Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Banned

Rocky7 did you tweak the setpoints in your rcbs chargemaster ? Its twice as good if you do, and add 1/2" mcdonalds straw in the end of dispenser tube, that way kernels dont bunch up, you will never ever over throw a charge again.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 PM

I know the scale is a far cry from being speedy when making rounds, I do use the powder dump as much as possible too. I have often threatend to buy an auto charge dispenser(RCBS or Lyman), but I reload to relax and give me something to do all winter long. Some day Santa Claus may surprise me with one though By the way, for those interested, the work surface on my bench is a cut down Solid Core Birch door.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
There is so much wrong with your set up elk a grade 10 shop kid could pull off better so no I have nothing to add next time I need advice on equipment you don’t have I will be sure to ask you
Could we see your bench please?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
Rocky7 did you tweak the setpoints in your rcbs chargemaster ? Its twice as good if you do, and add 1/2" mcdonalds straw in the end of dispenser tube, that way kernels dont bunch up, you will never ever over throw a charge again.
I have a Chargemaster too, and I keep seeing the same tip about the 1/2" McDonald's straw on the internet. I totally understand it, because I have devised ways to avoid the powder dump when only .2 grains away (involving strategically tapping the spout).

The last time I was in McDonald's though, it seems they discontinued those good ol' fashioned yellow and brown straws, and instead have the individually wrapped ones that are not the same diameter. Any other sources for those straws or similar?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Make it as stable as possible, and either make it heavy, or bolt it down. I built mine with 2x4s and 1" plywood, and tied it all together with wood screws and bolts. I have about 200lbs of weight on mine to stabilize it.

Nice job Elk. Looks plenty solid and I like all the green. RCBS makes good stuff for sure. A class setup.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 AM

This is my small set up. Table is able to be moved to where ever I need it. Press and powder thrower are attached to the table with bolts and T-nuts put under the table top.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
When you don't know what your doing do it neatly
Nice positive attitude!We need more like you on AO
NOT
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 AM

Well after the trash talk in this thread from I am certainly not posting a picture of mine. I would get laughed out of here.

Wonderful setups guys. I envy all of you.

Last edited by deanmc; 01-07-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTrekr View Post
I have a Chargemaster too, and I keep seeing the same tip about the 1/2" McDonald's straw on the internet. I totally understand it, because I have devised ways to avoid the powder dump when only .2 grains away (involving strategically tapping the spout).

The last time I was in McDonald's though, it seems they discontinued those good ol' fashioned yellow and brown straws, and instead have the individually wrapped ones that are not the same diameter. Any other sources for those straws or similar?
I would look at your grocery store. If it dont quite fit tight enough give it a wrap or two on the straw with scotch tape just to build up the diameter of straw. I load alot of various charge weights and powders and never have any issues. Highly recommend you tweak the program though, twice as fast for sure if you do it right.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I would look at your grocery store. If it dont quite fit tight enough give it a wrap or two on the straw with scotch tape just to build up the diameter of straw. I load alot of various charge weights and powders and never have any issues. Highly recommend you tweak the program though, twice as fast for sure if you do it right.
Have you tried one of those candy straws ? You know, the ones filled with sweet powder that the kids can suck out of the straw.
Those straws are a bit bigger then your regular sipping straws.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Banned

I got a straw that works with no issues. It shouldn't be too hard to find one that will work.My Lyman dps3 collects dust, rcbs is the one you want to buy that's for sure.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 AM

One note I think may be worth mentioning on the NRMA bench is the front overhang may be a bit too short depending on what you want to mount on there. I seem to be too close to the front table support sometimes, it is only 2" to the front of the 2x4 table frame.. I didn't build this one, I bought it. I would look at having a 6 to 8 " overhang on it, or build it with slots to hold the components into the bench tabletop edge.. if I was to build it for myself. It may be that the fella that built mine built it a bit short, I have not checked it against the plan. He did bolt the top to the legs, it will come apart to move it, which is nice.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Auto correct
See if you can find an "autothink" button. You need to use it.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Default Chargemaster

Quote:
Tweak the program? Whazzup with that? Funny I never heard about it; I'm always alert for ways to fix things that aren't broken.

Seriously though, I'm interested. What did you do and what were the gains?

Not sure about the straw idea. What's the benefit there, exactly? Does it flip out the kernels easier when you get close the end of a charge? That might be worth a go, but I'm not going to tape anything on the end. I think the electronics/balance are probably too sensitive for that.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Way faster, less time waiting to dispense. Straw helps so powder dont bunch up at end of tube than when its trickling last bit out. It wont overshoot your desired charge weight. The straw dont affect the balance or sensitivity. I will post when i have time about the setpoint tweaks.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 AM

Was trying to find this the other nite, found it by accident this AM, bench plans;

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...th-free-plans/

And here is the info on speeding up a Chargemaster;

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...gemaster-1500/
Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
There is so much wrong with your set up elk a grade 10 shop kid could pull off better so no I have nothing to add next time I need advice on equipment you don’t have I will be sure to ask you
Dang I was thinking Elks bench looks alot like mine!
What so wrong with it?
Granted his setup looks a little messy but I think the picture was of your bench and not your setup. There are times my bench looks messy as hell but thats not how it is 95% of the time......Ill take some pictures when I get time of a sweet press mount my pops "Conan" welded up for me, really makes a solid mounting surface and extends out the bolt holes for better leverage which fatiges the bench a bunch less!!

I too have the chargemaster ....got it this summer and it is one slick machine much better than using a powder scoop and the "tap tap tap" hand and finger trickler.
I would say I can load up 50 chells in about half the time it use to take me.
I have found that certain powders flow/trickle better than others but I don't find it to be a big deal to use a scoop and pull out two or three individial grains of powder I would say 80% are perfect to the grain ......that said I will look into the McDonalds straw trick.

Mike
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Granted his setup looks a little messy but I think the picture was of your bench and not your setup. There are times my bench looks messy as hell but thats not how it is 95% of the time..
Exactly, I was in the middle of doing some load development, which is why there were several items laying around, and someone asked for a rough idea of my layout, so I took a quick picture for them. I based my layout on the way that I load. I size brass in the press, then move over to the trimmer, and then the case prep tool. When loading ammunition, I start by dropping a powder charge, then weighing it, then seating a bullet. As such, I start at the measure on my left, and work from left to right to my press. As for my bench, it isn't fancy, but it is very solid, which allows my scale to remain zeroed as I weigh charge after charge.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Exactly, I was in the middle of doing some load development, which is why there were several items laying around, and someone asked for a rough idea of my layout, so I took a quick picture for them.
Well, don't do it again. The Benchrest Police keep a keen eye on housekeeping and this infraction will have to go onto your file, I'm afraid.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Well, don't do it again. The Benchrest Police keep a keen eye on housekeeping and this infraction will have to go onto your file, I'm afraid.

That just made my day!!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 PM

I made this one a few years back. It's solid as a rock and twice as heavy. It doesn't move at all while reloading. The top is made of 2x6's sandwiched between 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF. The rest is made of 2x4's, 2x6's and a couple 2x2's. The top is covered with formica and all edges are routered. The whole thing is coated with Verathane Diamond Coat so it doesn't absorb cleaners and lubricants. I still have the plans if anyones interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reloading Bench.jpg (71.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyinHell View Post
I made this one a few years back. It's solid as a rock and twice as heavy. It doesn't move at all while reloading. The top is made of 2x6's sandwiched between 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF. The rest is made of 2x4's, 2x6's and a couple 2x2's. The top is covered with formica and all edges are routered. The whole thing is coated with Verathane Diamond Coat so it doesn't absorb cleaners and lubricants. I still have the plans if anyones interested.
Very nice. I'll trade you a single shot Cooey .22 for it I'll even throw in a box of ammo of your choice.

I wish I wouldn't have dropped out of building construction in high school after looking at some of these really nice setups.

Great work, guys.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default Chargemaster Tweaks

I while back when I got my Chargemaster, I printed out the tweak codes for it. I've got them on paper, but here's a link to them.

http://www.sahuntingrifle.co.za/inde...catid=8&id=185
Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Very nice. I'll trade you a single shot Cooey .22 for it I'll even throw in a box of ammo of your choice.

I wish I wouldn't have dropped out of building construction in high school after looking at some of these really nice setups.

Great work, guys.
Ah you shoulda told me sooner, I just traded my wife for one. I don't want to be greedy and have two in my lockers.
It's actually really easy to make if you have the tools and time.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, from a guy that shoots nothing but the best rifles and optics that life has to offer. One that comes off as the authority as just about every topic that mankind could possibly experience, that reloading bench appears somewhat as a dissapointment to me, I was truly expecting a lot more. I was expecting more than a door, a couple of 2x4's. Truly, as gopher said, Google is the friend eh!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
that reloading bench appears somewhat as a dissapointment to me, I was truly expecting a lot more. I was expecting more than a door, a couple of 2x4's.
There was no door used to build my loading bench, I specifically stated that it was built using 2x4s and 1" plywood, as well as bolts and wood screws. Apparently your reading comprehension is lacking, and your imagination is acting up as well.

Quote:
Google is the friend eh!
You might find a picture of a door using google.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I while back when I got my Chargemaster, I printed out the tweak codes for it. I've got them on paper, but here's a link to them.

http://www.sahuntingrifle.co.za/inde...catid=8&id=185
32-40 already posted the info, thanks. You must've missed it while you were morphing into Gopher.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
There was no door used to build my loading bench, I specifically stated that it was built using 2x4s and 1" plywood, as well as bolts and wood screws. Apparently your reading comprehension is lacking, and your imagination is acting up as well.

You might find a picture of a door using google.
No, no nothing wrong with it, it's all good.........for starters!. You da man!.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You must've missed it while you were morphing into Gopher.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
32-40 already posted the info, thanks. You must've missed it while you were morphing into Gopher.
Kinda like you're hopelessly attempting to morph yourself as another with your avatar? Let it go, you'll never have the come up kin's to match Huntinstuff, as hard as you may try/