Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Default 30th anniversary of Ecole Polytechnique Shooting, and Globe and Mail writer focuses on firearm used.

Typical of an anti-firearm liberal shill, Patrick White of the Globe and Mail continues to solely focus on type of firearm used rather than the actual event. Most of his articles are nothing but anti-gun propaganda.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...s-after-ecole/
Old 12-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Default Copy of the actual article about Mini-14

Thirty years ago, a 25-year-old man wearing blue jeans and Kodiak boots stormed into Montreal’s École Polytechnique carrying a heavy black bag and a grudge.

He pulled a legally purchased Ruger Mini-14 rifle from the bag, entered a classroom of engineering students and yelled, “Separate – the girls on the left and the guys on the right.”

He targeted the women, killing 14. Another 10 were injured along with four men. The Dec. 6, 1989 mass shooting remains the country’s deadliest.

Three decades later, despite tireless campaigning by former students, gun-control advocates and others for a ban, the Mini-14 remains as legal as ever.

The re-elected Liberal government has promised to prohibit the sale of “military-style assault rifles," but the Mini-14 has eluded such proscriptions before. Since its introduction to civilian markets in the mid-1970s, it has proven to be a shape-shifter of a gun – a simple hunting rifle to some, a deadly assault rifle to others – one that defies easy classification.

“It’s a very fine hunting rifle,” said Edward Burlew, a lawyer specializing in firearms cases who has worked with pro-gun groups. “It’s not designed to be an assault rifle, whatever that is. It’s suited for groundhogs, for raccoons and other small game. I’ve used it with my friends, and we found it quite good for that."

He is vehemently opposed to any law that would restrict access to the popular rifle. “I think anybody trying to ban it is just misinformed and reacting emotionally, not rationally.”

For those who survived the Montreal shooting, it can be galling to hear the Mini-14 referred to as a small-game rifle, especially after another Mini-14 was used to kill 69 young people in Norway eight years ago. “A vermin gun? We were not vermin 30 years ago,” said Nathalie Provost, who was shot in the forehead, legs and foot after she tried to talk down the Montreal shooter. “It was a war scene in that classroom – nothing less than that. Were they vermin in Norway when those young people were shot with the same gun?"

In the past, gun owners have won this clash of perspectives. In 1999, then-justice minister Anne McLellan assured gun-control advocates that the government of Jean Chrétien would prohibit the Mini-14 as soon as the long-gun registry was “satisfactorily implemented.” That day never came.

When the United States implemented a ban on assault weapons in 1994, it defined an assault rifle as any magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle featuring two or more characteristics that the Mini-14 generally lacked: a grenade launcher, a telescoping or folding stock, a pistol grip, a bayonet mount. But just to ensure the law didn’t scoop up any Mini-14s, lawmakers specifically exempted the gun.

The rifle has slipped through gun-control efforts here and in the U.S. because its form belies its function. Designed as a scaled-down version of the U.S. military’s M14 battle rifle of the 1960s and borrowing heavily from the M1 Garand used in the Second World War, the original Mini-14 featured a polished wooden stock that wouldn’t look out of place on grandpa’s hunting gun rack.

As for performance, however, gun enthusiasts often compare it with AR-15 style rifles, the kind used in Newtown, Las Vegas and numerous other mass shootings in the U.S. Like the AR-15, the Mini-14 is a magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle chambered in .223 Remington or the more powerful 5.56 NATO, rounds originally designed for military combat – smaller and lighter than the ammo used in the M14 and M1, so soldiers could carry more of it.

But perceptions of the gun have shifted of late. After New Zealand’s mosque shootings in March, the government there passed a ban on most semi-automatic rifles, including the Mini-14. In Canada, concerns over gun violence have been rising, as homicides using a gun vaulted from 155 in 2014 to 249 last year. Although handguns account for the bulk of that increase, the federal Liberals pledged to ban and buy back all “military-style assault rifles" in civilian hands during the election campaign. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau specifically cited the Montreal shooting as a tragedy where such a weapon was used.

“I do suspect that the Liberals will announce that the Mini-14 will be included in their definition of assault weapons,” said Heidi Rathjen, who was at École Polytechnique the day of the shooting and co-ordinates the gun-control advocacy group Poly Remembers.

Such an announcement would mark the end of a long campaign for Ms. Rathjen and other survivors. Immediately after the shooting, they drafted a petition to ban all semi-automatic rifles, which fire one round with every pull of the trigger without having to manually chamber a new round.

When the students realized such a blanket prohibition would affect many legitimate hunting rifles, they decided instead to request a ban on “military and paramilitary weapons,” terminology preferred by the RCMP at the time.

“That’s when people started to really get concerned about the availability of guns that can be fired as fast as you pulled the trigger – until run out of ammunition,” said Blake Brown, a history professor at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax and author of Arming and Disarming: A History of Gun Control in Canada. “If you look in the parliamentary debates at this time, there’s lots of people who are saying, ‘Why are we allowing these things to be sold?'"

Throughout the 1990s, the survivors’ push gained traction with Ottawa. Governments passed new gun laws that limited rifle magazines to five rounds (the Montreal shooter had used 30-round magazines), created a long-gun registry and placed onerous restrictions and prohibitions on models of firearms “not reasonably used in hunting.”

“Theoretically, it was supposed to have been a ban on all assault weapons,” Ms. Rathjen said. “It was the best that we thought we could expect.”

It didn’t last. The list of prohibited models was not updated when new models entered the market, and the Conservative government of Stephen Harper scrapped the long-gun registry.

The Trudeau government won’t specify which models it plans to ban, but is doing little to tamp down the hopes of École Polytechnique survivors. “Military-style assault rifles have been used tragically to target women and students,” said Scott Bardsley, spokesman for Public Safety Minister Bill Blair’s office. “As promised to Canadians in the recent election, we will ban military-style assault rifles – and will have more to say in due course.”
Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 AM

It's sad that this day has morphed from something that Canadians should solemnly remember as a horrible event, to an event that politically minded people use to push their agendas. It's not even remotely close to Canada's worse "mass murder", but they promote it as Canada's worse "mass shooting". It's not even that anymore, it's turned into a rally cry for "violence against women", even though it was one deranged, pathetic misogynist that committed this horrible crime. Violence against women is never acceptable, but put the blame where it belongs.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Default walking on graves for votes

That's very self serving and disgusting at best. Who is the bigger fool ,the fool presenting the message or the fools believing it and clapping like trained seals?
Old 12-06-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
It's sad that this day has morphed from something that Canadians should solemnly remember as a horrible event, to an event that politically minded people use to push their agendas. It's not even remotely close to Canada's worse "mass murder", but they promote it as Canada's worse "mass shooting". It's not even that anymore, it's turned into a rally cry for "violence against women", even though it was one deranged, pathetic misogynist that committed this horrible crime. Violence against women is never acceptable, but put the blame where it belongs.
And which mass shooting would be would be bigger than this in Canada ,I don't remember any bigger ones as far as casualties and people killed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
And which mass shooting would be would be bigger than this in Canada ,I don't remember any bigger ones as far as casualties and people killed.

The largest mass murders in Canada didn't involve firearms.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:17 PM

Default Here's what they don't tell you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_L%C3%A9pine
Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Why do we need to know about this loser his name should be erased

Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Why do we need to know about this loser his name should be erased

The part that they want us to forget is that his parental name was Gamil Gharbi and he came from a misogynist Moslem background.

Grizz
Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 PM

Default thank you

At least some can see the forest for the trees.Political correctness is for cowards.The recent Naval base shooting in the US was a Saudi National trainee.Second verse same as the first.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's very self serving and disgusting at best. Who is the bigger fool ,the fool presenting the message or the fools believing it and clapping like trained seals?
^^x2^^
Old 12-07-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The part that they want us to forget is that his parental name was Gamil Gharbi and he came from a misogynist Moslem background.

Grizz
I did not know that, you’re a wealth of information. I’ve sist spent the
AST 20 minutes reading about Gmail.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:41 AM

Default new developements

Quote:
At least some can see the forest for the trees.Political correctness is for cowards.The recent Naval base shooting in the US was a Saudi National trainee.Second verse same as the first.
Six additional Saudis have been arrested with three filming their buddies shooting rampage.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
This was the first muslim terror attack in Canada, resulting in mass murder, but some people want us to forget that, and blame the tool that this murderer used.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:11 AM

When they release the list of firearms they wish to ban, you can bet that most won’t have ever been used in a shooting in Canada, never mind a mass shooting. I think I’ve read multiple times that an AR-15 has only been fired criminally once here, and I don’t even know if a death occurred.

Just a pack of hyenas with an opinion who have rallied up hatred towards certain items. Their stupidity is legion when they want to ban items while continuing to barely incarcerate our criminal and mentally ill elements, the very people responsible for the statistically-little violence we do get.

All of the most openly prejudiced people I know are Liberals, plus some that I know of but have not personally met who hold public office.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Facebook link if you are interested in commenting:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=140961138903
Old 12-07-2019, 12:03 PM

I wonder if the anti gun crowd will ever realize things about humanity that they’d prefer not to admit, such as the fact that any civilization can turn on a
dime or that there will always be sick individuals bent on murder. They also seem to ignore the fact that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of other ways that people can still kill each other en masse without firearms. Being that humans are adaptive, creative and cunning there will always be ways that a deranged individual can create a large body count. Personally, I think it’s best that humans are left with options to defend ourselves.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think it’s best that humans are left with options to defend ourselves.
And that’s not up to anybody to give or take, but a God given right!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I wonder if the anti gun crowd will ever realize things about humanity that they’d prefer not to admit, such as the fact that any civilization can turn on a
dime or that there will always be sick individuals bent on murder. They also seem to ignore the fact that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of other ways that people can still kill each other en masse without firearms. Being that humans are adaptive, creative and cunning there will always be ways that a deranged individual can create a large body count. Personally, I think it’s best that humans are left with options to defend ourselves.
Agreed. When a evil person uses a rental truck to kill people in Canada it's evidence that our gun laws are working. But the system has failed a few times - one time is too many. But removing the guns solves nothing.

Just think what a billion or so dollars not spent in registries and buy-backs would do for border security and mental health in this country

Colin
Old 12-07-2019, 01:59 PM

Agreed, spending on mental health, border security and let’s be realistic, more jails would also help. There will zero measurable benefit from the firearms they want to ban because they currently account for such a small statistic it’s not even measurable. It also won’t do a thing to stop the crowd that already ignores laws like murder as well as drug & human trafficking.

What would also help would be government policies not intentionally killing completely viable industries, the body count from suicides of people left unemployed in O&G surely exceeds by a few factors of magnitude the murder count of the last 30 years committed in Canada with ‘assault weapons’.