Banned

Default Entire Bow River Watershed Infected With Whirling Disease

This really bites...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ease-1.3976875
Old 02-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Edit: I guess I should have put this in fishing... maybe mods want to move it?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:30 PM

IMO it is extremely likely that the watershed has been infected for a long time.

I don't know of any testing that was done in the Banff area at least, until the first lost trout was spotted in Johnston Lake.

The good news, if there is any, is that in locales in the US where the disease has been present for years, they are seeing rebounding populations that are resistant to the parasite/disease and get along ok.

I expect around 5 to 10 years of tightened fishing regulations to preserve existing populations, and then perhaps a rebound in populations and a return to "normal" keep limits.

Possibly the biggest impact will be felt in watercraft - I could see a potential watercraft ban on some unaffected rivers getting passed thru the legislature. I also think it is unlikely to work, and that all watersheds will eventually be affected.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 PM

This hurts me, I fish at the bow river a lot and catch lots of whitefish and trout. what will happen when they are all gone? My friend will lose his job. I hope this will be contained soon.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:46 PM

That's unfortunate news, however, it should come as no surprise after we learned Johnson Lake fish were infected with the disease, as it is within the Bow Valley (Bow River) watershed.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 PM

I get into a routine of washing my waders/wading boots and pontoon after fishing the bow, just en extra measure. The bow is a gem.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
IMO it is extremely likely that the watershed has been infected for a long time.

I don't know of any testing that was done in the Banff area at least, until the first lost trout was spotted in Johnston Lake.

The good news, if there is any, is that in locales in the US where the disease has been present for years, they are seeing rebounding populations that are resistant to the parasite/disease and get along ok.

I expect around 5 to 10 years of tightened fishing regulations to preserve existing populations, and then perhaps a rebound in populations and a return to "normal" keep limits.

Possibly the biggest impact will be felt in watercraft - I could see a potential watercraft ban on some unaffected rivers getting passed thru the legislature. I also think it is unlikely to work, and that all watersheds will eventually be affected.
That sounds like a best case scenario... I hope that's how it turns out. Hopefully other areas don't become affected.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 AM

Maybe it's time to start stocking some of these waters with yellow perch or pike, at least until the diseased trout-thing runs its course over the next decade or two, like it has in other areas in North America that were hit with whirling disease.

Or we can just watch the trout and whitefish die, and hang up our fishing rods for the next 10 or 20 years...
Old 02-12-2017, 02:27 AM

Also if you think you have that spot in the mountians all to your self think again! I could see a lot more people heading west if they cant go to the bow for a day of fun! I hope this will not happen and I also hope they can get a hold of this and not make it a 10 year deal.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:39 AM

I think its naïve to think and believe Whirling Disease is only contained to the Bow River Watershed. Its likely widespread throughout the province due to what we know about its ability and relative ease of spread/transfer etc. Hell, its been found in Provincial Hatcheries and likely already stocked throughout the province...It is not just infected watercraft and wading boots that spread the disease, it has also been shown that it can be spread by birds, animals, and so on. How do we know it hasn't been present here for many years? Maybe our populations have already seen the worst of it, and we are on the rebound already. We don't know. When Whirling Disease first presented its ugly head in the states 50 odd years ago, and more specifically its destruction in Montana in 1994 it is very possible due to our close vicinity we here in Alberta were infected then. Or close to that time. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again...I find it hard to believe a Parks Official in BNP just happened to stumble across a Whirling Diseased trout in Johnson Lake that happened to be JUST RECENTLY AFFECTED igniting the big province wide knee jerk reaction. We haven't tested for years, so its next to impossible to pinpoint a timeline. The point is its here. And here to stay. We don't know enough about its history here to start panicking. There is also a chance it will have slight to little effect on our trout populations. It sucks, no doubt about it, but maybe its not all doom and gloom. Stocking waters Province wide with warm water species like pike, perch and walleye isn't an option, and extremes like "lets all hang up our rods for the next 10 years" is a dramatic overstatement on something we have little control over at this point. Lets all take a deep breath, do our best to clean our gear to the best of our abilities in attempts to minimize risk, but all continue to enjoy the sport we love, trust that nature to work itself out and keep on fishin. Latest studies and research have also indicated there is no evidence the population has been affected thus far whatsoever. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 PM

Therefore a see no reason to drain Johnson lake.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM

It highly depends on when the Bows spawn. If they spawn while the disease is inactive and the fry can reach 2 inches or so, then they're in the clear. I've heard reports of the Bows in the Bow spawning year round, so there's hope.

They could also try to obtain some brood hens from the Bow and start stocking the Bow with fingerling size "wild" hatchery fish to maintain populations until naturally resistant members of the population can be left to breed.

More aggressively they could actually try to find genetically resistant trout from the Bow, breed them and then stock the genetically resistant fish into the Bow. Not sure that's realistic, but Colorado did a similar thing by stocking Hofer Bows into their watersheds. These are disease resistant trout from Germany. There are pros and cons with this approach. Check it out: http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/W...eParasite.aspx
Old 02-14-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
It highly depends on when the Bows spawn. If they spawn while the disease is inactive and the fry can reach 2 inches or so, then they're in the clear. I've heard reports of the Bows in the Bow spawning year round, so there's hope.

They could also try to obtain some brood hens from the Bow and start stocking the Bow with fingerling size "wild" hatchery fish to maintain populations until naturally resistant members of the population can be left to breed.

More aggressively they could actually try to find genetically resistant trout from the Bow, breed them and then stock the genetically resistant fish into the Bow. Not sure that's realistic, but Colorado did a similar thing by stocking Hofer Bows into their watersheds. These are disease resistant trout from Germany. There are pros and cons with this approach. Check it out: http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/W...eParasite.aspx
Most of the trout in the bow are not native...they have been imported and are extremely resilient. Here's hoping this keeps up and people handle the fish with care!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Most of the trout in the bow are not native...they have been imported and are extremely resilient. Here's hoping this keeps up and people handle the fish with care!
That's right. I believe they are McCloud river strain, apparently they are basically steelhead stock and the reason why they fight so damn hard. Not sure how resilient they would be to whirling, but definitely let's hope they pull through and the province comes up with a sound management strategy other than just containment. That's not a plan IMO.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
That's right. I believe they are McCloud river strain, apparently they are basically steelhead stock and the reason why they fight so damn hard. Not sure how resilient they would be to whirling, but definitely let's hope they pull through and the province comes up with a sound management strategy other than just containment. That's not a plan IMO.
Totally agree...honestly...containment is already out the window IMO.

Here's an interesting read I found last year...also note that the water temp is so cold right now I think the effects of whirling disease would be severely low in the winter months. Which would allow time for many fish to hatch and grow.

http://www.montana.edu/news/7221/whi...ontana-s-trout
Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Here's another good article:

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/ar...ingdisease.htm

One thing I do know is the trout limit in the bow should be ZERO. The bow river should not be harvested at all. Mortality rates are bad enough as it is!