Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2015, 03:47 PM

Default Tiger Trout Stocking

The following lakes have been stocked with Tiger Trout. The stocking took place Oct 5 and I suspect that more will follow.
The source of my informations is :-http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports/documents/AlbertaFishStockingReport-Oct-23-2015.pdf
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 5,000 Triploids @ 254mm
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 6,408 Triploids @ 254mm

Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 4,897 Triploids @ 258mm
Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 3,032 Triploids @ 340mm

East Twin Lake Manning 1,000 Triploids @ 339mm
Cheers,
Neil
Old 10-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Banned

There is 1-2000 left to stock and after that no more will be being released. So please do not keep any.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
There is 1-2000 left to stock and after that no more will be being released. So please do not keep any.
why? are you hoping the triploids will find some magical and miraculous way to spawn or would winterkill be prefered?

3N are typically used in put/take fisheries or where native species need to be protected from genetic dilution/contamination.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
why? are you hoping the triploids will find some magical and miraculous way to spawn or would winterkill be prefered?

3N are typically used in put/take fisheries or where native species need to be protected from genetic dilution/contamination.
When I said they will not be stocking anymore I had assumed that was pretty clear as to why you should not keep them, I guess not.

Please do not keep any, they will not be stocking more so once they are gone they are gone for good.

Does this suffice EZM as a valid enough reason not to keep the fish?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsa313 View Post
The following lakes have been stocked with Tiger Trout. The stocking took place Oct 5 and I suspect that more will follow.
The source of my informations is :-http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports/documents/AlbertaFishStockingReport-Oct-23-2015.pdf
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 5,000 Triploids @ 254mm
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 6,408 Triploids @ 254mm

Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 4,897 Triploids @ 258mm
Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 3,032 Triploids @ 340mm

East Twin Lake Manning 1,000 Triploids @ 339mm
Cheers,
Neil
Any reason why these trout were not stocked all over Alberta...Particuliarly down South?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Any reason why these trout were not stocked all over Alberta...Particuliarly down South?
High mortality rate of the young and expensive to produce

http://afgmag.com/let-loose-the-tigers/
Old 10-25-2015, 08:02 PM

I thought they picked lakes that were likely to overwinter??
Old 10-25-2015, 08:06 PM

would be nice to be able to go next year and see some big ones.
X2 on please don't keep... Tiger trout are a treat to see here.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:

SRD is asking people to release them, at least until they can put proper regulations in place(not sure why they didn't get that in place first...).

Tiger trout cannot spawn, they are sterile... They are triploid so they grow faster and can hopefully provide us in Alberta with a fun colourful fish to catch.

I hope that people will respect these tiger trout and let them grow into what they can become. If all you need is a feed of fish there are tons of other water bodies and fish species to target, there is no reason to ruin the tiger trout fishery...
Old 10-25-2015, 11:32 PM

Let me know when they stock 3n taimen

But seriously it will be nice to have a variety that isn't potentially harmful. Some people have already caught them and said it was very easy (since they're so aggressive). I wonder it that will be their downfall; poached out within a season?
Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 AM

Tiger trout are not listed in the regs for the lakes they been stocked ..so that would make them illegal to keep I would think ..and at black nugget we caught rainbows that were easily older than this year's stock so I think it might last the winter
Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 AM

edit
Old 10-26-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
High mortality rate of the young and expensive to produce

http://afgmag.com/let-loose-the-tigers/
Are we talking about the Black Nugget Pond by Tofield? Not aware of any Black Nugget Pond by Thorsby. Isnt that a private lake where you must pay a day rate to fish it? Did the campground pay for the tiger trout to get stocked there or did we? Sounds like a huge load of BS to me, I'd keep every damn tiger trout I caught out of that dump.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Sounds like a huge load of BS to me, I'd keep every damn tiger trout I caught out of that dump.
This attitude is why we dont have better fishing in Alberta. The faster this province goeS C&R THE BETTER.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 AM

Putting everything else aside why would they not get the regulations ready before they stock the species into lakes?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 AM

Yes, Tofield not Thorsby
Neil
Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 AM

You do not have to pay to fish there. Tiger Trout are not yet on Alberta list of trout that can be placed under regulations as that has to be approved by the feds first but should be in the regs for next year. So for now you can keep as many as you want but why would you .they would taste like garbage as they are right out of the hatchery. They are easy to catch and fishing will stop very soon with the freeze up. Whiether they make it to next spring in the nugget we will see as most winters it winter kills what rainbows do make it to the winter. Everyone i saw yesterday was lettting them go !
Old 10-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Banned

I think if someone is claiming there are no regs on these fish it is playing ignorance.
The regs state 5 trout at most stocked trout ponds. It doesn't break them down to species at most(Birch as a example). I believe at the lakes these trout were put in the regs are listed for 5 trout and not 5 Rainbows. So if a guy is keeping more he is poaching. That being said people should be C&R fishing for these or we aren't going to have this opportunity in AB very long.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Are we talking about the Black Nugget Pond by Tofield? Not aware of any Black Nugget Pond by Thorsby. Isnt that a private lake where you must pay a day rate to fish it? Did the campground pay for the tiger trout to get stocked there or did we? Sounds like a huge load of BS to me, I'd keep every damn tiger trout I caught out of that dump.
You can pay to go there, nobody else did yesterday. Campground was closed so there were some gates blocking access but still plenty of parking by the lake.
And if it is such a dump please don't set foot anywhere near it.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:30 AM

Heads up on keeping them: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=269088
Old 10-26-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSlam View Post
I think if someone is claiming there are no regs on these fish it is playing ignorance.
The regs state 5 trout at most stocked trout ponds. It doesn't break them down to species at most(Birch as a example). I believe at the lakes these trout were put in the regs are listed for 5 trout and not 5 Rainbows. So if a guy is keeping more he is poaching. That being said people should be C&R fishing for these or we aren't going to have this opportunity in AB very long.
Hopefully no one is keeping any but again they are not a listed species of trout for the purpose of regulations just the same as carp in this province.
Lets leave it at that.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Banned

I think me and my friend were the only ones that left one of the lakes both days this weekend without several in a bag. This fishery will be amazing if it lasts.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:32 PM

They probably are not very good eating at this point anyhow; would a sign posted at these stocked locations asking people to catch and release until new regs are issued not be somewhat helpful? It would be such a shame to see this be so short lived. Lots of people were pretty excited about these tigers...
Old 10-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyandkim View Post
They probably are not very good eating at this point anyhow; would a sign posted at these stocked locations asking people to catch and release until new regs are issued not be somewhat helpful? It would be such a shame to see this be so short lived. Lots of people were pretty excited about these tigers...
Welcome to Alberta buddy, land of the take what you can and screw everyone else mentality. Can't wait for this province to go straight C&R!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
You can pay to go there, nobody else did yesterday. Campground was closed so there were some gates blocking access but still plenty of parking by the lake.
And if it is such a dump please don't set foot anywhere near it.
Lol, I don't go anywhere near it. And I wouldn't actually cross the street to fish for, or eat, tiger trout. But what you are telling me is that the fishing public of Alberta funded the stocking of a lake that access is privately owned, and must be purchased for much of the year (not sure whether jumping the gate is trespassing or not if the campground is closed, maybe you should not be setting foot there)? Or are you telling me that the campground is permanently closed and one no longer has to pay to fish in black nugget lake?

This is the source of my negativity right here, not whether one can or can not keep a trout I will never fish for. Just wondering how such a "unique" place as Black Nugget got chosen as one of two sights for the stocking of an exotic species.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
SRD is asking people to release them, at least until they can put proper regulations in place(not sure why they didn't get that in place first...).

Tiger trout cannot spawn, they are sterile... They are triploid so they grow faster and can hopefully provide us in Alberta with a fun colourful fish to catch.

I hope that people will respect these tiger trout and let them grow into what they can become. If all you need is a feed of fish there are tons of other water bodies and fish species to target, there is no reason to ruin the tiger trout fishery...
My comments were tongue and cheek - I realize 3N's can't spawn and the original intent, as originally communicated by the SRD was to use these fish in put/take fisheries.

My comments were about how disappointed joe meat fisherman might be to hear he shouldn't harvested them despite the fact it isn't illegal to do so.

They are obviously changing the plan, likely due to the newly discovered non aeration liability issue compounded by the fact the tigers were already ordered and purchased, ironically slated for different lakes (which now will be winter killed).

Really a commentary on the duality and complexity of mankind. (lol).

I just am shaking my head about how hard it must be to manage/balance/plan when so many issues and changing mandates evolving virtually as quickly as plans get implemented and underway only to change. A drunken merry-go-round.

Either way - you should know by now - I'm not a meat fisherman AND I have a sarcastic sense of humor.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Either way - you should know by now - I'm not a meat fisherman AND I have a sarcastic sense of humor.
I genuinely enjoy it.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Lol, I don't go anywhere near it. And I wouldn't actually cross the street to fish for, or eat, tiger trout. But what you are telling me is that the fishing public of Alberta funded the stocking of a lake that access is privately owned, and must be purchased for much of the year (not sure whether jumping the gate is trespassing or not if the campground is closed, maybe you should not be setting foot there)? Or are you telling me that the campground is permanently closed and one no longer has to pay to fish in black nugget lake?

This is the source of my negativity right here, not whether one can or can not keep a trout I will never fish for. Just wondering how such a "unique" place as Black Nugget got chosen as one of two sights for the stocking of an exotic species.
Plenty of parking. Some of the road around the lake was gated off. There were no signs telling you not to walk past the fence so I guess the choice is up to you. I did walk past the gate by the way.
I still don't know what your problem is.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I genuinely enjoy it.
Thanks ....

Now time for a tiger trout fish fry ..... the limit is 5

Just kidding !!!! I can only eat 3.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
Plenty of parking. Some of the road around the lake was gated off. There were no signs telling you not to walk past the fence so I guess the choice is up to you. I did walk past the gate by the way.
I still don't know what your problem is.
LOL, I don't have any of those signs on my yard either, why don't you try hopping my fence