Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2015, 08:39 AM

Default tigers at B nugget

I was out at B nugget the other day...... wanted to see how the tigers are doing
I caught one took a pic an carefully released it.
I put my rod away an watched the couple of groups of people scattered around.
I was horrified by how these "Alberta sportsmen" where handling these fish!
First off most using treble hook lures they don't pinch the barbs and drag the fish in the gravel an dirt trying to get the hook out, almost every fish is bleeding horribly when throwing them back in.
And people hiding them in the weeds an grass for later pick up....
I spoke to a group of 6 who claimed they had caught over 150 so far an it was slow, they have been out from Sherwood park an this was the 8th day for them....
How sad people are.
F/W are aware but cant be there 24-7 and are hoping people fish with respect too.
I hope they close this pond very soon.........
I know there are a lot of people who care about our fishing and future but believe me a lot of people are rotten pigs.
sst
Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 AM

I was there and witnessed that. i suggested they use barbless hooks which they say they were. They were a nice bunch of kids and as there are no regulations pertaining to Tigers there was nothing illegal about what they did even if they killed every fish. I did suggest that they try not to remove the fish out of the water.

I know this body of water well and the odds of any fish making the winter is about about 20 per cent.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotom View Post
I was out at B nugget the other day...... wanted to see how the tigers are doing
I caught one took a pic an carefully released it.
I put my rod away an watched the couple of groups of people scattered around.
I was horrified by how these "Alberta sportsmen" where handling these fish!
First off most using treble hook lures they don't pinch the barbs and drag the fish in the gravel an dirt trying to get the hook out, almost every fish is bleeding horribly when throwing them back in.
And people hiding them in the weeds an grass for later pick up....
I spoke to a group of 6 who claimed they had caught over 150 so far an it was slow, they have been out from Sherwood park an this was the 8th day for them....
How sad people are.
F/W are aware but cant be there 24-7 and are hoping people fish with respect too. I hope they close this pond very soon.........
I know there are a lot of people who care about our fishing and future but believe me a lot of people are rotten pigs.
sst

Unfortunately this is the trending state of affairs in this province; bring in special regulations throughout the province as well as stocking special species that may need additional protection... and continue to gut the environmental protection agencies charged with making it all work!

It's sad but you can't introduce what some people perceive as restrictions on their rights & freedoms without increasing enforcement, & expect a fairy tale result.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM

Well I also know this water body very well also, I think I first fished in 1959 or 60 and lived near it for over 60 years.
This stocking was poorly planed and regulations were not in place prior to stocking an the reg changes are in the works.
These fish were introduced to clean the lake of introduced bait fish: various minnows, and remove the stocked rainbow trout.
It will then be restocked an closed for a few years an then opened as a trophy trout lake.
The county an the F/W weren't on the same page as far as protection of the tigers.
I hate seeing this lake changed but I also understand how more an more people want to be able to catch large trout.
Just for your information I have over the years caught many over 6 lbs a few over 8 lbs an the largest was 9lb-4oz, so Black nugget has a wonderful spot in my heart.
Many years ago I was part of a High school project to turn it from a local mine site to a public park area, and at times I wonder why, because of how the fish are so disrespected.
The opportunity to catch a see a tiger are not going to happen often an to watch people out there trying to catch a 100 a day an rip an tear them is a horrible thing to witness.
sst
Old 10-27-2015, 10:53 AM

Can you ice fish at Black Nugget?. Would be fun to take an over night trip up from Calgary this winter to at least catch one to say I caught one.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Well I also know this water body very well also, I think I first fished in 1959 or 60 and lived near it for over 60 years.
This stocking was poorly planed and regulations were not in place prior to stocking an the reg changes are in the works.
These fish were introduced to clean the lake of introduced bait fish: various minnows, and remove the stocked rainbow trout.
It will then be restocked an closed for a few years an then opened as a trophy trout lake.
The county an the F/W weren't on the same page as far as protection of the tigers.
I hate seeing this lake changed but I also understand how more an more people want to be able to catch large trout.
Just for your information I have over the years caught many over 6 lbs a few over 8 lbs an the largest was 9lb-4oz, so Black nugget has a wonderful spot in my heart.
Many years ago I was part of a High school project to turn it from a local mine site to a public park area, and at times I wonder why, because of how the fish are so disrespected.
The opportunity to catch a see a tiger are not going to happen often an to watch people out there trying to catch a 100 a day an rip an tear them is a horrible thing to witness.
sst
Thanks for your contribution and your insight. I just wanted to correct a couple of your comments .
You said "

All four of these statements are false. The pond will be stocked with Rainbows next year. It is not going to be a trophy lake and the county has nothing to do with fisheries put Tigers in there.
Enjoy it for what it is. Its a chance to catch a trout that most have never caught before and for the most part that's why the fish were put there.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:07 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Can someone post a picture of a tiger trout
Old 10-29-2015, 11:18 PM

Red belly is a male. Caught last week.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post

Man those are cool looking fish
Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Well McLeod, What I said earlier is in fact the reason for the Tigers in BNugget.
Just for the purpose of confirmation Please take the opportunity to call the County of Beaver at 780-663-3730 and ask to speak to Susan you can tell her you spoke to me an don't believe what I've said on this site.
Ask her what the purpose of the tigers in the pond, and how their working on regs now (probably not in effect until early spring), the reason for cleaning out the lake, and how it being a trophy lake in the future, etc. she is the contact for the county in this project.

The alternative to tigers was poisoning the lake which no one wants anymore but might be require if these tigers are destroyed...
And then respond here once again please.
tom
Old 10-30-2015, 06:13 PM

If what the County is telling us is false they are spending a lot of our tax $ making up **** at the council meeting an talking about what is being done.
Sitting in council meeting talking about the Tiger trout, an plan should not be on the agenda if they have nothing to do with it.
I also spoke to the provincial fish Biologist (Owen Watkins) about these tigers an due to area changes Black Nugget is in his area now.
He says yes their put in also for a test.
And claims there should have been a Zero limit put on them, an that is in the works for the spring regulations.
Due the fact that area changes have occurred he is unsure as to who was dealing with the county from F&W.
Possibly one of the bureaucrat's in the Dept. I would think.
I've spoken to 11 F&W dept. staff and got 9 different stories from them.
As you know due to the party change a couple of the appointed bureaucrats would not respond to the questions this week due to the fact their unsure if they are still employed, I think.
So I only state what I have been told, by who should be in the know.
I'm curious to know who has informed you differently?
tom
Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks to those are a nice looking trout
Old 10-31-2015, 12:23 AM

Sounds like Tom knows his sh!t well!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Sounds like Tom knows his sh!t well!
For sure! Thanks for posting where you got the information Tom.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:58 AM

Tiger trout are being evaluated as a means to provide diversified fishing opportunities, not "clean out" any waters. The County of Beaver is not the correct source of information about fisheries management. To get the facts, it's better to start here:
http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Sto...tStocking.aspx
Old 10-31-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Tiger trout are being evaluated as a means to provide diversified fishing opportunities, not "clean out" any waters. The County of Beaver is not the correct source of information about fisheries management. To get the facts, it's better to start here:
http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Sto...tStocking.aspx
Agreed. Clean out waters is rediculus. Why would they want to clean out baitfish/minnows?(feed for trout) and the rainbows don't breed and could be fished out fast by upping the limit to the lake.

Last edited by Talking moose; 10-31-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:39 AM

Default BN park

Yes, I've read that many times and have tried to contact the author Jim Wagner....I have emailed and phoned but have no response returned..
And the county will be in contact with F&W on Monday morning for clarification to what they have been told about the Park.
So we'll just have to see where the **** will settle.
But all agree there should be zero limit!!
like Antler1 said this province has such a ******ed up Government an employees
running our F&W its sad........with the bureaucrats the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.
Anyway Ill dig until I'm dead.........Because all the Bastards are spending out money. And don't care..
tom
Old 10-31-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've read that many times and have tried to contact the author Jim Wagner....I have emailed and phoned but have no response returned..
And the county will be in contact with F&W on Monday morning for clarification to what they have been told about the Park.
So we'll just have to see where the **** will settle.
But all agree there should be zero limit!!
like Antler1 said this province has such a ******ed up Government an employees
running our F&W its sad........with the bureaucrats the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.
Anyway Ill dig until I'm dead.........Because all the Bastards are spending out money. And don't care..
tom
Wow. Even when doing something like stocking tiger trout, which clearly is intended to benefit anglers, in consultation with anglers, there is still such criticism and vitriol from some. Unbelievable.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Wow. Even when doing something like stocking tiger trout, which clearly is intended to benefit anglers, in consultation with anglers, there is still such criticism and vitriol from some. Unbelievable.
Agree!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:30 AM

Default sorry for hurting your feeling

Well sir, if you see the rape an pillage of these fish by so called sportsmen an ask F&W and the County's Bylaw and legal reps to do something even the RCMP and all say there is nothing they can do!! Just p****** me off.....
This a golden opportunity for all in Alberta to enjoy a special fish I the future.
Some days several hundred are ripped apart dragged in the dirt an kick back in the water, other remove all they can and take home.
You would try to do nothing???????????????
And everywhere you go you get a different story......
You think its out of line to go after those who should be responsible?
These fish cost money to raise, and people responsible forgot to put limits in the regulations, prior to stocking, whos fault is that the "taxpayer" or the people getting paid to take care of our resource?
I personally don't care whos responsible for their protection but someone has to step up before these fish are history.
Maybe it better to sit back an say nothing because you might hurt someone's feeling.
sst
Old 10-31-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Agree!
Do it right or do it twice as the saying goes.

Problem here is we don't know if there will be a 2nd chance...
Old 10-31-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well sir, if you see the rape an pillage of these fish by so called sportsmen an ask F&W and the County's Bylaw and legal reps to do something even the RCMP and all say there is nothing they can do!! Just p****** me off.....
This a golden opportunity for all in Alberta to enjoy a special fish I the future.
Some days several hundred are ripped apart dragged in the dirt an kick back in the water, other remove all they can and take home.
These fish cost money to raise, and people responsible forgot to put limits in the regulations, prior to stocking, whos fault is that the "taxpayer" or the people getting paid to take care of our resource?
I personally don't care whos responsible for their protection but someone has to step up before these fish are history.
Maybe it better to sit back an say nothing because you might hurt someone's feeling.
sst
Seriously?

Old 10-31-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Do it right or do it twice as the saying goes.

Problem here is we don't know if there will be a 2nd chance...
Or dont do it at all.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:46 AM

They didn't forget to put regulations in place. Tiger trout are not included in the legislation that regulates fisheries. The federal government needs to make the amendment. This has been delayed by the election. In the meantime, the fish had to be removed from the hatchery, due to their size and space limitations. The choice was to kill the fish in the hatchery because the regs weren't in place, or stock them and request voluntary release until the regs could be amended. F&W made the right decision, as far as I'm concerned. They can't be criticized for issues with angler buy-in and behaviour.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
They didn't forget to put regulations in place. Tiger trout are not included in the legislation that regulates fisheries. The federal government needs to make the amendment. This has been delayed by the election. In the meantime, the fish had to be removed from the hatchery, due to their size and space limitations. The choice was to kill the fish in the hatchery because the regs weren't in place, or stock them and request voluntary release until the regs could be amended. F&W made the right decision, as far as I'm concerned. They can't be criticized for issues with angler buy-in and behaviour.
Once again agree.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
sst
They are a sterile hybrid. Introduced into lakes (ponds) only. So why a zero limit? The act in your op that disturbs me is the poaching. But they are stocked to be fished to an established limit/season. In my mind it's not meant to be an enduring fishery.......................it's like a box of chocolates. You eat them until they're gone........and then you buy some more. They aren't cutties or bull trout. They're knockoffs that can be mass produced any time we want them.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:55 PM

Default fish

Now that's a great analogy, "like a box of chocolates". Eat them an someone will buy more.
I guess that's the new theory for resource management. But now that you mention it, your probably right......
It's just that easy, I guess.
Thnx
sst
Old 10-31-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Tom..... This is the realistic scenario. All your answers are in this quote right here. Mission over. Lol. This quote reeks of probable truths!
Old 10-31-2015, 02:30 PM

Default Governt

This will be my last post on this issue an I have to reply to you Moose.
I agree with the statement you quoted but like I question the new Dept. Minister, as to who's responsible.
These fish weren't hatched by accident and they weren't hatched 6 months ago either. So why did the hatchery hatch them with no plan to release and why and who didn't do their job in the last 12 months more or less?
Someone had to know what was going to happen due to the fact there was a hatching plan in early 2014.
Did no one care about the fish and the cost until all of a sudden, OOh my god we have fish that are too big an have to go!!!!!! Oh God, we have no regulations, Oh now an election. Federally and Provincially.......Ahhhh, turn them lose, and "let the **** fall as far away from us as possible".
This in-fact is only one simple example of Government waste and lack of accountability.
F&W had 18 to 24 months to plan this event.
If everything is run like this, would any business, company, even personal affairs be successful? If so you'd see most cars on the side of the road because the operator forgot to get fuel.
I know many here don't care, and I know some that don't care because they never paid much for taxes an looked to the government for support, but that's not going to continue. Its time to change at least a few little things.
Any way what ever happens, happens cause "its like a box of chocolates".
Eat them all an the good ol Government will get you more.

All the Best an Bless the Tigers
Old 10-31-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Tom..... This is the realistic scenario. All your answers are in this quote right here. Mission over. Lol. This quote reeks of probable truths!
Shouldn't SRD have got the paperwork in place before they started raising the tiger trout knowing they would have to stock them in the fall?

And you can't blame the election lol. SRD has been unable to fix the "accidental" removal of barbless for how long now? How many months/years until Tiger Trout correctly gets added as a game fish species? Just soon enough for these ones to have died off with no future stocking planned? Wouldn't surprise me...