Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 AM

The fact that he figured it out is a bonus point..But having said that the lesson to be learned is that when you reload you MUST reload for each rifle and Properly label and use that ammo and that ammo only in THAT rifle.

I have made mistakes and anyone on here who says they have not made a mistake is in denial or has not reloaded for any length of time. Crap happens no one hurt, doe down..move on.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Makes you wonder--How did I live to be old??????---
I wonder that every time I read one of your posts.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
The fact that he figured it out is a bonus point..But having said that the lesson to be learned is that when you reload you MUST reload for each rifle and Properly label and use that ammo and that ammo only in THAT rifle.

I have made mistakes and anyone on here who says they have not made a mistake is in denial or has not reloaded for any length of time. Crap happens no one hurt, doe down..move on.
Denial....is dat da River in Egypt?
Yup..lesson learned.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Default That was nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I wonder that every time I read one of your posts.
I worked at some very dangerous jobs---It wasnt if but when--your luck run out.and it did.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Default Reload

Quote:

Deer season over--On to yotes,Loading up some 22-250 today--My sako rdy put 3 in less than half an inch day before yesterday 100m.Could ring the 200m gong all day.----Wind from a bullet wont hurt you.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:20 PM

Default Denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Yup..lesson learned.
No boy---Thats what my 1st wife used---Sakes.Got to be more careful,could have blown my head off----
Old 12-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Default Yep

Quote:

Could have blown my head off----
Old 12-04-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not a short chamber, just shorter than the Tikka!
Cat
Wow, almost got my head blown off on a assumption--Dont that beat all--some bad shots never got it done, almost did it to myself----
Old 12-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Wow, almost got my head blown off on a assumption--Dont that beat all--some bad shots never got it done, almost did it to myself----
A good scare keeps a guy alive and lets him know he made a mistake.

Everything that is repetitive and has some element of danger if you do it every day ,one day you will come close to being hurt or killed.

There are no fast methods or assuming this or that in reloading ,so now you will be better at reloading.

JD
Old 12-04-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Reloading is something that needs to be done in steps and only a break from the table at certain times to ensure no double powder loading etc but that being said once all bullets are seated and your starring at your little precious babies final steps it to verify that all are run through the rifles action....safely...just a last precaution that there is no issues also last look at the cartridge.....

Or you may be in the field with a bullet in the barrel and a magazine full of powder...if your lucky you catch it, if not
Exactly this, I run each round through my rifles at the range safely, of course. My two Winchester actions make this easy.More carefully with my other rifles.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Default reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
A good scare keeps a guy alive and lets him know he made a mistake.

Everything that is repetitive and has some element of danger if you do it every day ,one day you will come close to being hurt or killed.

There are no fast methods or assuming this or that in reloading ,so now you will be better at reloading.

JD
Actually you are 100% correct --Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:54 AM

If assuming the OP did as he said he did, and measured the AOL of each round....then after thinking about this awhile the only thing I can come with is possibly neck tension. Maybe he missed actually resizing a casing or maybe the case neck was brittle and sprang back some allowing the bullet to travel forward in the case under recoil when he took the 1st shot at the deer. I would have thought that maybe if the bullet was slightly loose in the case for what ever reason that the recoil would drive it deeper into the case rather the forwards where that caused to make contact with the lands when he chambered it but not being a psychics professor I don't know. But the bullet moving forward in the case mouth under recoil is the only thing I can see that makes sense taking the OP's story at face value, and I do.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 12-05-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
If assuming the OP did as he said he did, and measured the AOL of each round....then after thinking about this awhile the only thing I can come with is possibly neck tension. Maybe he missed actually resizing a casing or maybe the case neck was brittle and sprang back some allowing the bullet to travel forward in the case under recoil when he took the 1st shot at the deer. I would have thought that maybe if the bullet was slightly loose in the case for what ever reason that the recoil would drive it deeper into the case rather the forwards where that caused to make contact with the lands when he chambered it but not being a psychics professor I don't know. But the bullet moving forward in the case mouth under recoil is the only thing I can see that makes sense taking the OP's story at face value, and I do.

Jim
Ummm, no!

Go re read the thread............

The OP used ammo set for one rifle in a different rifle with a shorter leade, and subsequently jammed a bullet into the lands.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Yup..lesson learned.
No some country and western song ...Da Queen of denial....
Old 12-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ummm, no!

Go re read the thread............

The OP used ammo set for one rifle in a different rifle with a shorter leade, and subsequently jammed a bullet into the lands.
Thanks Dick.....Somehow when reading this thread I had missed that post....DOH!
I never got any literary degrees either.....lol

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 12-05-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Thats it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
Thanks Dick.....Somehow when reading this thread I had missed that post....DOH!
I never got any literary degrees either.....lol

Jim
No harm done-pilot error--Alls well that ends well-----
Old 12-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Bullet separation

Looks like I am back were I started---Takeing the savage 6.5 to a safe area I proceeded to cycle 40 rds,without a problem and as smooth as silk.Why that bullet separated, and jamed in the chamber--still remaids a mystery.But for sure murphys law in full effect--It separated at a critical time.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Banned

You should buy a comparator, find a way to accurately measure where the lands are. And start your load development all over again
Old 12-10-2019, 12:10 PM

Not sure why you had an issue ,but given your findings I would start looking at your process from start to finish and make sure you have it all down. Also take measurements off the case and bullet in question. I would be a bit gun shy till I figured it out. Is there a possibility that one round didn't get seated same as others? Ram not all the way down? What you do know is there was enough neck tension to keep the round from pushing farther into the case and it was long enough to push into the lands but short enough to run in the mag. How long where the land grooves left on the bullet in question? There's definitely something whacky going on.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:15 PM

loose neck, bullet seated deeper or into case itself under recoil.....Short stroked press, ammo for another gun...lots of unknowns....be careful people.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You should buy a comparator, find a way to accurately measure where the lands are. And start your load development all over again
X2.Nothing wrong with starting over,the worst that can happen is double checking your work and feeling comfortable in your work and firearm.

JD
Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Default Bullet separation

I recovered the bullet that separated--And under glass discovered some deep cuts down one side of the bullet.I tryed some dummy bullets but no way could i duplicate the cuts--The seating depth,and land marks were visible.It seems like the bullet got pushed into the chamber at a extreme angle,how this happened I have no idea--I plan to persue with a gunsmith.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:50 AM

Default Bullet sep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
X2.Nothing wrong with starting over,the worst that can happen is double checking your work and feeling comfortable in your work and firearm.

JD
Thats exactly what has happened---Still not sure what happened,but feel certain it had to do with with the reloading proceeure.Tracking a mortally wounded doe for about 80 meters on fresh snow with no blood showing.With a jammed rifle,is something I never want to do again.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thats exactly what has happened---Still not sure what happened,but feel certain it had to do with with the reloading proceeure.Tracking a mortally wounded doe for about 80 meters on fresh snow with no blood showing.With a jammed rifle,is something I never want to do again.
Did you buy a comparator yet?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:08 PM
Banned

Even better
Buy one of these
https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...rement-station
Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Spine shot gone wrong?
Old 12-31-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Bullet S

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Spine shot gone wrong?
More like bullet failure.The 6.5 cm 143 eld-x caught her fair in the boiler room.With no blood showing she still went about 80m on fresh snow with no blood showing.This the 1st time I had the 143gr fail to perform.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:17 PM

Default Bullet P

Quote:
loose neck, bullet seated deeper or into case itself under recoil.....Short stroked press, ammo for another gun...lots of unknowns....be careful people.
That is well taken advice---Extra safeguards taken.Thanks
Old 12-31-2019, 07:36 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
More like bullet failure.The 6.5 cm 143 eld-x caught her fair in the boiler room.With no blood showing she still went about 80m on fresh snow with no blood showing.This the 1st time I had the 143gr fail to perform.
Is the deer dead?Then the bullet didn't fail.Heart shots don't usually drop them in their shadow,not unusual for a deer to run a bit after being heart shot.

You have run this thread around the block and back again with excuses,heart shot no blood,second round jammed due to loader error,wrong ammo,cuts on bullets ,need a gunsmith to check chamber,bullet failure....
Maybe it was too close when you shot it,ELD-X stands for Extra Long Distance Xtreme...does it not?Hornady doesn't recommend using them under 150 yards.
Anyway,mind your loading procedures a little more carefully and move on,you didn't blow your head off and nobody died....cept the deer.
Seriously...