Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Default 'It is clear that Canada's excessive firearms control system has failed again.'- Canada's National Firearms Association

A national gun group attacked Canada’s firearms laws in the wake of the deadly shooting in Moncton N.B., calling them excessive and unable to stop “bad people from carrying out their evil deeds.”

Canada’s National Firearms Association released its public statement on Thursday, one day after three Mounties were shot and killed and two more were wounded. The NFA expressed its condolences to the families and friends of those killed, and criticized the alleged shooter, 24-year-old Justin Bourque.

“The NFA deplores the terrible actions by a clearly deranged individual that led to these deaths and injuries,” the group said.

“Incidents like these demonstrate the validity of the mounting evidence that none of Canada's firearms control efforts over the past 50 years have had any effect on preventing violence, or otherwise stopping bad people from carrying out their evil deeds,” the statement said.

It remains unclear what firearms and ammunition Bourque may have used in the attack. Images show Bourque, dressed in camouflage clothing, carrying at least two long guns.

Based on posts on what appears to be his Facebook page, Bourque promoted the use of guns and often shared images with slogans including “Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms.”

The NFA did not focus on Bourque or his background.

“It is clear that Canada's excessive firearms control system has failed again,” the NFA statement said.

The gun group says money spent on gun control would be better used in the health care system.

Meanwhile, Worlds End Warehouse, a gun store in Moncton, put out a statement on Facebook, expressing its condolences and distancing itself from the alleged shooter.

“To prevent pointless media speculation we can confirm that the suspect in this case whilst known personally by employees of our store, was never a customer and never purchased firearms or ammunition from us,” reads the statement.

“We wish the RCMP the best in apprehending the suspect as soon as possible.”

The shop says it promotes the use of firearms for recreational hunting, target shooting and law enforcement.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2666548

I support the NFA
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM

i dont buy it
Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 PM

They are right, not so sure on the timing though. Our last mass murder wasn't commited with firearms, but mental illness was definitely a part of it, too.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
They are right, not so sure on the timing though. Our last mass murder wasn't commited with firearms, but mental illness was definitely a part of it, too.
HB:

That is a good point.

The NFA suddenly became proactive instead of reactive waiting to be vilified by the liberal media.

The RCMP will not like that. Any action by them using Bill 68 to punish law abiding gun owners in the future will come under political scrutiny if they use this case.

Let us sit back and watch. The media surely is. This cop killer might already be in Vermont.

If the RCMP fail, I hope they don't pull out another Cheeseman to kick around.

I like the proactive approach by the NFA.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Not the time to be making political statements. This one could come back to bite us in the ass, cause of the weapon he was using.

Grizz
Old 06-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not the time to be making political statements. This one could come back to bite us in the ass, cause of the weapon he was using.

Grizz
Watching the news today, the anti gun groups, some politicians, and the media, have already turned this into a political opportunity. Some people, were already using this situation as an excuse to call for more firearms restrictions, and the return of the long gun registry.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Wow, the NFA has absolutely no clue.

“It is clear that Canada's excessive firearms control system has failed again,” the NFA statement said.

Really? Is that what the NFA would have the average Canadian, non-gun owning citizen believe? Canadian guns laws are too excessive? And the control system's "failure" led to the deaths of three mounties? Really?

Well done, NFA.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
Wow, the NFA has absolutely no clue.

Really? Is that what the NFA would have the average Canadian, non-gun owning citizen believe? Canadian guns laws are too excessive? And the control system's "failure" led to the deaths of three mounties? Really?

Well done, NFA.
My interpretation is that they meant that despite some of it's excessive regulations and restrictions, C-68 failed to prevent this tragedy.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My interpretation is that they meant that despite some of it's excessive regulations and restrictions, C-68 failed to prevent this tragedy.
Gun control, no gun control this still would have happened.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Again, to the average, non-gun owning Canadian citizen, when three mounties are gunned down by some little Mall Ninja, wannabe "free man," do our gun laws seem too "excessive?"

The NFA is it's own worst enemy.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Again, to the average, non-gun owning Canadian citizen, when three mounties are gunned down by some little Mall Ninja, wannabe "free man," do our gun laws seem too "excessive?"

The NFA is it's own worst enemy.
And what should the NFA have done? Sit back and take a licking from the media like it has time after time after time. And sit like a gutless sheep dog?

The grief industry has a lot of money to make over this tragedy. If there is going to be more firearms bans in Canada, why wait for them? Get the voters mad by calling them criminals right now. Why wait?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
And what should the NFA done? Sit back and take a licking from the media like it has time after time after time.
That is what led to C-68, in the first place.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 PM

Default I think he has been taken alive!

This is a good thing, in my mind at least. Now we can look at the criminal and not just the means.

But like it or not, there will be repercussions.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
And what should the NFA have done? Sit back and take a licking from the media like it has time after time after time. And sit like a gutless sheep dog?

The grief industry has a lot of money to make over this tragedy. If there is going to be more firearms bans in Canada, why wait for them? Get the voters mad by calling them criminals right now. Why wait?
The NFA could have done itself a favour and said nothing.

Yeah, the whole a "good offense is the best defense" against the media argument really doesn't have much weight when there's three dead mounties.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
HB:

That is a good point.

The NFA suddenly became proactive instead of reactive waiting to be vilified by the liberal media.

The RCMP will not like that. Any action by them using Bill 68 to punish law abiding gun owners in the future will come under political scrutiny if they use this case.

Let us sit back and watch. The media surely is. This cop killer might already be in Vermont.

If the RCMP fail, I hope they don't pull out another Cheeseman to kick around.

I like the proactive approach by the NFA.
Agree 100%
Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 PM

This whole shooting incident is sickening, but what really disgust me just as much is that there are 6700 deaths a year in Canada related directly to the abuse of alcohol. That's 558 people a month dead, and yet anyone who wants to can walk in off the street and buy as much as they want at anytime with no licence or background check, just as long as you have the money. Can you imagine what the goverment would do if 558 canadians were shot to death each month by firearms abuse? I can't, and yet the unchecked abuse of booze goes on daily with little to no coverage from the press or polticians. I'm not picking on booze here just trying to put things into perspective. Wait and see the fallout that comes down on lawful gun owners after all this is over. (I hope I'm wrong), but in a situation like this all I know is we as gun owners have to support each other and those organizations representing us as best we can.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Banned

The gun laws can only work if every thing else does.
That law needs the other programs to work and for people to be honest.
It is a health care fail that nuts are not identify'd.
The gun law systom uses information that others provide.
It can not do it all.

I bet that when this hapens the people that spoke for these guys and said they were Ok wish that they had been more honest
Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 AM

This sums it up fairly succinctly in my mind.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:03 AM

Horrible timing to be coming out with a "told ya so" gun control doesn't work statement.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:06 AM

I was very happy to hear the nut case was taken into custody. Perhaps a better discussion at this time would be capital punishment, not gun control!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeoutside View Post
I was very happy to hear the nut case was taken into custody. Perhaps a better discussion at this time would be capital punishment, not gun control!
It certainly would be a more appropriate topic, but the politicians and gun control advocates will take this opportunity to push their anti firearm agendas.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
It certainly would be a more appropriate topic, but the politicians and gun control advocates will take this opportunity to push their anti firearm agendas.
Unfortunately that is likely true!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 AM

Were the guns legally owned? If they weren't the NFA should be on the offence. Will be interesting to see what becomes of this.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Were the guns legally owned? If they weren't the NFA should be on the offence. Will be interesting to see what becomes of this.
I would bet on more gun control restrictions, and regulations, resulting from this. The gun control advocates will not waste this opportunity, and the Liberal and NDP parties will exploit this as well. Just listen to the news, it's already happening.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 AM

If the people that watched this thing play out were armed maybe they could have stopped him before he shot 5 people, no matter what the outcome it will be bad for responsible firearm owners. At least he surrendered, I don't think he police would have caught him for awhile if he wasn't cold and wet.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM

Gun control groups agree with the NFA that our current system doesn't work. They just have different views of how to fix it.

Isn't it interesting and ironic that some dude that seemed so passionate about gun rights may do as much or more damage to the cause as anyone else in Canadian history short of Marc Lepine. Thanks idiot.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
The NFA could have done itself a favour and said nothing.

Yeah, the whole a "good offense is the best defense" against the media argument really doesn't have much weight when there's three dead mounties.
I stopped reading this thread when I read ^ this. My sentiment exactly. If the NFA was approached for a comment (and I got the sense they hadn't yet) it should have responded that it's wrong to have that sort of discussion at this time. Media focus should be on tracking-down the perpetrator, and our thoughts are with the families, friends, and colleagues of the fallen officers. The "best defense is a good offense" idea doesn't apply when the situation is still unfolding. Maybe not at all where there is a loss of life. Regardless, the comment's timing struck me as being VERY "off".
Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM

Whether or not the gun restrictions currently in place failed (they did) is a point which is meaningless to most people. Some will call for more restrictions because that is the way they lean. Others will trumpet the need for fewer restrictions because that is the way THEY lean. Few people will want to admit to the need to identify the real cause for what is truly sociopathic action.
It has been over the last twenty years or so that we have seen such an increase in the numbers of the "Tommy Tactical" crowd. I have often wondered why it is that these individuals, instead of dressing up and playing make believe, don't trot on down to the local recruitment office and give the real thing a try. Now, I don't say that all of the wannabe's are potential mass murderers but it seems like a factor.
I seldom agree with the NFA and their actions but the anti-gunners have no problem with politicizing every event so I can understand the NFA's reasoning.
Leeper
Old 06-06-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i dont buy it
I dont buy it either...
Just as I do not buy that Calgary is a hotbed for jihadists.
There will always be someone justifying their agenda.
RIP the Fallen Three in Moncton,
Rob
Old 06-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
Whether or not the gun restrictions currently in place failed (they did) is a point which is meaningless to most people. Some will call for more restrictions because that is the way they lean. Others will trumpet the need for fewer restrictions because that is the way THEY lean. Few people will want to admit to the need to identify the real cause for what is truly sociopathic action.
It has been over the last twenty years or so that we have seen such an increase in the numbers of the "Tommy Tactical" crowd. I have often wondered why it is that these individuals, instead of dressing up and playing make believe, don't trot on down to the local recruitment office and give the real thing a try. Now, I don't say that all of the wannabe's are potential mass murderers but it seems like a factor.
I seldom agree with the NFA and their actions but the anti-gunners have no problem with politicizing every event so I can understand the NFA's reasoning.
Leeper
The "Tommy Tacticals" as you so succinctly put it would not pass the psychological testing required to try the real thing.