Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 AM

There is a fair amount of very good bulls killed every year in places where you don’t need permission or priority. It’s hard work and never a sure thing but if it were easy it wouldn’t be a trophy.

If I were Tork, I would sit on the points until theres a “honeymoon” phase going on in a new zone with very limited tags and hop on that. Hunt general zones in the meantime and hope your day for a 350+ comes while hunting off a general tag.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Some great advice Jon. An interesting thread for sure. Seeing as the hay days of the prairie zones are behind us for the time being I’m not sure P20 offers any advantage over P10 or 12 or less. I wish OP all the best in his quest for a trophy elk but as you stated already, the best bet may be the one in his back yard so to speak, on a general tag.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM

Lol...I wonder how many members visited this thread thinking they might find the next best WMU to kill a monster bull in?

If anybody knows where to find a 400”+ bull it would be Tork... I’m sure there are plenty of others that know where to find a real trophy too but there’s not a snowballs chance in hell they would lay it out here for everyone to see.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Lol...I wonder how many members visited this thread thinking they might find the next best WMU to kill a monster bull in?

If anybody knows where to find a 400”+ bull it would be Tork... I’m sure there are plenty of others that know where to find a real trophy too but there’s not a snowballs chance in hell they would lay it out here for everyone to see.
I believe he's from the north country. Not many 400" elk up there. Not that many anywhere in Alberta anymore actually.
Any of the prairies zones that may have one, that area will most likely be locked up pretty tight
Old 12-06-2019, 07:51 PM

I’ve found a few sheds that I would guess around 400. Never a fresh one though. If someone really wants a big elk then pass up the 330-340 bulls. As much as I like big bulls I couldn’t pass on a good 6x6.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

It’s no real big secret that the best for trophy quality in Alberta for the near future is and will be from vermillion south to Consort. There are still some tanks running around north and east of Suffield as well.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I don’t think tork is/was ever lacking opportunities to kill elk, and there aren’t a whole bunch of guaranteed 330s anywhere, at least for under 5 figure payments. Folks got twisted over Suffield, that was a once-in-ever situation that stretched out for a few years. Both the high priority outside hunts and the base opening. That’s gone, may as well forget it.

There are big bulls killed in Alberta every year, but as a function of permission not draw priority. And there are bigger bulls where there is no season for them.

That’s what I’m saying
Old 12-08-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Coulda killed two bulls at priority 10. Doesn't seem worth it holding onto these absurd amounts of priority anymore.
More so looking at the chance at a true monster, if there was one.

I could kill 300 inch plus bulls every year within an hour and a half of my house on a general tag. Unfortunately at that time of the year I’m committed elsewhere so was looking for something different.

I guess in the end I’ll take a chance at a private land 330” bull down south and just book a hunt in Utah or New Mexico for a giant. There’s worse problems to have I suppose.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:03 PM

I know of a 1/2 dozen plus or so elk that scored over 330” this year and one even tipped over the magic 400” mark. They were taken all over too, Peace Country to down South close to the border.

LC
Old 12-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I know of a 1/2 dozen plus or so elk that scored over 330” this year and one even tipped over the magic 400” mark. They were taken all over too, Peace Country to down South close to the border.

LC
Take some of those scores with a grain of salt. What someone tells you they score and what they actually score are two different things. Usually some disappointed people when they get them officially scored. Tork, good luck in your quest for a 350+ bull.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Take some of those scores with a grain of salt. What someone tells you they score and what they actually score are two different things. Usually some disappointed people when they get them officially scored. Tork, good luck in your quest for a 350+ bull.
Actually these are mostly officially scored bulls. I’m talking gross numbers though.

LC
Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Thanks for setting us all straight.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 PM

400" elk is like the 200" mark for mule deer. Lots are said and heard to be killed and pictures posted with never an actual score sheet but claim they are that big. I take every score with a grain of salt until I see it in person or see the score sheet. I honestly don't believe there are very many 400" bulls in this province. Maybe a couple around suffield still and way up peace country and vermillion. I like your idea of hunting south of the border for a real monster. I have killed quite a few bulls but it takes a lot of bone to reach 400". As for the OP original post I don't have the answer in this province yet. keep us posted.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:59 PM

I do but I’m not telling you people. Lol. There are at least 3 over 400” elk in a small parcel of land that is southeast of morinville and north east of high river. Lots know of the area I speak of. Too bad that you can’t pack a rifle in said land.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
400" elk is like the 200" mark for mule deer. Lots are said and heard to be killed and pictures posted with never an actual score sheet but claim they are that big. I take every score with a grain of salt until I see it in person or see the score sheet. I honestly don't believe there are very many 400" bulls in this province. Maybe a couple around suffield still and way up peace country and vermillion. I like your idea of hunting south of the border for a real monster. I have killed quite a few bulls but it takes a lot of bone to reach 400". As for the OP original post I don't have the answer in this province yet. keep us posted.
Wmu 300 has some close to 400”...seen them with me own eyes...
Old 12-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
I do but I’m not telling you people. Lol. There are at least 3 over 400” elk in a small parcel of land that is southeast of morinville and north east of high river. Lots know of the area I speak of. Too bad that you can’t pack a rifle in said land.
Yeah, they still won’t allow for hunting in the Ann and Sandy Cross sanctuary area, even less by the means of a rifle.
But please keep it coming guys! Learning tons indeed!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:49 PM

Talking to a local CO, nothing wrong or illegal about going for a quad ride through it and pushing them out though! Lol. That’s what he actually said
Old 12-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
Talking to a local CO, nothing wrong or illegal about going for a quad ride through it and pushing them out though! Lol. That’s what he actually said
Don’t tempt me, ok?
Old 12-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Wmu 300 has some close to 400”...seen them with me own eyes...
Yes “close” being the key word. I’ve some beauties there too but not many over the actual 400” mark. Are these bulls from this year you’ve seen or from past years?