. Any chest pain not associated with Trauma of some sort, needs an ecg asap to avoid prolonging irreparable heart damage. Just a quick ER visit to get the all clear. I’ve been to lots of Cardiac arrest’s where the wife says “he’s been having dull chest tightness for a week, but he just thought it was from working to hard in the yard”.
That Video talks about taking ASA and Nitro and not calling 911 until additional Nitro has no effect. I’m telling you now, if you are an undiagnosed person having chest pain and you follow those instructions, you will be lucky to survive.
There are a few other medics on here that would give this same advise.
Be safe out there, and carry that Asprin if not allergic, and get to a hospital as soon as you can.
I hear on all that you say, as you have the back ground to say what you say,
but I took my pill case to a, pharmacy, showed them, the sm heart card, and they filled the case with no questions, Just had to sign the paper for the Nitro pills.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 PM

Default What?

I am blown away by that! And for free?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:56 PM

Just dropped a couple of 81's into my bowl of Rum and Coke
Old 07-03-2019, 11:40 PM

Default Lol

Nice!
Old 07-04-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I am blown away by that! And for free?
No not free, ASA 81mg was on the shelf, but the Nitro was behind The counter, so plus 16 or so for the meds.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:36 PM

I always carry the nitro spray. never go anywhere without. Nurse told me years ago they told patients never shake the bottle or it could go boom. YIKES
Old 07-04-2019, 04:41 PM

I would recommend to anyone with heart troubles to get the OK from a cardiologist before taking nitro. I've had heart trouble for over 15 years now....and my GP gave me some nitro spray and patches "just in case". One day the cardiac nurse called me to set up my upcoming heart surgery. I said good, cause I just put a patch on. Dead silence on her end.....then "you can't take nitro". She said give me a minute, I'll call you right back. She called the cardiologist and she called me right back. You can't take nitro....as I peeled my patch off.No one ever explained to me why I couldn't....and the GP didn't know. So I would recommend getting the official word from a cardiologist.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Folks struggling with Bradycardia (slow heart beat) and Hypotension (low blood pressure) usually are not to use Nitro as it slows both even more. It can in rare cases kill you. Theres also drugs you cant take if you use it.
Like Bushmaster said dont mess with it. Talk to your cardiologist. GP's are not trained expressly for heart stuff so i always defer to my Cardiologist as they see this heart stuff day in and day out year after year. A GP not so much.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:17 PM

I don't know how true this is, but a FIRST RESPONDER told me that this is the last thing they look for. They are more interested in getting you to the Hosp. Should you not wear it, or do what you do, I don't know, but anything help's.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:00 AM

Default Nope

Nope, not everything helps, lol, some things hurt ya.