Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-31-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Shouldn't SRD have got the paperwork in place before they started raising the tiger trout knowing they would have to stock them in the fall?

And you can't blame the election lol. SRD has been unable to fix the "accidental" removal of barbless for how long now? How many months/years until Tiger Trout correctly gets added as a game fish species? Just soon enough for these ones to have died off with no future stocking planned? Wouldn't surprise me...
Yes. But it is still the most realistic scenario I've heard.....vs. Planted to clean up the pond. Why would they want to kill the baitfish(Minnows) off that trout can feed on? Why would they try to kill off rainbows when they are unable to reproduce anyway? Makes 0 sense.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't SRD have got the paperwork in place before they started raising the tiger trout knowing they would have to stock them in the fall?

And you can't blame the election lol. SRD has been unable to fix the "accidental" removal of barbless for how long now? How many months/years until Tiger Trout correctly gets added as a game fish species? Just soon enough for these ones to have died off with no future stocking planned? Wouldn't surprise me...
Why should a sterile fish ever get added as a game fish species? Just tossing that out there. Naturally occurring tigers are regulated? Where?
Old 10-31-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:

The problem with your point is you are pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Barbless hooks and tiger trout classification and limits have to come from the FEDERAL government, not the provincial Department of Environment and Parks (btw SRD hasn't existed for the last 3yrs)
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Your logic is flawed. You are assuming that there is a desire to reinstate the barbless hook regulation. I'm happy that it's left up to anglers to decide when to go barbless.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Your logic is flawed. You are assuming that there is a desire to reinstate the barbless hook regulation. I'm happy that it's left up to anglers to decide when to go barbless.
"The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from Alberta Environment and Parks and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released."

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...lessHooks.aspx

Stop "asking" and start getting the laws changed... Same with Tiger trout...
Old 10-31-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Agree. Doubt barbless will be back.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released."
Well said. To bad a lot of "anglers" will still tear fish up with their barbs and poor release technique. I was ok with the barb ban.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:25 AM

Finally made it out to black nugget to check out the Tigers. Glad I did, were 4 kids there yelling up a storm all afternoon dropping really loud F-bombs when there were kids across the pond and they were keeping everything they caught no matter how small. We ended up leaving as it was just to much and we stopped on our way out to try and explain conservation and respect for everyone around them, clearly it went in one ear and out the other. Just before we left someone came around surveying everyone about the Tigers and asking what we caught and if we kept any. Was proud to tell her all 3 of mine went back in and one was a nice little fatty. It's really to bad some people are hellbent on ruining fish stocks. Funny thing is it's the same people that will be complaining in a few years that there's no fish left, go figure
Old 11-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
"The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from Alberta Environment and Parks and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...lessHooks.aspx

Stop "asking" and start getting the laws changed... Same with Tiger trout...
Tons of evidence that proves barbless regulation is a waste and unnecessary.

Reason for the reg in the first place was because Ralph Klein loved fishing northern Manitoba. Thought the reason why the fishing was so good was because of barbless hooks. He then forced the reg even though biologists tried to explain it was not needed.

Now we have fish cops looking to snare one little wool fibre to make some poor angler cry.

Stupid rule. Needs to stay away.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Wow, for once a volatile post is going the right way.

I like the comment about anglers making up their own mind about barbless.

For the tigers, I'm not sure if some of the people here witnessing the slaughter have actually called it in? Whether it is under the rules or not, be the eyes and voice. How about half of a dozen on here simply call the local F&W and bring attention to it. I'll do that and bring attention to this post.

Cheers all!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

For the tigers, I'm not sure if some of the people here witnessing the slaughter have actually called it in? Whether it is under the rules or not, be the eyes and voice. How about half of a dozen on here simply call the local F&W and bring attention to it. I'll do that and bring attention to this post.

Cheers all!
Must also realize these are put and take lakes.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

Cheers all!
What are you going to call in exactly?
Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
What are you going to call in exactly?
The law abiding citizens I guess...

There might be someone with SRD worth contacting to potentially speed up their process in protecting these fish like they should be but I am not sure who that would be. At a minimum they need to get Tiger Trout listed as a game species here in AB, imo they should also place special restrictions on them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Must also realize these are put and take lakes.
And you have to realize these anglers are taking advantage of SRD's incompetence to load up on an expensive fish that we taxpayers paid for...

These aren't your regular put and take lakes or rainbow trout of which there are plenty that these anglers could go catch. Instead they choose to take advantage of this poorly handled situation to load up their freezers...

The Tiger trout were meant to be a diversification to allow anglers the opportunity to target another species here in AB not just to fill a handful of anglers freezers... SRD has asked for them to be released but they shouldn't be asking they should be telling...
Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:

There might be someone with SRD worth contacting to potentially speed up their process in protecting these fish like they should be but I am not sure who that would be. At a minimum they need to get Tiger Trout listed as a game species here in AB, imo they should also place special restrictions on them as well.

And you have to realize these anglers are taking advantage of SRD's incompetence to load up on an expensive fish that we taxpayers paid for...

These aren't your regular put and take lakes or rainbow trout of which there are plenty that these anglers could go catch. Instead they choose to take advantage of this poorly handled situation to load up their freezers...

The Tiger trout were meant to be a diversification to allow anglers the opportunity to target another species here in AB not just to fill a handful of anglers freezers... SRD has asked for them to be released but they shouldn't be asking they should be telling...
Bang on. Such a ridiculous way of handling their first and likely only tiger trout stocking. People just dont get it.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:

That is exactly what I meant. I'm not talking at all about nailing those that are killing them, that is their right. Just to get F&W to understand what is happening and that they might want to do something about it...earlier rather than later. A few "hot" calls might just get some action. Also, I'm not looking to blame F&W....somehow |I'll bet they will be a bit surprised about what others are reporting here.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Banned

Try calling F&W. I bet they try and nail themfor keeping over 5 trout from a stocked lake. Or what about the province wide trout possession limit.
Any officer worth a Sh@t would. If I see it I know I will be.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSlam View Post
Try calling F&W. I bet they try and nail themfor keeping over 5 trout from a stocked lake. Or what about the province wide trout possession limit.
Any officer worth a Sh@t would. If I see it I know I will be.
Guess you haven't been paying attention.

Tiger Trout are not a named species under the Act (FEDERAL ACT BTW) so there is no season or catch limits on them.

The FEDERAL government is the one that has to change the FEDERAL law.

Put and take lake. Didn't have the regs in place and now we see what happens. Big screw up all around.

Seems a lot of posters keep blaming the Province and wants them to do something, but all they can do is ask the Feds to change the law. Sucks but that is the way it is.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Banned

Oh I have been watching this thread & this is people pleading ignorance. The law states 5 trout from a stocked pond. That's all it says. It doesn't say they have to be rainbows or sportfish for that matter, it states 5 trout.
I want to see what happens if F&W show up what their take on it actually is ,rather than just the AO court of public opinion.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:22 AM

Black nugget yesterday- Enjoyed my first tiger,and like I almost always do-released them. The fisheries tech. was there completing creel surveys. She said these were her project over the past while( they were moved from Calgary to Cold Lake where they grew to 10-12 inch size). Sadly she tells me they do not have a catch limit. I too am displeased with the lack of regulation and the attitude of "catch and keep" everything as witnessed at the lake. I hope there may some left to overwinter and be a nicer size next year.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Can someone tell me who sets the limits (particularly for trout) for the lakes in Alberta?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSlam View Post
Oh I have been watching this thread & this is people pleading ignorance. The law states 5 trout from a stocked pond. That's all it says. It doesn't say they have to be rainbows or sportfish for that matter, it states 5 trout.
I want to see what happens if F&W show up what their take on it actually is ,rather than just the AO court of public opinion.
They aren't listed as a game fish nor as a Alberta trout species as per the federal legislation. There is no limit as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Can someone tell me who sets the limits (particularly for trout) for the lakes in Alberta?

Thanks
From my understanding it is SRD via the Alberta Fishing Guide. The actual limits are not laid out in the fisheries regulations act but it does say the following.

Quote:
3. (1) If a close time, fishing quota or limit on the size or weight of fish is fixed in respect of an area under these Regulations, the Director may, by order, vary that close time, fishing quota or limit in respect of that area or any portion of it.
(2) If a close time, fishing quota or limit is varied under subsection (1), the Director shall give notice of the variation to the persons affected or likely to be affected by it, by one or more of the following methods:
(a) broadcasting the notice over a radio station that broadcasts in the area or vicinity of the area affected by the variation;
(b) communicating the notice by telephone to those persons;
(c) posting the notice in the area or in the vicinity of the area affected by the variation;
(d) having a fishery officer give oral notice of the variation to those persons;
(e) transmitting the notice via electronic means to those persons; or
(f) publishing the notice in
(i) a newspaper circulated in the vicinity of the area affected by the variation,
(ii) the Alberta Gazette,
(iii) the Guide to Sportfishing Regulations published on behalf of the Department, or
(iv) the Guide to Commercial Fishing Seasons published by the Department.
Which to the guy saying it is the feds fault it is not... SRD has the ability to control this situation. Just think back to this summer when they closed fishing due to warm temperatures.

If they don't feel they are legally able to change the quota simply because they are not a game species then they still have the ability to close these lakes to fishing and imo they should until they can get their federal issues taken care of(something that should have been done as soon as they decided to stock tigers...).
Old 11-09-2015, 12:41 PM

Has anyone actually seen people keeping tigers? Just curious.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Yes.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Yes.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Banned

Yes just not in excess...
Old 11-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:

And you have to realize that those people might be there as a result of being posted online(maybe even from here). 3664 views so far, just on here.

How expensive were they Rav? Do they cost more than RBT? Mistake(s) may have been made, but that happens sometimes! Maybe Alberta should just say no more new species.

Another point, are they expected to survive in the water bodies they were put in this year?

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 11-09-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:23 PM

Im betting they will get more to put in! So everyone just chill

Old 11-09-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
How expensive were they Rav? Do they cost more than RBT? Mistake(s) may have been made, but that happens sometimes! Maybe Alberta should just say no more new species.

Another point, are they expected to survive in the water bodies they were put in this year?
Yes they are more expensive then RBT... I don't know the exact numbers but I do know they are harder to raise and cost more for that reason alone.

Yes they are expected to survive in these lakes, they were initially planned to be stocked in a few more popular aerated lakes but then the aeration issue came up so they stocked them in these natural over winter lakes instead.

These fish were stocked with the intent of monitoring them for 2 years. There are no future stock planned at this point in time except for the 2000 that are still at the hatchery.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:33 PM

A couple comments .....

1) Federal jurisdiction, as far as I understand it, has nothing to do with catch/keep limits within a province pertaining to tidal or maritime waters. Alberta has neither, so I thought the feds had zero jurisdiction over provincial keep limits with the exception of federally listed (protected) species. That doesn't apply in this case either. I would think the "feds" have no say in any argument/policy/law let alone jurisdiction related to this thread.

2) I would think "logically" that a 5 trout possession limit out of stocked watersheds would apply to Tigers as they are, indeed, trout. Contrary to that, I think the regs. do state that if a fish is nor specifically listed it is classified as a non-game species and no limits apply. Prosecution of someone taking more than 5 Tigers could be problematic in our courts and likely wouldn't stand up. It's likely an oversight. Someone screwed up here. It's clear as mud.

3) The recent issue surrounding liability for winter aeration, and the fact that these watersheds will likely not be aerated leads me to believe all of the Tigers will likely die if the lake winter kills anyways.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:12 PM

People in white lab coats creating strains of trout. Not my thing. Each to their own I guess.