Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Default They said there are none in Alberta

Last year I mentioned that I had shot a bull moose with a 64 inch spread.
I was told that there are no Moose that big in Alberta.

Well here is one.

Actually he measured 66 inches when he was shot.

This one was shot by my friend just a few miles from where I shot my big Moose and on the same year. I had forgotten about it till today.
But when I and another AO member stopped by to visit my friend today he reminded me of that year by asking about my Moose. We had compared the two Moose and he remembered that.

I would have left it there but when I mentioned my Moose last year several members of this site ridiculed me, made extremely nasty remarks and bullied me into retracting my claim. They said, very loudly and very angrily that there were no Moose that big in this Province and that I knew nothing about Moose or Moose hunting. To avoid having the abuse escalate I gave them what they wanted and what I knew was not true. I said I was mistaken.

I thought it would end there and from my part it would have but they wouldn't let it go. Just this past month one of those members threw it back in my face.

Well I was not wrong and here is the proof. I know they will claim that this Moose was shot in some far off place, and for certain they won't have the stones to apologize to me. But now the rest of you know the rest of the TRUTH.

See it's no longer their word against mine. It's their word against this photo and my fellow AO members word.

I also have more proof then just this but I will keep that just in case.

So now I present a challenge. Go ahead guys, say you never called me a lair here in front of everyone. Remember those magic buttons the mods are always talking about. They allow us to see and find things you can not see.

I can bring back every last word of that thread.

It's time to put an end to the underhanded bullying that goes on on this site.
Now I have what I need to do that if you have the stones to step up and admit who you are.

Or do we let this whole thing die once and for all. With the truth out there?

Last edited by KegRiver; 12-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 AM

Doing a little drinking tonight?? Haha That post had some serious anger buried deep inside, almost a little 'passive/aggressive' going on there!

Thats a hell of a bull no doubt! It has to be to be able to hold the shanty-town of hides, snowshoes, etc hanging from it! Haha There are some giants taken in Alberta every year. I know of a couple 60" bulls in the last few years in Alberta.

On another note, if you let people from the internet 'bully you' or make you retract a claim to 'avoid abuse', etc, etc....your taking it WAY too seriously! Smile dude....its the internet!

Last edited by Rackmastr; 12-27-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
On another note, if you let people from the internet 'bully you' or make you retract a claim to 'avoid abuse', etc, etc....your taking it WAY too seriously! Smile dude....its the internet!

Wrong.

If you stand by and let a fellow hunter be treated that way, by anyone, you are no gentleman and you don't belong on this site.

United we stand, divided we fall. One is either for us or against us. It can not work both ways.

I swear, sometimes it's hard to tell who is a hunter and who is an anti hunter.

You may think that sort of behaviour a joke. I don't.

It is not the way a sportsman or any kind of man conducts himself.

It's the behaviour of a school yard bully. To suggest that we should accept it because this is the internet is supporting the anti hunting side, intentionally or not.

It's no different then watching a thief steel another mans belongings and saying nothing. Because it to be expected. After all, it's just normal behaviour in the city/country/bar/you pick the place.

A thief is a thief and a bully is a bully, no matter where he or she chooses to attack.

Have a look around. People are afraid to post because of this very thing.
Some very good members have left because of this very thing.

Endless threads have been derailed, endless arguments have been triggered, because of this very thing.

I say again. This is no joke. This is not just about me, this is effecting everyone on this site, except the abusers.

We stand together against this disease or we fall one at a time.

Do you care enough about hunting to fight for it? Then stand with us and make this a place where all real outdoorsman can feel safe, from beginners to weathered veterans, from the trophy hunters to the fisherman in tin boats, from the moms trying to raise a kid to love the outdoors to the oldtimes who can no longer get out there and enjoy this great resource.

If you believe that hunting deserves to survive then let us show the anti hunting crowd that we are not like them. We respect each other, we respect the best and the least among us, we even respect the people who stand against us and we do not tolerate bullying.

Bullying is the #1 tool of the anti crowd.

Are we no better then them, yes or no?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 AM

Sorry that you had to go through that, keg. Glad you have your proof and that hopefully this will shut some people up.

That's a lot of moose!

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 AM

Wow, you tell em' keg! It's about time someone voiced way everyone is thinking!! Good on ya man!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 AM

Know what you mean Keg.
It's why I do not/will not post pics/info on fishing etc.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM

When SRD conducts winter aerial surveys for Moose, if early enough and the moose are still carrying their antlers, they do from time to time observe and take pics of moose that definately go over 60". I have seen the pics.
One thing to watch out for though, a moose with relatively small palms can still go over 60" if one or two points on each side reach out well beyond the palm
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Default moose

You've got class Keg . Thats something you cant buy.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Good on you for standing up for yourself. Too many on the internet act differently than they would face to face. It must be that the anonymity of a keyboard lets out the dark side in some people. They think there are no repercussions no matter how rude and insulting they get. I won't type and post anything I wouldnt say to a mans face. Keep it up.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Is that your moose in the pic or your friends? Why didn't you post a picture last year so everyone could eat crow? Nice bull!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 AM

to many hunters on here are just jalous and also dont beleive unless they see it.i dont call them hunters i called them ***hole only them are better and see it all.they should be happy for others not bullying them,congrats on that nice Bull Keg
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Good on you for standing up for yourself. Too many on the internet act differently than they would face to face. It must be that the anonymity of a keyboard lets out the dark side in some people. They think there are no repercussions no matter how rude and insulting they get. I won't type and post anything I wouldnt say to a mans face. Keep it up.
X2.. couldn't have said it better myself .. The negative B.S. on here has escalated terribly . Seems we have to ask certain individuals here about what we can have for an opinion . Good Post Keg , Keep up the good work .
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM

Keg, anyone who says there are no moose over 60" in Alberta is full of horse feathers! In my life I have seen 2, 1 that I that I would guess between 60"-66"(it was 50 yards from me), but I let it walk away because it was on land I had no permission on. The second I helped a friend drag out of the bush around 18 years ago that was 62".
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Weird thread, but I also don't remember the drama and accusations that you're refering to. Must have missed that one. But you are correct, anyone who calims that there are no 60" moose in Alberta is very wrong.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Well no wonder you shot him! He had snowshoes, a fox and various other animals hanging off his antlers... Would make even the craftiest moose a target

I never doubted you but thanks for sharing the picture! But I gotta say... VHS tapes? Really??
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Well no wonder you shot him! He had snowshoes, a fox and various other animals hanging off his antlers... Would make even the craftiest moose a target

I never doubted you but thanks for sharing the picture! But I gotta say... VHS tapes? Really??
X2 probably wouldn't have made the winter either with all that stuff hanging off him.

On a more serious note good on you Keg. The last while I have seriously thought about leaving this site because of all the BS but I keep coming back in hopes that it will get cleaned up. It really angers me that we lost a few good meembers here lately and the s#$% disturbers are still around.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 AM

I can totally see where you are coming from Keg...alot of this site is how people deal with other people. If folks would take a step back and follow the old "treat people how you want to be treated" rather than the "eye for eye" method....things would go better around here.

Some people have a lot of history with others on here....sometimes there is some bad blood. Instead of taking it to PM's it gets aired out in the open and it serves no purpose but to have other onlookers pick sides and start in on the conversation....

Some folks are pretty harsh in their assumptions, harsh in their assertions...or just overly harsh.

There are alot of different personalities here...some guys know each other and some don't.

Some guys like to joke around meaning no harm.

Some guys like to cut to the bone where it hurts.

Some guys are crafty in telling someone to ---- --- without actually saying it but the message is the same.

Some folks are just plain misunderstood...

I agree though there are alot of folks who no longer frequent this site, lots who have given up, there are some who fall in the harsh category but also have alot to contribute....

I would like to think there are some who honestly don't think they are being bullies...

There are some who KNOW they are being bullies and those are the ones who should reflect on how they treat others.

Everyone approaches each situation differently...some folks are misunderstood or situations are misconstrued...no easy answer when there is a completely open forum.

I know I have been a bit harsh on a few folks during my time here, and I honestly feel bad and I am truly sorry if I made anyone feel uncomfortable. Picking my battles and holding my tongue is a couple things I am working on ...no one is perfect!

There are also some here that seem to be treated a touch differently than most other folks too....some favoritism is in play for sure.

I have been accused of doing things from some of those people that I never did....that too is a form of bullying. I have gotten a warning and they do not because I get told to lay off and they get a free pass to continue.

Part of the cure to bullying is to stick up against it...and outing the bully, but if there is censorship....how can one acheive that?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-27-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Seen 2 that are a honest 55" this fall.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 AM

No Grizzly bears in Alberta either. Just gotta look in the right places.

Grizz
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Haha oh Keg....it was 3AM, a guys gotta lighten up and enjoy life a bit is all I'm saying!! No reason for long winded rants, blaming abuse, bullies and anti hunters. A guy just needs to enjoy stuff and let the other stuff brush off your back. We've all been involved in arguments including yourself calling out a member or two in the past. That's all I'm sayin...lighten up, smile, and post pics of big stinkin moose!!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM

There out there wish i could find one
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Haha oh Keg....it was 3AM, a guys gotta lighten up and enjoy life a bit is all I'm saying!! No reason for long winded rants, blaming abuse, bullies and anti hunters. A guy just needs to enjoy stuff and let the other stuff brush off your back. We've all been involved in arguments including yourself calling out a member or two in the past. That's all I'm sayin...lighten up, smile, and post pics of big stinkin moose!!
It's seems some people don't take bullying seriously, but think what it has done to some of our young lately, Iam just sayin.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
It's seems some people don't take bullying seriously, but think what it has done to some of our young lately, Iam just sayin.
Bahaha...oh I take bullying quite seriously. I'm also not ignorant enough to compare bullying to two adults arguing on the Internet. Keg is equally as guilty for arguing or slagging on this site, we all just need to let things roll of our backs a bit better is what I'm saying.

Pretty ignorant to compare the two IMO...
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM

I didn't read the thread where people called you a lair and so on but it kind of shocks me that people can't believe there are 60" plus moose in Alberta. I am pretty sure one was posted on here last year and I know of one shot either the year before or two years ago. I have also seen pictures of live bulls in huntable areas (that people hunt and say there are no moose in) that are nipping at the heals of some of those big, slobberin' Yukon bulls. They are out there I believe that.

On another note, why is a Mod starting a thread that will no doubt be a pee'in match?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Bahaha...oh I take bullying quite seriously. I'm also not ignorant enough to compare bullying to two adults arguing on the Internet. Keg is equally as guilty for arguing or slagging on this site, we all just need to let things roll of our backs a bit better is what I'm saying.

I agree with some of what your saying, but you just said one thing did another, why didn't you let my comment sled off your back then?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I think about the bullying in the press these days and can we honestly say it is any worse than when we were kids? There has always been bullies and there has always been ways to deal with them. When I was in jr high/high school the way to deal with them was to stand up to them. 9/10 they'd back down anyway but that 1/10 if you gave as good as you got they'd never bother you again.

As for here it's a culture thing. Even certain Mods are guilty of bullying people for little or no cause. As for taking it to the mods the two times I've brought an issue to their attention I have received *zero* contact from them. I'm not sure it would solve anything.

The only way to improve this board is if we improve ourselves. Less hostility, more openess to accomodate other points of views. It is what we make it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Post up the original thread.... I don't recall a thread like that, but I would interested to read it, and see is it about bullying or just another argument.....I'm going to assume it's just a couple of guys arguing, I agree with Rack here.

This is a strange thread for sure.

As far as 60 inch moose, there 3 posted on here last year. I was lucky to be in, on one of those hunts.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I agree with some of what your saying, but you just said one thing did another, why didn't you let my comment sled off your back then?
I did. You won't see me posting about it in a year. I just responded, had a chuckle, got called a bully via text with 2 friends who laughed, and that's that. Letting things slide off your back doesn't mean not posting. It just means not to take the Internet too seriously...lol

Should I feel bullied by your post?? Hahaha
Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Yes, they are out there!! I've seen a couple myself - one just north of Whitecourt and one along the Athabasca just this year!
Closed Thread