Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2007, 05:33 PM
chef

Default do you know the difference

seems to be alot of problems differing between hunts.
hunting foothill rabbits requires alot of heavy thick brush,fallen trees heavy marsh with limited visibility ,
do we agree so far .
stalking through this vegetation can be very tiring and seeing a rabbit in this such brushage can be almost impossible.
are ya still with me .
when i deer hunt i stay away from such miserable thicket material.if i do hunt this stuff its from a treestand usually.
i use trails ,fields,cutlines, logging roads,etc,
i do not have to venture into this foliage to seek deer ,
when i stalk a deer its nice and slow and usually quiet and far less noisy ,this is because i have a lack of underbrush and heavy spruce to foil my atempted stalk.
thus i feel persuing rabbits is more tiring because you do not sit and rest ,you do not hunt in the open as often ,the game rarely come to you (unless its being chased by the dog )but you still have to do alot of running to get into position for a shot ,
spot and stalk deer can be sometimes but not often tiring ,you have a gun that ranges ,according to some on here 500 yards ,so you sneek behind a hay bale ,sometimes you are in the hills and it requires a bit of swamp work but the chances of getting through the thickest crap to get a deer is so impossible ,most guys dont bother so they go around .
are we still following .
HENCE stalking a little invisible rabbit in hellish crap is tougher than stalking or hunting a deer in the opposite conditions.

please do not confuse this with sniping jacks at 1oo plus yards with a 22 or 17.which is fine also ,

keep focused.
we are talking about hare in the heart of the foothills where even the coyote cant get to them .
a slingshot cant even come close to the weapon of choice and a centrefire rifle wouldnt get through the shrubbage.

HAVE AT ER BOYS all comments and critisisms are welcome as long as you leave the names home, and i promise to be good.
ps/// if you really have no experience ,,keep you opinion to yourself.