Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Kinda like you're hopelessly attempting to morph yourself as another with your avatar? Let it go, you'll never have the come up kin's to match Huntinstuff, as hard as you may try/
Where is your bench? I'd love to see it.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Where is your bench? I'd love to see it.

Sure. Why don't I gave you my directions to my place in an email and you can come and see for yourself? Pics? you'd just wear out your palm.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Sure. Why don't I gave you my directions to my place in an email and you can come and see for yourself? Pics? you'd just wear out your palm.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Kinda like you're hopelessly attempting to morph yourself as another with your avatar? Let it go, you'll never have the come up kin's to match Huntinstuff, as hard as you may try/
I've been using this avatar for a long time. Same goes for Huntinstuff, I'm sure. There's lots of J.W. fans.

Relax. I remember when I had my first beer. It'll pass.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Default time & motion

Mine's 3' wide & 2'-6" deep, so very very small - sorry no pic. I always work it from a chair. It is more of a top than a bench, has a window next to it, plus overhead lighting. It rocks but cost me nothing as you will soon see.

The top is 1 layer of clean 3/4 ply scrap, one half of which is screwed onto one end of an old low Sally Ann dresser. The gun cabinet sits on the dresser's other end, which weighs it down. The other half piece of ply spans from the dresser to a ledger fastened to another piece of heavy furniture. This last piece of ply drops in and is removable to give me access to the gun cabinet & beyond.

Anyhow, my 'bench' is strong where needed and lightweight elsewhere, plus I can still access the dresser drawers. And there's lots of legroom.

What makes this simple & cheap setup work is that everything (scale, dribbler, dispenser, blocks, bullet bin, bag of brass, single stage press) is within reach as I sit in one place. No need to move my body or my chair which is efficient for me.

time & motion:

- The 505 scale sits on a small portable ply shelf unit (17"w, 9"deep, 12"h), so it is at eye level & always in the optimum spot; the dribbler is on this shelf as well, within easy reach. This unit has a lower shelf for small handtools. I noticed some of you guys also have your scale at eye level.

-You might be surprised to know that my pow dispenser is bolted 9" back and slightly left of the press (centre to centre). The dispenser's handle and the press lever are close yet because the disp is back from the bench edge they don't get in each other's way.

- the trimmer is kept in a drawer, and screwed to the top when in use. Since this is not an everyday tool it goes back to the drawer.

-Basically, when seated, all is within my grasp, kinda like in a semi-circle.
It's all short motions.

Last edited by twofifty; 01-07-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM

Sounds good, twofifty. Maybe you'll risk the wrath of the Benchrest Police and post a picture?

My first bench was based on an old, heavy office desk with a thick top. Worked good and it was cheap and had drawers.

I'm always on the lookout for a good idea I can steal....
Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM

Not too worried about the looks at this point. I was only too happy to squeeze this setup into my limited space and find it easy to reload from.

First I had to get away from the whole complex bench plans mindset (which I was naturally inclined to do & would look sweet but there's just no room) and then decide exactly how best to get reloading tasks done efficiently.

So the lack of space and $ triggered the time & motion approach. Mocking up different heights, distances and tool locations helped a lot, as did a hefty dose of "gettin' by" and "making do". In spite of all that, my cheap simple setup rocks.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Not too worried about the looks at this point. I was only too happy to squeeze this setup into my limited space and find it easy to reload from.

First I had to get away from the whole complex bench plans mindset (which I was naturally inclined to do & would look sweet but there's just no room) and then decide exactly how best to get reloading tasks done efficiently.

So the lack of space and $ triggered the time & motion approach. Mocking up different heights, distances and tool locations helped a lot, as did a hefty dose of "gettin' by" and "making do". In spite of all that, my cheap simple setup rocks.
But the beer fridge is too far away bud!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
But the beer fridge is too far away bud!

Beer fridge just to the right.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM

I see you cleaned yours up before you took a picture. Cheater!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I see you cleaned yours up before you took a picture. Cheater!
The individual posters that decided to jump all over my picture were waiting for the opportunity to take a cheap shot at me in particular. One of them has already had a post of his removed by a moderator for doing so, and obviously, he is still bitter. Leo could have posted my picture as his own, and neither of the two would have even noticed anything to complain about.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The individual posters that decided to jump all over my picture were waiting for the opportunity to take a cheap shot at me in particular. One of them has already had a post of his removed by a moderator for doing so, and obviously, he is still bitter. Leo could have posted my picture as his own, and neither of the two would have even noticed anything to complain about.
Watch that bottom lip. If you stick it out any further, a bird may poop on it!

R.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Watch that bottom lip. If you stick it out any further, a bird may poop on it!
And you would be the expert on that topic.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM

EH11, don't let the cheap shot artists get you down. To many people on here, you are an unselfish, knowledgable person who will share experiences and information and have helped out many an individual, myself included. Posting a picture on this forum is like exposing your private parts, some will laugh and others will go WOW! happy Sunday to all.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
And you would be the expert on that topic.
I'm not the one whining about my treatment, nor, am I the one running to mods to get posts deleated. Again, you really seem to struggle keeping your information accurate, and true.

R.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one whining about my treatment,
I am not whining about my treatment, just stating a fact.

Quote:
nor, am I the one running to mods to get posts deleated.
Just because a post containing a personal attack on me gets deleted, does not mean that I asked a moderator to delete it.

Quote:
Again, you really seem to struggle keeping your information accurate, and true.
So does Starrett make a vernier micrometer that measures to .0001", even though you posted that they didn't?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Banned

You would think an electrician would at least have a lamp and some plug-ins, guess that’s extra effort!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You would think an electrician would at least have a lamp and some plug-ins, guess that’s extra effort!
Look carefully at the press, and you will see the black upright arms of the articulated lamp right behind it. You can even see the springs on the arms if you look closely. As for the plug ins, the surge suppressor that my scale and lamp are plugged into is right behind the bench, hidden by the boxes of bullets.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am not whining about my treatment, just stating a fact.

Just because a post containing a personal attack on me gets deleted, does not mean that I asked a moderator to delete it.

So does Starrett make a vernier micrometer that measures to .0001", even though you posted that they didn't?
The fact that you stated it, is whining about it.

Sure it doesn't.

You did not clearly state it was a vernier micrometer, again, we covered this. You never did answer ANY of my questions regarding the measurement of case heads regarding temperature, accuracy, and the difference between expansion into the chamber, and pressure.
The fact that you think a number like .0003, or whatever it was, is showing you pressure signs says much about your vast "knowledge".
Now, to get back on track, the equipment shown on your bench is simply not capable of providing you with the level of accuracy you claim to achieve from your rilfes. I found it hard to believe when I first saw it, that this is the apparatus you use to get all of these wonderous results. Again, this speaks volumes regarding your vast "knowledge" to anyone that has half a clue as to what they are listening to.

R.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Look carefully at the press, and you will see the black upright arms of the articulated lamp right behind it. You can even see the springs on the arms if you look closely. As for the plug ins, the surge suppressor that my scale and lamp are plugged into is right behind the bench, hidden by the boxes of bullets.
I stand corrected you credibility has been restored in my books……
Old 01-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Come on guys quit bickering and get this thread back on track.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Maybe someone has some neat storage or other ideas they could share.
I use a big three tray Plano tackle box to store nick nacks ( dies and loading components for the calibers I load for less frequently ) I have a cool old coke display shelf that I have above my bench that stores a few packs of bullets and is where I keep my powder.

I would like to know how guys store fired brass before the next reload? Depending on how much I have just been using ziploc bags but I am looking for a better method.

Mike
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM

I use a lee classic re loader and its various components, all mounted on a 3'X24" piece of 3/4" plywood that I mounted onto a two drawer filing cabinet,that keeps the odds and ends neatly tucked away!
my bench does move a bit,but when I have more room for it I will add some weights into the bottom drawer. the whole set up is designed for a apartment sized room and sits at the foot of my bed. An old dinette (small) chair is where I sit for re loading.I found the beam scale that lee supplied takes too long to for weighing so I have an electronic scale. and of course the obligatory calipers.
Maybe with my phone I could actually get a pic of it up.Small but effective
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM

Cool

despite the childish antics, i learned some tips that i will use in the building of mine. thanks all for the pics and helpfull tips.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM

I know I posted here today...nothing I said was "inflammatory".....but yet my post vanished?

So I will repeat what I had said....EH11 my bench often is in a disarray and I agreed with what MikeW had to say about his bench getting messy too.....the important thing is to be organized when it comes time to actually reload.

So once I clean mine up nicely....I may post a pic or 2

LC
Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I would like to know how guys store fired brass before the next reload? Depending on how much I have just been using ziploc bags but I am looking for a better method.

Mike
I throw mine in a food saver bag and vacuum seal it. It stops the brass from moving around in the bag, and keeps the necks from getting banged up.

It also keeps the brass fresh, and it lasts way longer!

R.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I know I posted here today...nothing I said was "inflammatory".....but yet my post vanished?
LC
Hey! Me too!

R.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 PM

Default maybe this works?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
lets you see my set up so I guess it works
I have had no luck with photo bucket all it does is duplicate and triplicate my photos on my computer.
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

Mike
Baggies or in ammo boxes, in various drawers, cupboards, and boxes !

Cat
Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM

I use big storage bins I anchor on the walls ,works good and easily organized and big enough bins to actually store things in. cheap

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/cate...torage-Systems